DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
For the newbies: our motorcycle injuries
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

For the newbies: our motorcycle injuries - March 3, 2013, 09:13 AM

Reading the post about motorcycle safety course fails, I figured it could help new members looking to make their first steps in this world to understand that it's just not some friend of a friend who got hurt on a motorcycle, it happens to almost all of us.

I have lost 2 friends and 1 more is paralyzed from the neck down. I've been luckier:

on top of various tumbles trying to learn to ride, at 14 an 80 y/o didn't stop at a crossing and I ended up breaking my writs, my left knee ligaments and a head concussion + multitude of bruises.

at 17, riding back home after putting down my downpayment for my Aprilia RS 125cc I did a celebratory monster stoppie but misjudged the distance from the cars in front of me at the light, and did the other knee...

Later same year, a guy just jumped out in front of me from his house with his Audi 100 Avant (immensly long car), I hit him doing over 60, flipped over 3 times in the air like a ragdoll, broke collar bone as I smashed his windshield with my shoulder, broke left wrist, cracked skull on his roof and had a number of deep cuts in arm from (I think) my front fairing.

Then I calmed down and realized that as good of a rider as I was, other people were not discerning of that. I've had my share of other slips and slides, but then at 20 I started taking it to the track, and that was the BEST school ever: it resets one's danger threshold and when you get back to open roads you see all the dangers.

Now I ride like a fortune teller: it's like more than defensive driving, I try to precog what other drivers will do based on racial profiling, LOL

1998 BMW K1200RS (current)
2000 998 (current)
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 3, 2013, 09:14 AM

Post your "lesson teaching injuries"

1998 BMW K1200RS (current)
2000 998 (current)
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

March 3, 2013, 09:35 AM

Yup, seems like it takes a few pretty big crashes before the sense of immortality gets knocked down a couple of notches and ones sense spidey sense gets a boost. However it may be that MC riders just tend to be slow learners...

Like you, all my big ones involved a cager. Broken pelvis, two cracked ankles, broken arm, spleen, etc...

As far as "teaching" goes. It's been my experiance that you can preach all day long but those inclined to press their luck will do so - and they'll learn, or die, from it on their own just as most of us have.

There's bold riders and there's old riders but damn few bold old riders.

Last edited by windblown; March 3, 2013 at 09:38 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
otb
Knee Draggin!

March 3, 2013, 02:21 PM

I have a permanent list to port of about 10 degrees, one shoulder is higher than the other and my right leg has hurt most every day for the last 38 years,(broken hip, pelvis and 2 lumbar vertebrae) all because I wasn't paying attention for 5 seconds......

I was thinking about my first very troubled marriage rather than paying attention to the squirrel driving the VW Jetta in front of me... he spun, I grabbed a handful of brake, I highsided and now I predict changes in weather.............

http://www.decreasingradius.net/

TNT: So in summation, yes, 600 ss for your first bike can be done, but it's stupid. It's like eating pasta with a knife - you're just making it harder for no good reason.
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
March 3, 2013, 06:34 PM

One of the best lessons I learned was right when I first got a bike. Was trying to take things slow and practice in a parking lot, was working on turning, felt like my throttle stuck open (I probably screwed up and misjudged my speed and panicked) next thing you know I am grabbing tons of brake and finding out just how good the brakes on a 600 are. Needless to say, stoppied like a BAWSE all the was up past 12 o'clock at which point the bike went one way and I landed on my head, shoulder, wrist.

Came away lucky with chipped bone in my wrist, a soar shoulder and a freaked out wife. All this happened at less than 25 mph.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

Premier Member since: May 03, 2008
March 3, 2013, 06:41 PM

I don't have any bad experiences on the street knock on wood but could give plenty of advice of what not to do at the track lol. Last crash did put me in the hospital for 10 days

11 Ducati MS1200S
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
watch this!...

March 3, 2013, 06:44 PM

showing off to my brother and a friend they were driving in the car next me, i was on a 2005 gsxr 750. at around 25 mph i made sure they were looking and then i "yut huh'd" banged into second gear and then an 87 yr old lady turned left in front of me. she admitted in court she never saw me. i left two skid marks aprrox 20 feet and t-boned her RSX at about 70-80 mph. my friend paul and my brother said it looked like the bike exploded into dust like fireworks. i flew 180 feet approx 60 feet of that was in the air. of course it was to hot to have my jacket on so it was in my backpack, no gloves either. my shirt was ripped and melted to shreds, my shoe laces literally melted against the pavement and then broke and shoes flew off. scratched and melted one side of my cell phone through my jeans without making a hole in them. lots of rash of course, blood pouring from my elbow, left knee blew up and the rag doll effect ruined my joints and made pain all over my body but i didnt break anything. still was in hospital for 9 days and didnt walk for a month didnt work for two months and i still have residual effects from it. seized up my left shoulder joint and between that and my knee was horrible rehab. oh yeah and once you rash all the skin off your palm and knuckles you tend to wear gloves.

i definitely dont ride the same, way more defensive and slow down for intersections and i expect people to pull out so i plan for it. had i not been excessively speeding it wouldnt have happened even though she was charged.

Last edited by 1is2many; March 3, 2013 at 06:47 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
SWIPER NO SIDESWIPING

March 3, 2013, 07:05 PM

Broken: Left clavicle, several small bones in my right foot, ACL attachment point at the top of tibia plateau.

Surgeries: Full left ACL reconstruction.

Permanent: Small limp due to left leg injuries, right wrist damage makes it hard to tighten bolts occasionally.

This is a sport for big boys and girls. Put on your manpants.

P.S. Von will be here momentarily to make all of you feel brand new.

14 Husky 300
13 KTM 200

Twin 2T panty removal systems.

Bannings: 2
Thread removals: 2 - The pussification continues.
Abuse of police powers: 0
Unread
  (#9)
Knarly Adventurer

March 3, 2013, 07:05 PM

Short version.

Riding way too fast on the street.
YZF 600
18 years old

Full face helmet
Cracked the base of my skull
Blood clot on brain. Stroke. Helicopter
Craniotomy (brain surgery)
30% Survival Rate

Lived and learned.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

Premier Member since: May 03, 2008
March 3, 2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Broken: Left clavicle, several small bones in my right foot, ACL attachment point at the top of tibia plateau.

Surgeries: Full left ACL reconstruction.

Permanent: Small limp due to left leg injuries, right wrist damage makes it hard to tighten bolts occasionally.

This is a sport for big boys and girls. Put on your manpants.

Oh man, and all this time I thought it was due to that ginormous penis of yours!

11 Ducati MS1200S
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
SWIPER NO SIDESWIPING

March 3, 2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Oh man, and all this time I thought it was due to that ginormous penis of yours!
It hangs to the right and offsets the limp a bit. The testicles are what make it hard to walk. Stupid clanking.

14 Husky 300
13 KTM 200

Twin 2T panty removal systems.

Bannings: 2
Thread removals: 2 - The pussification continues.
Abuse of police powers: 0
Unread
  (#12)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
March 3, 2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I remember that shit....some of those pictures were gnarly as hell.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#13)
Licensed Rider

March 3, 2013, 09:48 PM

Broken my back twice. In 2009, fractured T2 through T10, actually crushed T10 and I'm an inch shorter. Broke my whole right rib cage and tore a lot of muscles in between my shoulders, damaged a lot of nerves and do not have feeling in between my shoulders. Fractured right scapula (shoulder blade). During this accident I was knocked out for three days.

2010, Broke my back again, along with my neck. Destroyed L1 and needed emergency surgery due to the amount of damage. I now have titanium holding me together. Broke C7 in my neck, the front and back and the doctors still don't believe Im not paralyzed. There is a piece of the vertebrae from C7 just floating in the back of my neck.
Unread
  (#14)
ELBOWZ

March 3, 2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendindisguise View Post
Broken my back twice. In 2009, fractured T2 through T10, actually crushed T10 and I'm an inch shorter. Broke my whole right rib cage and tore a lot of muscles in between my shoulders, damaged a lot of nerves and do not have feeling in between my shoulders. Fractured right scapula (shoulder blade). During this accident I was knocked out for three days.

2010, Broke my back again, along with my neck. Destroyed L1 and needed emergency surgery due to the amount of damage. I now have titanium holding me together. Broke C7 in my neck, the front and back and the doctors still don't believe Im not paralyzed. There is a piece of the vertebrae from C7 just floating in the back of my neck.
Fuck dude.

CCS #720 Expert
TPM COACH #720
Team Promotion www.teampromotion.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
James
Unread
  (#15)
Member of SRWJTS

March 3, 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendindisguise View Post

dude...you still ride? Fawk man, glad you're still alive.

2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)