DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 566
1 members and 565 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net
Thread: HOV crash
View Single Post
HOV crash
Unread
  (#1)
beatle
Railing!

HOV crash - June 28, 2019, 09:47 AM

Tuesday morning I had a crash. I was on the 395 HOV lanes a bit north of Seminary, moving with traffic around 70-75. I was in the left lane and there was one of those black bases normally fitted to the bottom of the large striped construction barrels sitting in the lane. It had recently been hit by a car as it was wobbling. With no chance to brake or swerve, I went over in on my Bonneville and the front end folded up quickly, dropping me to the right in short order.

I rolled a lot. Not sure how long, but I remember trying to think if I should rotate myself or extend my arms and legs to keep from rolling over them. Seemed like a long time if I had time to think about these things, but then again I know your brain slows things down. I came to a stop in the right lane and saw a bus go by on the shoulder only a foot or two from me. An SUV in the left lane where I was originally was rear ended as he slammed on his brakes. My bike ended up a few dozen feet up the road.

I was wearing most of the right gear: Arai helmet, Held namib gloves, Alpinestars mesh jacket, Kreiga R25 backpack. I was wearing boots, but not motorcycle boots. Unfortunately my pants had no kevlar or armor, so my right knee took a beating since it was one of the first things to hit. Nothing broken, but there's an ugly hole. I only have a few other scrapes and bruises elsewhere thanks to my gear and the fact that I didn't hit anything but the new pavement.

I feel pretty fortunate all in all. I do own a couple pairs of kevlar lined dress pants, but not enough to wear every day I ride. I think I'll ride again, but if it's not fun anymore, I'll just get out of it.

2010 Triumph Street Triple R
2008 Triumph Street Triple (track)
2010 Triumph Bonneville
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
2018 Triumph Bobber Black
2019 Honda Monkey ABS
  Send a message via AIM to