DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 456
3 members and 453 guests
1Bronco, BlackHatch, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bike lemon laws
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Bike lemon laws - September 8, 2018, 12:01 PM

Back in December of 2017 I bought a 2016 Thruxton R from a dealership in New Orleans. I had the bike shipped up here in late January. I noticed at one point shortly after taking delivery of it that the gauges died while I was riding, and the bike would occasionally not want to start on the first crank, though it would always start on the second. I got a CEL related to the ECU and the gauges losing sync which seemed appropriate.

There was a recall for an ECU calibration issue so I took it to the dealership in February. I mentioned these two issues and they said they are often solved by the software update, but to let them know if they persist.

Several months later (June) I find the gauges flaking out entirely again and throwing the same code. It happened as I was pulling into the parking lot at work so I was able to get video:

https://youtu.be/k6Mv2ersK6w

Back to the dealership it goes. They check the connections, ride it a bit, then tell me I can pick it up. They still can't reproduce the problem. I don't really blame them for not being able to reproduce the problem as it is indeed very sporadic. I pick it up, ride it to work for a week or two, then find that the bike won't start. The gauges all read zero and all the modes flash, indicative of the loss of sync again. I get video of this as well:

https://youtu.be/H3MYVAmpVxE

I drop it off at the dealership again. This is mid-July, busy season. They have it for close to a month. They told me they had someone from Triumph North America come out to work with them, but again they cannot reproduce the problem. They tell me that they've cleaned all the connectors and applied dielectric grease, hoping that the problem is fixed. At this point they say they'd just start replacing the cluster, ECU, or both if it continues. It was ok for a few weeks and then the gauges start freaking out while I'm riding - just a little different this time:

https://youtu.be/6PPCEeegz1k

They also died completely a couple different times on my ride home this morning, not sure if there was a code or not. I don't think so.

At this point the bike will be going back to the dealership for this problem 4 times. 3 if you don't count the first trip for the recall, but it did happen before the recall was addressed. I really want the bike fixed, but I'm getting sick of schlepping it back and forth to Sterling.

The bike is mostly stock, but it does have different exhaust cans, an x-pipe, an aftermarket fender eliminator w/LEDs, and I wired up a pair of horns through a relay, though I did the job properly. I also installed OEM heated grips and OEM LED front signals. At no point has the dealership mentioned anything about my mods being a cause for concern. I am planning to drop the word "lemon" when I leave the bike with them this afternoon, though I am not sure what laws apply (Lousiana? Virginia?) or what options that opens up for me if they treat this as a lemon. The factory warranty expires in November, I think.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Triumph-ant

September 8, 2018, 02:33 PM

Did these problems occur prior to modifying it?

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

September 8, 2018, 02:35 PM

I bought the bike with the fender eliminator and the exhaust. I had the issue before I did anything else.
Unread
  (#4)
Triumph-ant

September 8, 2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I bought the bike with the fender eliminator and the exhaust. I had the issue before I did anything else.
Hmm I'm curious if it will affect your warranty. I presume you're filing for a "lemon law" since your warranty is still valid...

I'd definitely do it. My instinct would be to use another ECU and gauge as well. If the problem still persists then there's something funky with the relays or cables

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

September 8, 2018, 02:49 PM

We'll see. The dealership, Motorcycles of Dulles, has been terrific about everything, but at the end of the day I still have a faulty bike. I'd rather not replace the bike. I'd rather have the current one working properly with some assurance that I'll be ok if it comes up again. Maybe if they extend the warranty a couple years or so.
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

September 9, 2018, 04:21 PM

They should just go ahead and replace the cluster and the ecu. If it happens again after that, lemon that thing. I'm sure it will be a pita to go through the process but winter is around the corner.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

September 10, 2018, 09:55 PM

I had a friend in Florida who picked up a problematic Kawi from a dealer in PA.

From what I recall, in his case, the Lemon Laws for motorcycles are no different that the Lemon Law for passenger vehicles.

BUT you are beholden to the laws of the state in which it was purchased, not the state where it was registered.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

September 11, 2018, 06:23 AM

Well this is lame then:

https://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/aut.../lemon-law.php

Doesn't apply to motorcycles?
Unread
  (#9)
No more 1050 :(

September 12, 2018, 07:11 PM

Check the wiring on that tail tidy. Could be something bare in there shorting out, which would fuck all sorts of things up. If that's all clean, I'd ask for a new ECU/ cluster.
Unread
  (#10)
Triumph-ant

September 12, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
Check the wiring on that tail tidy. Could be something bare in there shorting out, which would fuck all sorts of things up. If that's all clean, I'd ask for a new ECU/ cluster.
^

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

September 13, 2018, 06:03 AM

There's no checking it now. It has been at the dealer since Saturday.
Unread
  (#12)
Triumph-ant

September 24, 2018, 10:31 PM

Any progress on the bike beatle?

1996 GS500E - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#13)
Railing!

September 25, 2018, 05:59 AM

No calls from the dealership yet. I think I'll call corporate today though.