DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 253
3 members and 250 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
bags for trip.
Unread
  (#1)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

bags for trip. - February 12, 2007, 11:06 AM

I'm starting to plan my Michagan trip in a little more detail, and I need to know about luggage. Most of the crap is going ahead of me, but I'll be on the road for 2 or three days. I figure I need space for tent, bag, rainsuit and a few extra shirts and socks. I know nothing about sportbike bags. Who makes a good one, who makes a lousy one? What should I be looking for? The bike in question is a Kawasaki 500R, with two exhausts, and there will be but one passanger.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

February 12, 2007, 11:24 AM

I just picked up the Cortech Sport Tail Bag for my cross country jount. It also comes with sport saddle bags. I was surprised at how much room it had. I'm going wothout the saddle bags...then again...I'm not camping.

Looks well made, comes with a rain cover and is not bulky. Not sure how the saddle bags would work with a passenger but looks to be doable...

saddlebags only:

and with the sport tail:
Unread
  (#3)
Dressed for Success

February 12, 2007, 11:25 AM

I plan to use this combination on my cross-country trip:

http://www.newenoughhp.com/nelson_ri...ystem_page.htm
http://www.newenoughhp.com/nelson_ri...e_bag_page.htm

The duffle bag will connect directly to the saddlebags, or you can use each one individually. I've used the dufflebag only on a daily basis for about a year now, the only complaint I have is you have to be careful with the Velcro that connects the two carry straps together (mine has started to come unstitched). But of course, this is a very minor issue.

In addition to these bags, I'll probably bungee cord whatever additional bags, tents, or sleeping bags I need to the top.

Edit: ^^^ Same concept as shown in Dutch's post.
Unread
  (#4)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

February 12, 2007, 11:43 AM

Wow. With a passenger you'll have a lot less storage space. When we went to Ohio we packed a LOT of stuff where the passenger would normally go. Most cruisers have room off the back for a small luggage rack, but a sportbike doesn't.

I'll agree with the saddlebags recommended above. I don't know what brand mine are, but they have an optional "expandable" zippered section, which is nice. For normal daily running around, I keep them small, but every now and then I buy something large (or I have bulky sweaters) I'll expand them and be so grateful for the extra room. Saddle bags are somewhat passenger friendly, but it makes getting on and off more of an art form.

If your passenger is willing to wear a backpack, get the kind that straps around the waist and collar bone. They cost extra, but are very comfy for long hauls. Tank bags are nice if you don't need to lay on your tank to get out of the wind. Somewhere I read that there are bags that straddle the tank, sort of hanging off the sides in front of your knees. I've never seen these for sale, but they're a good idea as they carry their load low near the center of the bike.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

February 12, 2007, 11:43 AM

Plastic rain covers suck. Get bags with tethered nylon covers or get waterproof bags. like these. If you want to go on the cheap a dry bag from REI works well or for a little more $$$ there are these.

BELOW: My bike has an REI dry bag attached with Helen straps with Triumph Throw Overs. The FZ has a large Helen2Wheels dry bag attached with her straps. My bike is carring the tent, my sleeping bag, all the clothes for 2, 2 chairs, and most of the supplies. The FZ has her sleeping bag and camping pillow and odds and ends.

Last edited by Space; February 12, 2007 at 11:52 AM..
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

February 12, 2007, 11:44 AM

spend the 10 bucks on a Throttle Rocker.
Unread
  (#7)
Dressed for Success

February 12, 2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
spend the 10 bucks on a Throttle Rocker.
What brands would you recommend?
Unread
  (#8)
Eddie would go ...

February 12, 2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja636
wimps

what's next? a Gold Wing????
Unread
  (#9)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

February 12, 2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I thought Throttle Rockers were pretty much all the same, at least in the $10 range. You could get a throttle lock for $30, but that's not the same thing.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 12, 2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Throttle Rocker is the name of the product. I use a Throttle Miester throttle lock, but that is $120.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

February 12, 2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchR6
wimps

what's next? a Gold Wing????

Nope ZX14 Concours
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

February 12, 2007, 12:16 PM

Forgot to mention that if you are camping you should get a blank, metal, double gang e box cover. tie a string to it and a loop long enough to fit around you bars. Place the plate under your side stand when you park in dirt and the loop around your bar end
Unread
  (#13)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

February 13, 2007, 09:06 PM

Sorry to mislead. The one passanger is me. One up riding. My GF thinks the whole project is ridiculous.
Unread
  (#14)
Chupathingy?

May 15, 2007, 03:45 PM

not ridiculous, sounds like fun!
I get lucky and put together a little sissy bar that holds my backpack. then I can pack another bag infront of that with the cargo net around them. I'll ty to get some pics next time I do it. its a spur of the moment, but it works for my weekends to Norfolk.

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#15)
subUrban Warrior

May 15, 2007, 03:49 PM

Helen2Wheels bags. Waterproof, built like bombshelters, and will carry your gear for 100,000 miles without a hitch

http://www.helen2wheels.com

You might look into a seat upgrade, or an Airhawk pad -- how many miles can you put on your current seat before pain sets in?

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar

Last edited by Newzpix; May 15, 2007 at 03:56 PM..