DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 647
4 members and 643 guests
drt_Jumper, GRN96WS6, Heist, RileysDad
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
DC police vehicle involved in another fatality of a citizen on a motorcycle
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

DC police vehicle involved in another fatality of a citizen on a motorcycle - May 6, 2018, 09:06 PM

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...481785961.html

Last edited by gixxer123; May 21, 2018 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: more user friendly ;)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

May 6, 2018, 09:46 PM

idiot had it coming.

riding 'dirty' with worn out knobs on pavement.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#3)
Triumph-ant

May 6, 2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
idiot had it coming.

riding 'dirty' with worn out knobs on pavement.
Agreed. Natural selection working its process

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

May 7, 2018, 01:38 AM

oh okay. So yall support death as the penalty for a minor traffic violation?

the city is about to pay out millions yet again

I'm sure DC's residents (who have to pay for this) will start to speak out
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

May 7, 2018, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer123 View Post

Now that is an interesting way of spinning things around, hahahaha.

It's sad that he passed away from HIS ACTIONS, but being HIS ACTIONS I highly doubt the city will have to pay off anything. Unless of course the cop car purposely hit him dead on. Then again if you wouldn't be illegally driving the wrong way at an illegal speed on an illegal vehicle...

2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#6)
whoa preppy......

May 7, 2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I think Leo hit it however,

Being killed in an accident and being sentenced to death are false equivalents.
Minor traffic violations and riding the wrong way at a high rate of speed are also false equivalents.

Using this logic, Jeffery Wayne Price is pulled over going 35mph in a 25mph zone and is sentenced to death by lethal injection.

2018 Z125 Pro
2016 Concours 1400
2018 Ninja 400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

May 7, 2018, 08:47 AM

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. The idiots that do this in cities such as DC are a menace to society. No loss there.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

May 7, 2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
Now that is an interesting way of spinning things around, hahahaha.

It's sad that he passed away from HIS ACTIONS, but being HIS ACTIONS I highly doubt the city will have to pay off anything. Unless of course the cop car purposely hit him dead on. Then again if you wouldn't be illegally driving the wrong way at an illegal speed on an illegal vehicle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
I think Leo hit it however,

Being killed in an accident and being sentenced to death are false equivalents.
Minor traffic violations and riding the wrong way at a high rate of speed are also false equivalents.

Using this logic, Jeffery Wayne Price is pulled over going 35mph in a 25mph zone and is sentenced to death by lethal injection.

Wow, I can't believe yall believe what the police said. Like did yall even look at or watch the video? Wrong side of the road? At the crash point, the bike was on the CORRECT side of the road, the cop was on the WRONG side of the road. The cops lied just like they lied when they killed sterling. The bike would have hit an oncoming car head on if he was riding on the wrong side, smh. The bike crashed into the passenger side of a police truck in HIS lane!!

No payout? The city paid out millions when they killed sterling. The police car broke the same police policy yet again in this case: using their car as a battering ram AND chasing motorcycles.

The cop purposely darted out at the intersection at the last minute, again, just look where the police car is located. The cop basically committed vehicular homicide. They learned NOTHING from the Sterling case.

This is not a case of a bike riding recklessly, this could have happen to ANY of of motorcyclist if we are riding down a road and a cop purposely tries to kill us. Please actually read and examine this case
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

May 7, 2018, 09:45 AM

Did you watch the video? The skidmarks clearly show the rider was on the wrong side of the road and crossed back to the right side, and the rider clearly broadsided the police car. A loss of life is always tragic, and regardless of circumstances this is a horrible outcome. I do not however, with out additional information, think the police intentionally intended to harm or kill the rider.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

May 7, 2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Did you watch the video? The skidmarks clearly show the rider was on the wrong side of the road and crossed back to the right side, and the rider clearly broadsided the police car. A loss of life is always tragic, and regardless of circumstances this is a horrible outcome. I do not however, with out additional information, think the police intentionally intended to harm or kill the rider.

The cop was in the oncoming lane. At what point, or what good reason would the police car be perpendicular to bikers lane, the correct lane on the road, going down the hill? Why would a cop's front windshield be facing the curb of a lane of oncoming traffic? Where was the cop going facing the curb? should he be going in the direction of traffic?????

The cop clearly cut the biker off killing him.

Just like when they killed Sterling, the truth will all come out. They lied at the beginning of that case too about what actually happened. Cops have done the same here
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

May 7, 2018, 11:26 AM

Question: Would he be dead if he wasn't running from the police and traveling at a rate that is at least 2-3X the speed-limit?

Answer: No

If the cop cut him off and entered the lane of traffic to use his vehicle as a battering ram, I am not okay with that...but lets not get it twisted. His choices created a ripple event of choices that led him down that path.

If the police do not attempt to intercept the fleeing vehicle and he plows into a bus stop, you can bet the police are going to be in the shit at that point. Rightfully so as well.

Seeing as we don't know anything at this point, we should probably withhold judgement.

What I do see is a cruiser that was struck in the reverse lane of traffic. That said, I also see skid marks of some significant length that indicate a high rate of speed and that the motorcyclist was traveling down the wrong lane of traffic as well.

That would seem to indicate that they were playing a bit of a game of chicken. Bad choice in that case when you are on the bike vs. the car.
Unread
  (#12)
thanksfornothing.org

May 7, 2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
A loss of life is always tragic
Not always...
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Triumph-ant

May 7, 2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Question: Would he be dead if he wasn't running from the police and traveling at a rate that is at least 2-3X the speed-limit?

Answer: No

If the cop cut him off and entered the lane of traffic to use his vehicle as a battering ram, I am not okay with that...but lets not get it twisted. His choices created a ripple event of choices that led him down that path.

If the police do not attempt to intercept the fleeing vehicle and he plows into a bus stop, you can bet the police are going to be in the shit at that point. Rightfully so as well.

Seeing as we don't know anything at this point, we should probably withhold judgement.

What I do see is a cruiser that was struck in the reverse lane of traffic. That said, I also see skid marks of some significant length that indicate a high rate of speed and that the motorcyclist was traveling down the wrong lane of traffic as well.

That would seem to indicate that they were playing a bit of a game of chicken. Bad choice in that case when you are on the bike vs. the car.
That's quite reasonable. I suppose we should wait until the complete story is shared

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#14)
Full spin ahead.

May 7, 2018, 01:44 PM

I'm kind of conflicted about this. It's not like someone deserved to die, but how is an LEO supposed to stop a fleeing vehicle if not by barricading escape routes?

A cruiser shouldn't be used to run a biker down, but I'm guessing that pulling in front of a fleeing vehicle is one of the standard methods to apprehend. The old "you can't outrun a radio" saying implies that the police may not be hot on your tail, but you can bet that they'll be waiting down the road trying to block your path.

We'll have to wait and see if any dashcam footage emerges, but it seems like they didn't run him down as much as they followed procedure to stop a fleeing vehicle. That's what they would have done if he were in a car. Unfortunately for the young man, it looks his decision to flee on a a bike is what lead to the outcome, given the predictable response of the police trying to stop him.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#15)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

May 7, 2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
This is not a case of a bike riding recklessly, this could have happen to ANY of of motorcyclist if we are riding down a road and a cop purposely tries to kill us.
But it didn't, it happened to a motorcyclist that was riding recklessly.

Complain all you want about the actions of the officer but it carries little weight unless it's happening to innocent people.

-Ryan