DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
3 members and 533 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Distant West Virginia Roads?
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Distant West Virginia Roads? - February 7, 2012, 01:49 PM

I'm trying to plan a ride for me and a couple friends that'll take us down through West Virginia. It'll be a three day ride: head down on Friday, ride Saturday, come back on Sunday.

I'm very familiar with all the roads from Winchester, to Harrisonburg, out to Elkins, up to Cumberland, back to Winchester, and all the roads in those boundaries. Outside of those boundaries, I don't know too many roads.

Could anyone recommend any roads in WV? I don't care where they are, if they are good I'll try to incorporate them into the ride. We like roads like the mountain on route 33, the mountain at Mt Storm, Smoke hole road is fun, old 55 outside wardensville, any of the mountains on route 50 (but the rest of route 50 is kinda boring), etc. I went on route 72 one time (down past Davis, the one labeled "Not Suitable For Large Trucks") and while I liked it personally, I think the rest of the group would agree it was too narrow, graveled, and slow. So roads like that aren't really what they'd enjoy. Smoke hole road is about as 'small' of a road as they'd be happy with.

So, anyone have some ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I hate Hybrid drivers

February 7, 2012, 02:38 PM

I went on 72 once. I loved it but some of the people in my group didn't like it. I had a great time on it tho.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

February 7, 2012, 02:43 PM

There's always this

Mountains & Lakes Country, West Virginia - Great motorcycle roads
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

February 7, 2012, 02:47 PM

I found a post here on the forums listing Robert Miller's top 10 WV roads. I put them into a google map here (hope others can view this): Map of Robert Miller's Top 10 WV Rides

I'll eventually create the route using these 10 roads and whatever advice I get from anyone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
I went on 72 once. I loved it but some of the people in my group didn't like it. I had a great time on it tho.
I liked it as well. I think I would have had more fun on a dualsport but it was still alright on my SV.
Unread
  (#5)
Ride naked.

February 7, 2012, 04:55 PM

Deep Creek Routes - Google Maps Incorporates WV20. Great road. 50 between Bridgeport and Deep Creek is great, too.

33 -> 28 -> Old 55 is a staple Sunday route for us. Can do the whole loop from/to DC in 8-9 hours. All great roads.

2010 Kawasaki ER-6n | heavily modded then sold then bought back
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

February 7, 2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtibrett View Post
Deep Creek Routes - Google Maps Incorporates WV20. Great road. 50 between Bridgeport and Deep Creek is great, too.

33 -> 28 -> Old 55 is a staple Sunday route for us. Can do the whole loop from/to DC in 8-9 hours. All great roads.
That's an awesome map! When you said you can do the whole loop in 8-9 hours from DC, is that just the 33/28/55 loop? You're not talking about the loop on the map that is split into three days right?

I actually live about 20 minutes from old 55 so I'm on those roads a lot....definitely some great roads out there.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

February 7, 2012, 08:57 PM

Here's a rough weekend loop. With some mods it could be made into a nice three day loop. Bottom of loop is Shady Valley, lots of good riding in that area.

SW loop - Google Maps

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

February 7, 2012, 09:59 PM

If you can connect those Top 10 roads and do them in 3 days of riding, I will be very impressed.

West Virginia is a lot bigger than it seems.
Unread
  (#9)
starbucks ADV rider

February 7, 2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Here's a rough weekend loop. With some mods it could be made into a nice three day loop. Bottom of loop is Shady Valley, lots of good riding in that area.

SW loop - Google Maps
nice route brah, might have to do this on spring
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 7, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
nice route brah, might have to do this on spring
Thanks. Lots of ways to get down and back into that SW region. This particular route has a pretty decent mix of tight twisties, sweepers, views, etc. It can be made tighter or more open with a few mods. It's roughly the route that I, Speed3 and his dad took a couple of years back. We made good time.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#11)
I hate Hybrid drivers

February 7, 2012, 10:48 PM

i book marked all the maps. i have been wanting to do some long west VA rides. I'll try to do some this year. Thanks boys.
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

February 9, 2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
i book marked all the maps. i have been wanting to do some long west VA rides. I'll try to do some this year. Thanks boys.
Just an FYI incase you didn't know or for anyone else who bookmarked them.....
You can download any of those maps by clicking on the "KML" link when you're viewing the map on google. Then you can open that file in google earth or import it back into google maps under your own user account to view it. If you don't download the file, and one of us removes the map from our user account, your bookmark will be no good.
Unread
  (#13)
EFI - 07/C2

February 10, 2012, 08:37 AM

What timeframe are you looking at for this? If you don't mind another rider I'll kick the husband out of the house for a few days (he doesn't ride enough as it is).

We're in Inwood, WV 20 miles north of Winchester off I-81.

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

February 10, 2012, 08:52 AM

Right now we're looking at Apple Blossom weekend (May 4/5/6). I haven't confirmed that date with the whole group yet (6-8 people as of right now), but about half of them are ok with that weekend. We might have a couple people going down with us Friday then coming back on Saturday instead of doing all 3 days.

Your husband is welcome to come. We're all sportbike riders, but a couple of the guys have only had their bikes for 6 months or so. That said, I'm not sure what the pace will be. Its usually 10-15 mph over depending on the road, but these will be new roads to us and we'll have new riders....so probably slower pace.
Unread
  (#15)
Got my Permit

March 11, 2012, 10:27 PM

Im in the Cumberland area and I can show ya a few rd headed back to Winchester Rt 956 which will bring from Rt 220 in MD over to rt 28 which will take you south towards Romney then in Springfield WV take county rt 3 through Points WV stay on Slanesville pike to RT 29 and then to Bloomery and then into Winchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieBlaze View Post
Right now we're looking at Apple Blossom weekend (May 4/5/6). I haven't confirmed that date with the whole group yet (6-8 people as of right now), but about half of them are ok with that weekend. We might have a couple people going down with us Friday then coming back on Saturday instead of doing all 3 days.

Your husband is welcome to come. We're all sportbike riders, but a couple of the guys have only had their bikes for 6 months or so. That said, I'm not sure what the pace will be. Its usually 10-15 mph over depending on the road, but these will be new roads to us and we'll have new riders....so probably slower pace.