DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 434
9 members and 425 guests
bluhokie12, Diggy, DocZ, drnknmnky13, HockeyFan, pnbell, Scot, SHYUperman, superchickencornermonster
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Intermittent starting - 2016 Kawi Versys 650 LT
Unread
  (#1)
I hate Hybrid drivers

Intermittent starting - 2016 Kawi Versys 650 LT - May 19, 2017, 02:13 PM

Good day gents,

I have a 2016 Kawi Versys 650LT. I call it my old man bike.

When it sits for a couple days it doesn't want to start. The first time it did it was last Monday right when I wanted to go to work. I thought it was the spark plugs since it had 10,000 miles on it. I changed them real quick and it didn't start immediately. I had to cycle the key a few times, then it started no problem. I dismissed this as air bubble in the pressurized fuel system. Once started it runs well. And tends to start back up after sitting between 10 seconds to 8 hours.

I worked from home Wed and Thursday and I go try to start it this morning. The fuel pump primes, but won't start. It turns over but doesn't fire. I cycled the key a couple times and on the 4th time it started. Ran fine to work. I expect it to start this evening so I can go home.

It's under warranty until April so what could be causing this? There is no reason to drop it off at the dealer until I can duplicate the problem on purpose in my opinion. I'm thinking electrical firing issue. What would cause it to be intermittent based on not riding it for a couple days.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Triumph-ant

May 19, 2017, 04:06 PM

Test the starter solenoid. Had the same issue twice on the daytona and it was the culprit

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i
Unread
  (#3)
I hate Hybrid drivers

May 19, 2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_the_man View Post
Test the starter solenoid. Had the same issue twice on the daytona and it was the culprit
Doesn't the starter solenoid just make the starter turn? The engine turns over but doesn't start.
Unread
  (#4)
Triumph-ant

May 19, 2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
Doesn't the starter solenoid just make the starter turn? The engine turns over but doesn't start.
You're right I misread that

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i
Unread
  (#5)
Slowest Going Straight

May 20, 2017, 06:34 AM

I had a similar issue with the ninja 1000 I owned a few years ago. I got over it by just blipping the throttle when pressing the starter. It seemed to be not getting enough fuel when first starting after sitting but my Ninja did this every time regardless of how long it was off for. Your versus sounds like it may be something more.

MSF Rider Coach 166210
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

May 20, 2017, 07:48 AM

I'd spend exactly no seconds of additional time continuing to try to diagnose this. It's under warranty - you paid for someone else to spend their time troubleshooting.

Record each start-up until the problem happens.

That video will be sent to the dealer service tech to show them it's not a phantom problem, and inform them the best chance of duplication is by leaving the bike alone for >10 hours before trying to start it.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
I hate Hybrid drivers

May 22, 2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I'd spend exactly no seconds of additional time continuing to try to diagnose this. It's under warranty - you paid for someone else to spend their time troubleshooting.

Record each start-up until the problem happens.

That video will be sent to the dealer service tech to show them it's not a phantom problem, and inform them the best chance of duplication is by leaving the bike alone for >10 hours before trying to start it.
I need to record a start process. I meant to do that this morning. I'm not a fan of people touching my bike. Since it's my daily rider I don't want it sitting at the dealer for weeks while someone waits for motivation to figure out the problem.
Unread
  (#8)
What is a chicken strip?

June 27, 2017, 07:46 AM

so did you figure out what it was?

if not, what is the cranking voltage vs batt at rest?

how long has this been happening? my next guess is bad gas.

ps..you have my phone number...
Unread
  (#9)
My Chicken eats Busa's

June 30, 2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
I need to record a start process. I meant to do that this morning. I'm not a fan of people touching my bike. Since it's my daily rider I don't want it sitting at the dealer for weeks while someone waits for motivation to figure out the problem.
Bring it to Brooks Cycles and you won't have that problem.

....just sayin'

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

Click here for Brooks Cycles!