DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
7 members and 490 guests
bds120, BigDaddyShoo, BigE, lemond, ReasonableDoubt, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The most famous contemporary rider?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

The most famous contemporary rider? - December 6, 2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
It seems like everyone I meet plans to follow the young Che Guavara, now that seduction of random latinos has been politically sanctified, and take off on their motorbike and adventure through the poverty and pleasures of South and Central America. And who can blame them? But there are other lands to explore.

Last year I rode my motorcycle from Ho Chi Min City (Saigon) to Hanoi, up the highway that borders the South China Sea.

On the road to Hanoi something caught my attention and that of every vehicle near me. We had to watch constantly and take action every few seconds or it would have killed us all.

The road to Hanoi is a Vietnamese economic artery but is nonetheless dominated by potholes, thousands the size of bomb craters. There are constant reminders of “The American War” all over Vietnam, and perhaps this was one of them, but in a more indirect way.
The answer is WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. The quote is from the archives of his defunct personal blog.

(Via sportbiker.net)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

December 6, 2010, 02:29 PM

Still an asshat. Too bad he didn't highside into a truck.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 6, 2010, 06:56 PM

I'm not sure about all the strong feelings about this guy.

It seems like nothing interesting was released. Just a bit of very tabloidy funny/sad/embarrassing quotes here and there. It's a fun read. But news organizations seem to be blowing everything out of proportion and making it sound more dramatic than it is.
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 6, 2010, 07:01 PM

Names of afghan informants were released, and those people are now in hiding.

A list of sensitive terrorism targets important sites was released, giving asshats a nice, easy targeting package.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 6, 2010, 07:32 PM

I thought that names were redacted?

That "list of targets" was overblown. I mean, I can tell you right now that oil and gas pipelines are targets. So are dams and major buildings and important producers of things.

NYT, Washington Post, major networks - basically everybody that is in the news business - has classified stuff (illegally) leaked to them and they in turn disclose it. But our government is not actively trying to put NYT reporters in jail. It seems like the only difference with Wikileaks is that they do a better job in scoring these documents.

Rumor is that bank bailout info may be next...
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

December 7, 2010, 10:09 PM

Freedom of information is a good thing. Exposing corrupt governments is a good thing too. Too bad he is in jail now lol.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

December 8, 2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz View Post
Freedom of information is a good thing. Exposing corrupt governments is a good thing too. Too bad he is in jail now lol.
Free speech stops when you actually start pissing off powerful people.
Unread
  (#8)
Air-Cooled Goodness

December 8, 2010, 12:02 PM

Reading the articles about this wikileaks/assange fiasco makes you question if this really isn’t just straight from a Hollywood script. It seems rather certain that he will be extradited to Sweden on presumably trumped up charges of sexual assault. This will then open up a rather remote possibility of him be extradited to the United States to face TBD charges. His home country seems to have pulled an 180 and is now posturing to protect him, but some think this may only be an act in a effort to prevent him from apply for political asylum in Switzerland.

-Tommy
Unread
  (#9)
girls just wanna have fun

December 9, 2010, 03:02 AM

It's become a hacker's war now... with some trying to take down Wiki's sites, others popping up like Anonymous and Operation Payback trying to jam up Mastercard and Visa's sites... and PayPal... Then others taking down Anon and OP's sites. It's more cyberbullying. I will just get really pissed if these hackers mess up my shopping!! dammit.

And Julian Assange is an irresponsible, thoughtless asshat. He thinks he's a hero and a somebody. He looks like a total dork, and in a bad way. Who probably has to rape women to get any... seriously. Have you seen the guy? I dunno who would touch that. He's the type that would cry if someone hit him.

I'm such a judgmental bitch....

If it doesn't kill me, I'm doing it again.
1986 Honda Rebel 250 (tee-hee ... SOLD)
2001 Honda CBR F4i (SOLD)
2001 Honda Magna VF750
2007 Ducati S2R1000
2009 BMW F800ST
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled  
Unread
  (#10)
girls just wanna have fun

December 9, 2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Reading the articles about this wikileaks/assange fiasco makes you question if this really isn’t just straight from a Hollywood script. It seems rather certain that he will be extradited to Sweden on presumably trumped up charges of sexual assault. This will then open up a rather remote possibility of him be extradited to the United States to face TBD charges. His home country seems to have pulled an 180 and is now posturing to protect him, but some think this may only be an act in a effort to prevent him from apply for political asylum in Switzerland.
I believe Australia just offered consulate assistance if he were arrested because he's an Australian citizen and they are just required to do so. However, Australia is still working with U.S. and other countries in the criminal investigation.

If it doesn't kill me, I'm doing it again.
1986 Honda Rebel 250 (tee-hee ... SOLD)
2001 Honda CBR F4i (SOLD)
2001 Honda Magna VF750
2007 Ducati S2R1000
2009 BMW F800ST
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whirled