DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 503
83 members and 420 guests
2blueyam, 9mmkungfu, airjor13, b00st, BBR6, bds120, BigDaddyShoo, BigE, big_sur, BlkOnBlk600r, boomboom929, BurnCycle, C2H5OH, Cambion, Camelhumps, cf3232, Chris, coolkhas, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Cutter, Dark, DC-MOTO, djkouza, DocZ, Doyler, elements018, EndoSJ3, Flaus, GRN96WS6, Heist, Irish730, jaesun, jay956, Jstyle, JWZelibor, KANEDA, ktmracerx009, launchforwards, legendindisguise, morsetaper2, Mr Infinit, MudDawg, MXRider, Nicolasr21, O2ShootTheJ, okayh, omesh, onel0wcubn, peoples1234, phogroian, PROC, Qcslvr, Rail, ReasonableDoubt, Redlining52, RileysDad, Riz, rock6r, Scot, SHARKDIESEL, silsprr, SinisterBabo, skwidrific, Slider, Slow, slow231, Southwade, SSLow3, stacey86, steele11, Stillie, SxyRdr, t84a, Taty, Tipssy, Toecutter, topshot, TTViper, turkishexpress, vonstallin, zx6rfool, {SALVA}
Most users ever online was 919, June 27, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Motorcycle tire repair
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

Motorcycle tire repair - September 20, 2012, 06:45 AM

Anyone know of a place in DC that will do roadside assistance / temp tire repair on a motorcycle?

I ran over a piece of metal right in the center of my rear tire which is now flat. I am sure it can be plugged, but getting someone to do a motorcycle tire is a little more difficult than I thought. I called Macs, A+Towing / tire repair, and a couple of others.

Bike is in the Navy Yard garage so its not like its going anywhere. Ironically - I have a brand new set of tires for this bike at home. It will probably cost me more to have the tire plugged than the cost of the new tires.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

September 20, 2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
Anyone know of a place in DC that will do roadside assistance / temp tire repair on a motorcycle?

I ran over a piece of metal right in the center of my rear tire which is now flat. I am sure it can be plugged, but getting someone to do a motorcycle tire is a little more difficult than I thought. I called Macs, A+Towing / tire repair, and a couple of others.

Bike is in the Navy Yard garage so its not like its going anywhere. Ironically - I have a brand new set of tires for this bike at home. It will probably cost me more to have the tire plugged than the cost of the new tires.
Eh I am not really for plugging moto tires. But if you must, you can hit track auto and buy a kit for about $10.00. Also get a pair of side cutters so that you can cut off the excess. You can use a bike pump or a small air compressor to pump it back up.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.

Last edited by Slider; September 20, 2012 at 07:03 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 20, 2012, 06:55 AM

No shop will plug tires. It is an insurance thing. But you can go to an auto parts place and buy a plug kit for like 10 bucks and do it your self. But don't go hauling ass everywhere. Check it every ride.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

September 20, 2012, 07:16 AM

Thx, I just need to get the tire to hold air so I can get it home. There is not a auto parts store close to 8th & M street. Fix a Flat 'may' work and at this rate that seems to be my best option.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

September 20, 2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Thx, I just need to get the tire to hold air so I can get it home. There is not a auto parts store close to 8th & M street. Fix a Flat 'may' work and at this rate that seems to be my best option.

Yeah, I don't think that is such a hot idea.

Do you have a rear stand? If you do go put it on the stand take the rear off go have a tire put on.

Unread
  (#6)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 20, 2012, 07:21 AM

If it's a puncture like a nail...then the fix-a-flat *should* get you to a shop/home for repair. (If you are careful and take it easy.) If it's a tear or rip....then no. Pull the tire and get a new one.

Fix a flat or Slime can work for a short term repair.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 20, 2012, 07:26 AM

Yes throw some fix a flat in it and then change that tire out. Also when you take it to a shop tell them you put fix a flat in it please.

www.RnRcycles.com

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

September 20, 2012, 07:27 AM

Its a puncture from a piece of metal off of the fence the city workers erected around a giant hole that inexplicably needed to be dug in the middle of M Street.
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 20, 2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Yeah, I don't think that is such a hot idea.

Do you have a rear stand? If you do go put it on the stand take the rear off go have a tire put on.
Seriously? Just throw your bike on a rear stand just anywhere and remove the rim and goto a shop to change it? That sounds like fun.

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#10)
Knee Draggin!

September 20, 2012, 07:28 AM

I'm going to have to ride my super reliable ducati to/from work for a few days now
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

September 20, 2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Seriously? Just throw your bike on a rear stand just anywhere and remove the rim and goto a shop to change it? That sounds like fun.

Well if it's in a secure parking lot yeah. I would, if it was in my parking lot at work, it's also secured and he stated his bike was in the NAVY yards parking lot. Now if it was at Fair Oaks mall probably not. I would go home and get my trailer.

Unread
  (#12)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 20, 2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Yes throw some fix a flat in it and then change that tire out. Also when you take it to a shop tell them you put fix a flat in it please.
Actually, Slime isn't that bad. Wipes away with a few paper towels just fine. I just replaced the tubliss system with them in the low pressure area. No big deal.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

September 20, 2012, 07:48 AM

Na, the bike is in the Navy yard parking garage - no issues with people trying to jack it or w/e. I actually leave digital key in the bike and have done so for the last few years.

I have no tools to remove the tire with me and I could't see myself rolling a wheel down to the eastern market metro to ride home.

At this point after talking to six differnet shops I'm like - fuck it. Going to go down to CVS and get a couple of cans of fix-o-flat, pull the piece of metal out (its basically a straight piece of metal) fill the tire up and limp home.

The other option is to use a roll of duct tape and wind that shit around the tire. Would be amusing i guess.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

September 20, 2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Na, the bike is in the Navy yard parking garage - no issues with people trying to jack it or w/e. I actually leave digital key in the bike and have done so for the last few years.

I have no tools to remove the tire with me and I could't see myself rolling a wheel down to the eastern market metro to ride home.

At this point after talking to six differnet shops I'm like - fuck it. Going to go down to CVS and get a couple of cans of fix-o-flat, pull the piece of metal out (its basically a straight piece of metal) fill the tire up and limp home.

The other option is to use a roll of duct tape and wind that shit around the tire. Would be amusing i guess.
Shit if my car was not at the dealership getting work done you could just take the NAVY buss over to Crystal City and borrow my plug kit. If it's still an issue on Monday hit me up I will have my car then.

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

September 20, 2012, 08:13 AM

If it was me I'd plug the tire, pump it up with a bicycle pump or something portable and ride it away...

If you use fix a flat or slime what do you do to get it out before you change the tire?