DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
0 members and 535 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
Thread: NegativeGs
View Single Post
Unread
  (#2)
NegativeGs
Wing nut

December 24, 2002, 01:05 PM

Tifosi, thanks.

I've had one short ride on it so far. Unfortunately, I had to work Saturday and Sunday during the nice weather. Hoping to get a few more miles in before New Years.

I haven't ridden a 996/998, but have been on a 748 a few times. I was originally planning on getting a 748 last summer until I saw the 999. I decided to wait and get the 999.

The front of the seat where it meets the tank is very narrow, easier to plant the feet. I am 5' 6" with a 30" inseam, I am still on the balls of my feet, but leaning slightly either way, I can flat foot it. Doesn't really bother me as I have ridden bikes a lot taller. The sides of the seat are a sharp corner and it does dig into your thigh if you sit feet down for any length of time. The seat has tons of room. Plenty of room to move forward or backward and it is very wide. Rock hard though. Also it is flat instead of sloping forward which eleviates some of the pressure on the wrists.

I haven't messed with the foot control adjustments but I will soon. The factory settings require you to be a contortionist to reach. The brake pedal is set high and pretty far back. I will probably set the pegs to the highest setting and adjust the shifter and brake pedal when I get a chance.

Can't be too objective on the handling yet as the tires haven't been scrubbed in all the way and the brakes haven't been bedded. The turn does feel lighter than the 748. The suspension is a little stiff for my weight. I think the factory settings are set up for a 170/175 pound rider, I am at 150lbs. After the first of the year, I will go through and set the static and dymanic sag and ride height and set the suspension up for my weight. The bike feels very light, especially at the top. The center of gravity feels very low. The bike feels very small and visually looks small but that may just be my perception.

The fit and finish is top notch. It came with a tool kit but it is mounted inside the right fairing whcih requires removal to get to it. There is a wrench under the passenger seat to remove the fairing. I think it would have been a lot more convenient to put the tool kit under the seat. I'll probably move it there later.

The dash and gauge cluster is pretty cool. It has a lot of features including a clock, lap timer, highest speed, etc, but will require a thorough study of the owner's manual to remember how to access all of the functions. The mirrors pretty much suck as far as being able to see anything behind you, but are easy to adjust while riding. You get a great view of your elbows!

All in all, I am very happy with it. I think it will be a very fun ride once I get it set up for my weight and riding style. Can't wait for spring to put some serious miles on it.

Have a great holiday season and I am sure I'll see you on the road in the future.

Tom

- Don't Dream It, Do It! -
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to NegativeGs