DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 390
83 members and 307 guests
1Bronco, airjor13, akapero, armystrong, Baddog, ballinb5, bds120, BigDaddyShoo, BigE, big_sur, BlackHatch, bluhokie12, burningscooter, Camelhumps, CKBallard, ClemsonJeeper, Cutter, dctex, djkouza, DocZ, dodge131, Dragon, drt_Jumper, DSA, DucDucGoose, EGlovr, Fiasco, Fitz, Gemini, GRN96WS6, Harsh, Heist, HellraiserinDC, Irish730, J dubbz, jar944, jeff721, JoeP, JWZelibor, KANEDA, karrotx, KirkRoy, knonfs, ktmracerx009, launchforwards, Leoallafila, mangle, Mr Infinit, MrDan, Nudist, nunyadambusiness, okayh, pauliodotnet, pnbell, pschmidt, Pugster, RFLIVES, RileysDad, robby23rd, RobertJ, samuraiiandy, Scot, Slider, slow231, soccershooter387, Solarus, SSLow3, stacey86, steele11, Stillie, superchickencornermonster, SxyRdr, TheGreenWeenie, Thomas, Tipssy, topshot, Triple X, TTViper, Viper, Whisper, yzl337, zx6rfool
Most users ever online was 919, June 27, 2007 at 03:26 PM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Officially Addicted to Posting

March 4, 2013, 10:52 AM

Damn...humpty dumpty has been put back together.

I have more sports injuries than riding but I don't log the kind of miles that most of you do.

I also would argue that some folks need to hang it up rather than keep riding if the nature of the accident was similar.

Hopefully you guys have health insurance and now I understand why my premium is so high.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
GP Champ

March 4, 2013, 11:06 AM

So far I've only been down once on the street. I was coming back to my office after lunch, making a left turn. There was road contruction just past the intersection that the traffic I was crossing was dealing with so they were backed up. I foolishly let the cars wave me through. Someone came out of a parking lot and gunned it to get through the intersection on the yellow and nailed the right fork on my bike, shooting me up into the air. It looked pretty dramatic, apparently, I hopped up and immediately started checking my bike (duh). I had landed on my head, my shoei rf700 did what it was supposed to. This was at walking speed.

My neck was a little sore the next day but I seemed fine otherwise (I do have significant arthritis, bone spurs, etc in my neck now but don't know how much this incident contributed). The 2nd day I got up and had some cereal. My wife hadn't woken up yet so I went back to bed. When I woke up the 2nd time I sat up and immediately had no idea which way was up and which was down, everything was spinning violently. The entire contents of my stomach were emptied onto me, the bed, and anything else in the vicinity. Everything would spin if I moved my head even a tiny bit so I laid there in my vomit until my wife cleaned me up. Since that time I have suffered with varying levels of vertigo from time to time, never again quite as bad as the first time though, thankfully. This was probably 96 or 97 or so.

The bike (88 hawk gt) was actually fine although I took the opportunity to have the bodywork painted (it wasn't damaged in the crash but I'd been wanting to change it to that mercedes yellow).

The main point here is never let anyone else wave you through or anything like that. Depend on no one but yourself.

Last edited by KirkRoy; March 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM..
Unread
  (#18)
SRWJTS Recruiter

March 4, 2013, 11:18 AM

Read all posts by this guy - DCSportbikes.net - View Profile: devon.818

...then do the opposite.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#19)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 4, 2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReasonableDoubt View Post
Read all posts by this guy - DCSportbikes.net - View Profile: devon.818

...then do the opposite.
Winning

-Fitz

Decreasing Radius - Musings on Motorcycling

Support the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America!

2012 V-Strom 1000 Adventure
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#20)
I hate Hybrid drivers

March 4, 2013, 11:25 AM

I have ridden over 120,000 miles on a motorcycle (three different motorcycles actually) without a single accident or injury. Learn to ride defensively, never loose focus while riding, have just plain luck and hopefully you'll never have to post in this thread. Happy riding noobs.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#21)
No more 1050 :(

March 4, 2013, 11:37 AM

I have been riding for 10 years, never a serious injury. Have fucked myself up way worse sledding, bicycling, surfing. Have never broken a bone in my life though. I have no idea how this is possible.

Lots of wrecks. The vast majority have been fully geared. A couple have been lucky.
Unread
  (#22)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 4, 2013, 11:41 AM

I've had two incidents. Thankfully all way in the past due to my own stupidity, and only one had the potential to be serious (and I got lucky as hell)

What dave said is spot on. Ride defensively. Always assume that the cars around you WILL do stupid things and pull into your path, and have a plan. The infamous "car making a left turn" scenario included.

A few months back I was rolling through an intersection and a car turned left in front of me. EVERY time i go through an intersection, I slow and plan an exit for this eventuality (and check both ways for traffic that may run the light)

In this case, the guy did what I was planning for. I swerved hard left, straightened the INSTANT I was clear, and brought the bike to a stop in the median after coasting through some grass.

Had I not been "wargaming" in my mind, I might have hit him and been a statistic.

Devon is used as an example a lot, and for good reason. his crash was a perfect storm of noob actions, lack of gear, and piss-poor motorcycle maintenence. Nice enough kid, who will have pain for the rest of his life due to the confluence of those factors.

MSF teaches the risk ladder, and a lot of folks don't pay attention. The more "rungs" you add to your risk ladder, the harder the fall hurts.

-Fitz

2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#23)
My Chicken eats Busa's

Premier Member since: August 04, 2011
March 4, 2013, 11:44 AM

EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME I WALK INTO A PUB WITH MY MOTORCYCLE GEAR ON THE PERSON NEXT TO ME SAYS.....

"I used to ride (Harley's, Crotch rockets) until (Me, a friend of mine, my uncle/ancestor) got (cut off, hit some gravel, got caught in the rain, or any other combination of events that completely removes this person or their "friend" from any fault) and I/he/she got (really scared, injured, dead) ever since then I have not ridden because I/he/she (has a wife that won't let own a motorcycle, have kids now, got that out of my system, am a pussy with no effing balls)."

Seriously. Every, Fucking, Time.

2003 Honda SuperHawk
No other bike needed. Already have SuperHawk

www.BrooksCycle.com
Unread
  (#24)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 4, 2013, 11:48 AM

Jason, how many of em "Had to lay her down?"

-Fitz

2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#25)
My Chicken eats Busa's

March 4, 2013, 11:52 AM

Ok, so here's a lesson to learn....

I'm on 28 South. 4 lanes, the left South lane is blocked, but the Right South lane is open. So, I'm cruising right along. At an intersection a car heading north decides to turn to his left in to a parking lot. I grabbed a hand full of brakes. If he would have kept going, I would have just missed him. But he saw me, panicked and I hit the brakes harder. My front end tucked and I slid.

Here's a few things to learn.
1. If one lane is blocked, it's reasonable to think that people may try to merge or turn without seeing you. One needs to be prepared for this. I probably should have slowed down a bit.
2. Brakes stop you quicker than plastic and metal on concrete. If I had braked correctly, I would have been just fine.
3. Distractions of indignation. You know what I'm talking about. When you get cut off, you swerve around the person and flip them off, stare at them, swear, whatever. These are all actions that distract your attention from riding. When I was on the brakes, I really wanted to give this guy a piece of my mind. That really effected my abilities at the moment and as a result, I went down.

As a result I'm a calmer, more careful rider especially in traffic.

2003 Honda SuperHawk

www.BrooksCycle.com
Unread
  (#26)
My Chicken eats Busa's

March 4, 2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Jason, how many of em "Had to lay her down?"
Please see #2 above.

2003 Honda SuperHawk

www.BrooksCycle.com
Unread
  (#27)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 4, 2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
1. If one lane is blocked, it's reasonable to think that people may try to merge or turn without seeing you. One needs to be prepared for this. I probably should have slowed down a bit.
I'm quoting this because I don't want folks to miss it.

This is HUGE.

When i see slowdown or a blocked lane ahead, I start planning for some nitwit shithead to merge into me. This happens CONSTANTLY, and is a major source of serious or fatal wrecks for motorcyclists.

People see a blocked lane and pull into the next one WITHOUT LOOKING. All the time. It boggles my mind.

-Fitz

2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#28)
whoa preppy......

March 4, 2013, 11:55 AM

300,000 or so miles, 3 accidents that count.

I was hit by a car and broken my ankle...but picked the bike up out of the ditch and rode it another 15 miles home. Don't do that BTW.

Another time I was riding like my ass was on fire and hit the side of the mountain @ Thorton Gap on 211. Severed my splenic artery, destroyed my spleen, broke a mess of ribs, and spent a lot of time in the hospital.

In April a few years ago I took off with my kickstand down, DID A BARRELL ROLL several times and seperated my shoulder. I also slid on my ass and back long enough to burn through my gear and spent the next few hours in teh shower with my wife.....scrubbing skin and debris out of the wounds. The hospital gave me the option to do it at home because they felt the rash was superficial. Once we got into the actual scrubbing, superficial or not, I almost passed out during the process.

bumper stickers are little reminders that say to me, "let's never hang out".

2009 DN-01
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#29)
GP Champ

March 4, 2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
scrubbing skin and debris out of the wounds. The hospital gave me the option to do it at home because they felt the rash was superficial. Once we got into the actual scrubbing, superficial or not, I almost passed out during the process.
Ouchy ouchy... I remeber the first time they "cleaned up" one of my skin VS asphalt injuries at the ER I was screaming like a mad person and when I walked out of there I got a whole lot of "OMG WHAT DO THEY DO IN THERE" from the other people waiting to get treated, lol.

1999 996S (current)
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#30)
Sewing Machine Rider

March 4, 2013, 12:57 PM

My first and, knock on wood, only real crash was maybe 6 months after I started riding. It was that point where I was starting to "get" going fast, had lost most of the initial fear, and overconfidence took hold. I was going way too fast, over my head, fully cranked over doing 60ish around a turn. It was a decreasing radius, I tried to tighten up my line mid-turn and give it more lean angle but ended up losing the front and there she went.

Being off the bike and cranked over, I wasn't very far from the ground so it was a pretty smooth fall all things considered, I let the bike go, got to sliding on my back and came to a rest just shy of the edge of the road. My bike, which didn't stop sliding nearly as quickly, ended up careening off the edge of the road which happened to be a 15 foot drop. It hit a tree mid-flight and promptly fell to the ground.

I was insanely lucky. It was a right turn so after my lowside, I slid directly across the path of oncoming traffic. Luckily I was in a fairly remote area of the mountains so no one was coming, but I would be dead if they were. I had a jacket\gloves\helmet on, but I'm still amazed my hiking boots and jeans didn't leave me with any injuries. I credit the fact that I was able to get on my back and didn't spend much time sliding on my pants. Both my shoes and jeans were torn up from the initial fall and my jacket had a giant hole burned in the shoulder\elbow\forearm. My only real injury was a tiny bit of rash on my palm where I burned through my cheapy Icon gloves.

To top it all off, I ended up putting the bike, which I bought with a salvage title and some cosmetic damage, on ebay, disclosed the new structural damage, and was able to sell it for $500 less than I originally paid for it.

I've had friends undertaking a lot less stupidity than I was end up dead. It still amazes me that I'm hear to write this, but it didn't take me long to figure out I learned quite a few valuable lessons that day for an insignificantly small price.