DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
2 members and 578 guests
Cinko, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Cameras Sought to Nab Dulles Access Road ‘Backtrackers’
Unread
  (#1)
BE ENCOURAGED!

Cameras Sought to Nab Dulles Access Road ‘Backtrackers’ - February 10, 2010, 05:02 AM

From loudouni.com Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Two local lawmakers have introduced legislation that would inject technology into the pursuit of toll road dodgers.

State Sen. Mark Herring (D-eastern Loudoun) and Del. Tom Rust (R-Sterling) have identical bills in Virginia’s General Assembly that would allow the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority to install either a "photo-monitoring system" or a "automatic vehicle identification system" along the Dulles Access Road to catch motorists who are not supposed to be on the restricted highway.
Rust, whose bill is known as HB 1295 while Herring's is SB 667, said officials at the Airports Authority approached the two about introducing the legislation. He said they told him they needed additional help in nabbing “backtrackers,” a term that describes motorists who cut through the airport in order to hop on the access road.

“This would just give them the technology they need to enforce this,” he said.

The four-lane road is sandwiched between the lanes of the Dulles Toll Road and dedicated solely to people coming and going to Dulles International Airport for airport business.

Courtney Prebich Mickalonis, a spokeswoman for the Airports Authority, said police handed out 1,172 citations in 2009 for misuse of the road, a fraction of what officials think are the actual violators, she said.

She said the reasons some people backtrack include avoiding the tolls and traffic on the Dulles Toll Road and being able to access the HOV lanes on Interstate 66 during rush hours.

“Our current traffic enforcement efforts are labor intensive,” she said. “Being able to use a photo-monitoring system or an automatic vehicle identification system will allow us to enforce this law more effectively.”

According to language in both bills, the system would work like those found at some traffic signals, as cameras would identify a violator then a ticket would be mailed out to the vehicle’s registered owner.

A fine of $50 would be levied on first-time offenders. But the fine would go up to $100 for a second offense in one year, $250 for a third offense within two years of the second offense and $500 for a fourth and all subsequent violations within three years from the second offense. Fines would be reduced if the motorist decides to waive any challenges to the violation and “prepay” the fine. An administrative fee of up to $100 would be added to tickets beyond the first violation.

John Townsend, manager of public and governmental affairs for AAA Mid-Atlantic, said he understood the need for the technology but sympathized with those avoiding "the traffic and increased tolls" on the Dulles Toll Road. He suggested opening up the access road at a "small fee" to those commuting to and from work.

"They are prisoners of their geography," he said of backtrackers. "They already pay property taxes, and they are tired of being nickled and dimed."

Rust said the recent increase in tolls on the Dulles Toll Road likely played a part in the Airports Authority approaching him. He also said a similar system is being planned for the HOT lanes now being added to the Beltway, and because of this, he said he's confident his legislation would be approved this winter.

“This is not new technology,” he said, “so I think its chances would be pretty good.”

Both bills are currently being reviewed in the House and Senate. On Jan. 28, the Senate Transportation Committee approved Herring's bill 14-1.

annnnnnnnnnnnd discuss.............

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

February 10, 2010, 05:47 AM

You see that Boom?!

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
100% Kawasaki Biased

February 10, 2010, 07:22 AM

I wonder how something like this would work? There are a lot of people on that road working on the metro everyday as well as people who use it to commute to and from Dulles airport to work. I'm not sure a camera could discern who is who... I guess they would figure all of that out with support from the camera equipment suppliers, who will probably get half the money from the fines lol.

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

February 10, 2010, 07:30 AM

You know what I don't like... automatic photo monitoring that can be used in any way the owners see fit. These cocksuckers want to impune the public with higher tolls and worse traffic, and yet they won't do anything to improve it.

INFRASTRUCTURE SCALABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a simple fucking concept. Build out the metro faster, scale alternatives like Route 7, create perks for telecommuting within the government and government contracts.... I'm in Cameroon right now, when I get home 99% of my job could be done at home with a Fob that costs the government $450 a year to give me... 99%!!!! But the idea is that if I'm at work I'll work harder... NOT true, I slack just as much at work, and then I work my ass off and live in a hotel for half the year in some god-forsaken west african country (my shower water looks like earl grey tea)... Hilton... swanky.

The real problems here are the people calling the shots don't have the where-with-all to understand emerging concepts for work, and suburban sprawl. And someone is getting rich off this stuff... trust you me, this money isn't being reinvested into our communities... and those cameras, we're going to pay for them. Traffic won't get better, no real changes will happen, we'll just have cameras that take 20-50 personnel to run/repair that have to be paid, and more ticketing mechanisms.

Stupid.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

February 10, 2010, 07:31 AM

So what about people like me?

I used to go to the Airport to get my shoes shined. That guy who is near the TSA security area is probably the best shoe shine in NoVA, cheap and fast. In and out in less than 5 minutes, but with a vehicle recognition system, I would get a ticket. Fun times.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#6)
Typical Stripper

February 10, 2010, 07:39 AM

How about a novel idea - make the toll road 7 lanes with one HOV. TOO MANY FUCKING CARS.

While they are at it, make more ways to get out of Ashburn.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.

February 10, 2010, 07:50 AM

I hate how the way to deal with every fucking problem in this area is more bureaucratic bullshit, more administrative and fiscal overhead, and the fines or taxes to support it.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#8)
Traction Control

February 10, 2010, 07:57 AM

sucks for all the people that used to use that trick, I have before and it works great

the work from home thing: I'd agree that in general, people would get much less done. I'm sure there are people that work better from home, but majority I would guess not.

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#9)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

February 10, 2010, 07:58 AM

i admit i use that road all the time going down to dc, specially on bikes, and most of the toll booth i squeeze by the gate I DON"T PLAY TOLL. we pay VA state tax.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
I hate how the way to deal with every fucking problem in this area is more bureaucratic bullshit, more administrative and fiscal overhead, and the fines or taxes to support it.
When the truth is, the road infrastructure is built terribly here and the man is pissed that some people get to work in a reasonable amount of time without a fucking run-away Prius.

Fix the roads without one that costs almost 10 bucks a day to use. Idiots.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

The toll road is an absolute dagger when it comes to price. There are months where my bill is over $300. That sh*t starts to get expensive.

I am not sure how they will distinguish the people using the airport from those doing the looptee loop. I was under the impression that if you used the gas station that you were using airport services and therefore okay.
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

February 10, 2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
+++++++1,0000000000000

The next revolt needs to be to cut the government in half.

As long as people are looking to the government for a handout...it will never happen.
Unread
  (#13)
GET SOME ! ! !

February 10, 2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I heard about this on EITM this morning, but I agree with ya B

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#14)
Love all things fast

February 10, 2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
How about a novel idea - make the toll road 7 lanes with one HOV. TOO MANY FUCKING CARS.

While they are at it, make more ways to get out of Ashburn.

+1. . . I've been saying this forever. What is the use of having an HOV lane that moves just as slow as the regular lanes 75% of the time. The airport lanes are always empty, every once in a while it will get backed up b/c of the metrorail construction, but other then that its wide open.

Anyways, why does the airport need its own lane to leave the airport. You're not trying to catch a flight, so timing shouldn't be an issue. I believe eastbound in the morning definietly should be open to HOV. Then make the current HOV lane a regular lane for non HOV to help ease congestion.

I'm also interested in the details of this camera. According to the rules surronding the use of the airport lanes, you can use it as long as you're conducting some sort of business on the airport. Which includes purchasing products such as gas. . . . does that mean i'm getting a ticket everytime I'm filling up?

Go Hokies!!!
Unread
  (#15)
Elite Racing

February 10, 2010, 08:27 AM

I have been using the inside lanes of the toll road for over 4 years. I got a ticket for backtracking about 5 years ago. Ever since then, I stop at the gas station, every time.

Not sure how how a camera system or vehicle recognition system would really work. People drop off folks on the departure deck, pick people up on the arrival deck. Basically just a stop and go...what would prevent them from getting a ticket? Unless they look at photos from a certain time period and look for repeat offenders.

Either way, it still sucks and I agree with Ben.

They need to fix the fucking traffic problem in the area! Nate, once they hook you guys up with more ways out of Ashburn, send 'em over here. We need more ways out of South Riding. 50 and 606 both suck serious donkey balls during rush hour.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed