DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 181
2 members and 179 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Best place to practice
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Best place to practice - August 22, 2007, 04:06 PM

I know this really isn't a route, so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum. But I just wanted to know where are some good places to practice my riding skills: turns, clutch work, weaves, etc.

I live in downtown DC, so I dont really have many sidestreets. And parking lots are pretty much nonexistent. so are there any huge parking lots that not a lot of cars use in Va or MD?

Thanks in advance
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Semper Fi

August 22, 2007, 04:43 PM

Just ride around DC.. Perferably South East. That'll force you to learn weaving when you are gettin shot at. As for the clutch work. Well you'll get that when you gotta keep stoppin and goin cuz there are so many damn stop signs and lights. That's how i learned.

If you are white it helps out too..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lyman2134  
Unread
  (#3)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

August 22, 2007, 04:43 PM

Dulles town center mall at night. I used to run the back side and follow the lane hugging the building from one end to the other. Nice, predictable, nobody around (Until secutiry sends you packing), and you can run a nice calm pace.

Find a mall after 9pm with lights. Many big parking lots in the far back are fine for basic drills.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#4)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 22, 2007, 05:06 PM

If you're ever in NOVA, stop by Fairfax Government Center. In the afternoon it's just a huge empty parking lot. The security there don't care since they know people practice riding there.
Unread
  (#5)

August 23, 2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyman2134
Just ride around DC.. Perferably South East. That'll force you to learn weaving when you are gettin shot at. As for the clutch work. Well you'll get that when you gotta keep stoppin and goin cuz there are so many damn stop signs and lights. That's how i learned.

If you are white it helps out too..
I actually experienced that a couple of weeks ago. I was riding around with my dad, and he suddenly decided to veer into SE. Then he took some side streets, and there were a couple of kids who decided to throw rocks at us. Scary scary.
Unread
  (#6)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

August 23, 2007, 12:43 PM

What about the RFK parking lot?

-Hugh

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#7)
TEAM.SUKUZI

August 23, 2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklehead
I actually experienced that a couple of weeks ago. I was riding around with my dad, and he suddenly decided to veer into SE. Then he took some side streets, and there were a couple of kids who decided to throw rocks at us. Scary scary.
Hahahah, u guys are fukkin funny~

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

August 23, 2007, 01:09 PM

Pretty much anywhere in suburbia will have more than enough areas to practice. Drive 10 minutes out of DC and you can have your pick of parking lots. If anyone hassles you, you simply drive another half block to the next place.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

August 23, 2007, 02:13 PM

potomac yards got a big parking lots in the back by the movies
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#10)
Nothing here

August 23, 2007, 02:26 PM

The Fairfax town center has two very large remote parking lots that are designed for overflow that never actually occurs. During the day they are completely open. I have taught people to ride there in the past and it's perfect. Very easy to get to; directly off of 66.
Unread
  (#11)

August 23, 2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy
Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that. I always go near there too. So if you see a dumb little man in a black ninja 250 dropping the bike trying u turns there, thats probably me. Come by and say hi. and to help pick up my bike.
Unread
  (#12)
F4iGuy

August 24, 2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I know this really isn't a route, so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum. But I just wanted to know where are some good places to practice my riding skills: turns, clutch work, weaves, etc.

I live in downtown DC, so I dont really have many sidestreets. And parking lots are pretty much nonexistent. so are there any huge parking lots that not a lot of cars use in Va or MD?

Thanks in advance

Follow 16th St NW up through Adams Morgan/ Mt. Pleasant area contine up a few more miles and you'll come to a stop light and large intersection at the corner of 16th NW and Colorado St NW. Make a left onto Colorado and an immediate right into the first driveway. That driveway opens up after about 5ft. into a very, very large parking lot. Just be careful, there is always a few people teaching parallel parking to newbies in Cages. But the lot is extremely large...i taught my old roommate to ride there. You'll also Park Police in there everyonce in awhile but they're pretty harmless as long as your not stunting!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Far from a rookie!!!!!

August 24, 2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u8myrice
If you're ever in NOVA, stop by Fairfax Government Center. In the afternoon it's just a huge empty parking lot. The security there don't care since they know people practice riding there.
i can second that one

James

Joe Rocket Whore

Why your man acting like secret service??? I'm going to get you alone and get my secret serviced!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boogie_gsxr26 Send a message via AIM to boogie_gsxr26  
Unread
  (#14)

April 5, 2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboy
Just an update. I went there today to teach my brother how to ride. And we got hassled by the security. Ugh. Such a nice big parking lot too.
Unread
  (#15)
2 wheels for life

April 5, 2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Just an update. I went there today to teach my brother how to ride. And we got hassled by the security. Ugh. Such a nice big parking lot too.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to