DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 198
7 members and 191 guests
2blueyam, Cinko, Heist, Slider, superchickencornermonster, t84a, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
View Single Post
Unread
  (#12)
Cinko
Always Tinkering

June 21, 2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
MoCA seems like a great idea, because I have coax everywhere I could want a wired Ethernet connection and then some, but in have read that it doesn't work if there are splitters in the path, and I have no way of knowing how many and where they could be in the walls.

TNT, I just had my house ran with hard lines using cat 6. I had it run from the basement up. So the basement has 4 rooms hard wired (living room, Playroom/movie room and master downstairs) and then fed upstairs to the master bedroom and the living room. 6 rooms total.

I run a lot of high usage internet applications for work, with video sharing/screen sharing/ license sharing etc. and was determined to have dedicated lines to not have any drop in service.

I was redoing the entire basement so had no ceiling at the time, and ran everything between the joist/ floor boards and up into the walls of the rooms above. Then after all my wires were run (coax, Ethernet, power) I put the up a drywall ceiling. It was a lot of work, and if you plan on having it done while you have finished drywall up they have to either run everything up to the attic and downwards or make cut outs at every other joist and run it through the ceiling and patch the cutouts afterwards... its a lot of work to do it that way and ALOT of money if you are hiring a contractor.

I can tell you without any doubt, as much as its nice to have hard lines everywhere. There is no point of spending the money for something like that when wireless has got as good as it has.

I'm in Annapolis too by the way. If your like me we have Verizon FiOS available with at either 100/100 to 200/200 Mgb download /upload.

Even though my whole house is now run for wired, I use the wireless in the house almost entirely.

Here's is the wireless I bought
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-max-stream-ac2200-tri-band-wi-fi-router-black/5788100.p?skuId=5788100
This covers over 2000 square feet at 85+ percent optimization meaning at 100/100 you are getting at least 85+ or 170+ for 200/200

I have also used this extender at my office in order to get the maximum range and also its at least 85+ optimized
Here is the extender, and you can further out that coverage quite a bit:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/linksys-ac1200-dual-band-wi-fi-range-extender-white/4229300.p?skuId=4229300

Honestly, in most cases I am actually nearly 100 percent of what I should be getting using wireless, now I only use the Hard lines for my TVs that were already designed to be where the LAN outlets are that I installed.

Keep in mind I have several TVS and 3 of my tvs are smart TVS and I also stream 4k, 2 laptops 2 workstations and about 10 mobile devices (cellphones/tablets) and have no issues with running several of them at the same time on my wireless network.

Install that wireless in the upper floor, and put an extender if need be at any area that you feel is not getting above 85% bandwidth of what you pay for.

Wired LAN for the most part is now dead, and most electronics no longer even come with wired LAN connections.

Trust me a good wireless will now do the job without the headache and save you several hundred of not more money and also skip all the mess of the contractor.
  Send a message via AIM to