DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
4 members and 560 guests
2blueyam, Heist, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > DC, MD, VA Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Versys 650 vs NC750
Unread
  (#1)
2 wheels for life

Versys 650 vs NC750 - December 27, 2018, 06:41 AM

Waddya think? Ofcourse I want the manual and not the scooter version of NC750. Lets not talk about the V-strom

PS shit is fucking expensive in scandinavia and I should probably think of a snowmobil instead

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

December 27, 2018, 07:43 AM

I've owned a Versys650 and have ridden the NC700, not the NC750 though.

The Versys650 was easily one of the best handling bikes I have have thrown a leg over. It holds a line perfectly. If you want to change that line, it's super stable and allows you to put it where you want it. I've ridden a lot of bikes. I can't remember one that was that stable and nimble out of the box.

Motor is meh. It's your garden variety 650 parallel. Adequate is how I'd rate it. Dash is ninja 300. The windscreen buffeted a bit. You'll have to do some trial and error to see how that fits you.

The NC700 was an appliance. It was a motorcycle in the sense that it had two wheels. Engine was crazy smooth though. Didn't feel like a twin at all. It didn't feel like a combustion engine. I can't remember what it rev'd to but it was low. I got off it after a few hours and wasn't excited about it at all. The storage under the tank is nice. My big assed helmet didn't fit in there. My buddy said his does and in the summer, the engine does a nice job of heating that storage space after being parked so that his helmet is 10000F when he puts it on.

I guess it's not a big secret which one I liked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11811298_10207435389468826_9115969428053529988_n.jpg (129.9 KB, 8 views)

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 27, 2018, 08:07 AM

I found the V-Strom a little more twitchy than the versys. Probably due to the front wheel size. I detest parallel twin engine sounds but they are everyday bland usable like a honda accord.

only very limited seat time on that weird 700 or 750. It was an automatic. Can say I rode one...can't say I'm eager to ride one again but maybe a decent beach bike?

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com

ZX14: 222 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
EX650: 130.7 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
2 wheels for life

December 28, 2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
I've owned a Versys650 and have ridden the NC700, not the NC750 though.

The Versys650 was easily one of the best handling bikes I have have thrown a leg over. It holds a line perfectly. If you want to change that line, it's super stable and allows you to put it where you want it. I've ridden a lot of bikes. I can't remember one that was that stable and nimble out of the box.

Motor is meh. It's your garden variety 650 parallel. Adequate is how I'd rate it. Dash is ninja 300. The windscreen buffeted a bit. You'll have to do some trial and error to see how that fits you.

The NC700 was an appliance. It was a motorcycle in the sense that it had two wheels. Engine was crazy smooth though. Didn't feel like a twin at all. It didn't feel like a combustion engine. I can't remember what it rev'd to but it was low. I got off it after a few hours and wasn't excited about it at all. The storage under the tank is nice. My big assed helmet didn't fit in there. My buddy said his does and in the summer, the engine does a nice job of heating that storage space after being parked so that his helmet is 10000F when he puts it on.

I guess it's not a big secret which one I liked.

I am more inclined to the versys 650 for the reasons you mentioned. It had a higher price than the NC750 a few years back but now the 2019 msrp are 10990 and 11490 euros!? I am buying used anyways so might be able to get a 3-4 year old one for ~6k. The low center of gravity and smooth ride on the NC are definitely positives for me as I am not looking for something for long highway rides and high mpg. Also I could probably use the tank space in good use for a tent, sleeping bag etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post
I found the V-Strom a little more twitchy than the versys. Probably due to the front wheel size. I detest parallel twin engine sounds but they are everyday bland usable like a honda accord.

only very limited seat time on that weird 700 or 750. It was an automatic. Can say I rode one...can't say I'm eager to ride one again but maybe a decent beach bike?

I read they took the twins from a 4 cylinder car engine, could be a myth

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 28, 2018, 11:24 AM

There may be something to that. I thought there was some similarity to the old kawasaki 1000cc and the ex500 like half the motor or something. They just have a very bland powerband. I find a cbr 250r 1 cylinder more fun than the ex250 even though the ex250 beats it. Even the hyosung gt250 has a better tone (vtwin) even though it can't see the Ninja 250 in a straight line. Triples sound good, inlines sound good. Vtwins, V4s...but damn if a parallel twin doesn't sound like absolute dog shit. Put a pipe on them and they are all farty as fukk.

We run the sv650 against the ninja 650 no comparison in sound. Not to mention the sv makes more power and has a little better aero.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com

ZX14: 222 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
EX650: 130.7 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#6)
whoa preppy......

December 28, 2018, 11:29 AM

I had read somewhere that the NC700 was a honda fit motor with 2 cylinder lopped off.

the internet tells me it's more akin to the Honda Jazz. The NC700 shares the bore and stroke and some internal parts from the Jazz engine but is indeed its own engine.

They worked with Honda's automotive division to develop the engine.

BOOOOOOOO.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS

Last edited by Scot; December 28, 2018 at 11:33 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
2 wheels for life

December 28, 2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
I had read somewhere that the NC700 was a honda fit motor with 2 cylinder lopped off.
Yea I read the same but then I also read that it was meant as the joke for the journalists who didnt get it

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#8)
whoa preppy......

December 28, 2018, 11:33 AM

I updated my post

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
Unread
  (#9)
Stop light racer...

December 29, 2018, 04:15 PM

I have a Versys 650, and love it. When I first bought the bike I wasn't that excited about it, but used it as a DC city bike (Urban Assault Vehicle). The handling is amazing, simple to do slow tight maneuvers and confident in high speed turns. I love riding the bike now, its very comfortable, long trips 8+ hours no problem and great riding 2 up. A taller windshield would be a nice upgrade.

Currently I live in Norway (near Molde) and this year I picked up a used Honda VFR750 and absolutely love it! The handling and comfort match the Versys (low speed maneuvers are slightly harder) but the V4 engine is much more exciting. Recommend searching finn.no or equivalent in your region.

Motorcycles are crazy expensive in Scandinavia (everything is), i nearly gave up looking... Also have been contemplating a snowmobile.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T

Last edited by pnbell; December 29, 2018 at 09:02 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
2 wheels for life

December 30, 2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
I have a Versys 650, and love it. When I first bought the bike I wasn't that excited about it, but used it as a DC city bike (Urban Assault Vehicle). The handling is amazing, simple to do slow tight maneuvers and confident in high speed turns. I love riding the bike now, its very comfortable, long trips 8+ hours no problem and great riding 2 up. A taller windshield would be a nice upgrade.

Currently I live in Norway (near Molde) and this year I picked up a used Honda VFR750 and absolutely love it! The handling and comfort match the Versys (low speed maneuvers are slightly harder) but the V4 engine is much more exciting. Recommend searching finn.no or equivalent in your region.

Motorcycles are crazy expensive in Scandinavia (everything is), i nearly gave up looking... Also have been contemplating a snowmobile.
How crazy is it that I find someone from this forum who also lives is scandinavia!!

I didn't consider the VFR since I wanted a something a little newer. I am looking at the used motorcycles market here from tori.fi but it has limited options. I guess I cant be too picky. Did you ever consider purchasing from Germany? I read that some people have done it for cars and saved a lot of money.

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a llama again!

December 30, 2018, 04:29 PM

Ether bike you're going to crash so which is cheaper to fix?

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#12)
2 wheels for life

December 31, 2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Ether bike you're going to crash so which is cheaper to fix?
Probably the kawi

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#13)
whoa preppy......

December 31, 2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Probably the kawi

The Kawi is so ugly it won't matter!

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
Unread
  (#14)
Stop light racer...

December 31, 2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
How crazy is it that I find someone from this forum who also lives is scandinavia!!

I didn't consider the VFR since I wanted a something a little newer. I am looking at the used motorcycles market here from tori.fi but it has limited options. I guess I cant be too picky. Did you ever consider purchasing from Germany? I read that some people have done it for cars and saved a lot of money.
Right, when I read Versys and then Scandinavia I knew I had to reply! I have looked into the Germany option also, but don't know much about what is required regarding import paperwork and fees. When I get serious about finding a car I'll investigate further. Let me know if you have go that route.

I just tried to look on the Finnish classified site you mentioned, but I barely understand Norwegian, and Finnish is a whole other animal. (You speak/understand it yet?)

I absolutely love riding here, twisty mountain roads, beautiful fjords and no traffic. Here are a few pics, the quality sucks, but the point remains the same.

A lot of crazy roads like the one seen on the right here:

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#15)
2 wheels for life

January 1, 2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnbell View Post
Right, when I read Versys and then Scandinavia I knew I had to reply! I have looked into the Germany option also, but don't know much about what is required regarding import paperwork and fees. When I get serious about finding a car I'll investigate further. Let me know if you have go that route.

I just tried to look on the Finnish classified site you mentioned, but I barely understand Norwegian, and Finnish is a whole other animal. (You speak/understand it yet?)

I absolutely love riding here, twisty mountain roads, beautiful fjords and no traffic. Here are a few pics, the quality sucks, but the point remains the same.

A lot of crazy roads like the one seen on the right here:

Looks absolutely amazing!! I don't think Finland has so much elevation change but Sweden and Norway are not too far away to ride. I use chrome with autotranslate so everything in HTML is automatically translated. What it seems regarding import is that the dealer arranges for most of the stuff. I have't looked into much further but I did find some sweet deals on some of the bikes on mobile.de

Adrenaline Addict