DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 517
5 members and 512 guests
beatle, fxc3700, Nobrains, Slider, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
View Single Post
Unread
  (#9)
okayh
Chasing the dragon

June 20, 2018, 09:41 PM

YMMV

With circa-2015 EoP units, I had a Cisco ISR router for VoIP and VPN set up on my home network and latency was consistently low/reasonable. I have them repurposed now for connecting in a NUC sandbox node. Again, no issues. Connections had to cross breakers in both cases.

I know older ones had teething problems caused by what you stated. Some home wiring and house types will be more problematic for sure as sources of interference come into play.

EoP, IMO, IS a viable option if you have a suitable use case and physical topology.

Dropping the coin on a solid wireless setup if you are willing to pay for drops is probably what I would lean toward, however...

EDIT:

To answer the OG question on wiring without the need for drywall repair...

It depends on your houses layout and access. Old work gang boxes would help cut down on the need for needless drywall holes. Depending on where the wire is getting dropped from, sometimes an access cut to drill a hole into a stud is just gonna have to happen. If you have any places near where you want drops that are unfinished or have drop tiles, it would make the job easier.

A lot of variables. I just ran some electrical in my house over the weekend for new lighting. Didn't have to open a hole for fishing a new branch into an existing gang box. I am anticipating opening a hole to take an outlet off of the same switch, though...

More gas, less brake

Last edited by okayh; June 20, 2018 at 09:49 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to