DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 498
5 members and 493 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6, dubplaya, TNT
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old IBM Federal Systems Division Commute
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Old IBM Federal Systems Division Commute - July 5, 2009, 09:04 PM

Warning: This route can be dangerous on a sportbike! Keep an eye on the radar for precipitation and it has very abrupt corners. Practice first!

I learned this from the plant years ago - I used to live on the edge of Spotsylvania County VA. We would take Route 3 at Eley's Ford (610) go through a town called Richardsville you'll most likely miss that has an annual Jesus Jubilee and a Bluegrass Festival (yeah it scares the willies out of me too), but hey the fire department is huge! Then you take a right on this funky cow pasture area (Fields Mill Rd or Edwards Shop Rd)? One of these is a gravel road and one isn't as one goes through a tree farm and the other does not -- pretty obvious which one I'm going to chose on my R1.

Hang a right at Stone's Mill, there's an awesome old antique gas pump and closed down gas station out here -- that's if it is still there. This gets you to Kelly's Ford which if any of you know used to have a VERY old truss wooden plank bridge that was missing a few bits until it was closed I think 6 or 8 years ago then reopened after a completely new remodel - it's all pavement and more than the 1 lane it used to be. It used to be cool becaues sometimes you'd start riding over the bridge and a car was coming the other direction, but you couldn't see over the bump, so you'd roll down the windows to hear if the bridge was making sound before you drove over at daytime, or you just hit the breaks and put it in reverse.

Then hang a left on 651 and that'll get you to 15, 28, 29 and 17! Skip the 95 and early ugly 17 traffic in Stafford. You should know where you want to go to from there. This used to be a "best kept secret" for commuting between Manassas and Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania, as this gets you right to the famously dangerous 17/28 intersection which is known for semis plowing through a red light and several vehicles, so BE CAREFUL at all times. Oh by the way, Sylvester Stallone's mother has a huge house on that route, it's easy to spot on 28 - it's on the left going north to Manassas and is surrounded by a massive stone split rail fence.

One of the farmer's wives or daughters use to go out in her bikini in the summer and mow the lawn with a tractor during the summer - quite frequently. Most folks know the girl I'm talking about.

Anyways, enjoy.

Last edited by Lycan; July 5, 2009 at 09:08 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

July 5, 2009, 09:12 PM

there are to many reasons to go check out this route .. just let us know when Stallone is in town or the grass is high

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 5, 2009, 09:19 PM

i cant read. can you make a google map of the route?
?
Unread
  (#4)
"?"

? - July 5, 2009, 09:37 PM

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Cool July 5, 2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
Google maps, what's that? I can't take that on my bike! I know this ride from growing up, oh I forgot to mention that the bridge has a parking area which is a nice place to relax down, cookout or play with the river -- remember it has water moccasins. Not sure how it is now, I just remember how it was when the old bridge was there. I believe the old footings are still there.

Also I forgot to mention, there was a stray cow once and a block party in the middle of one of the roads after dark, deer are possible just like elsewhere. So anyways if you are interested, just a word of caution, if not, nothing to see -- I'm curious what roads off the main roads are around the area. It's a terrific bypass though - if you don't want to roast on I-95.

Let's see on google maps:

Search "VA-3 & Eley's ford to Bealeton VA" and pick the Edward's Shop Route.

The police department's employees (yes, in their police cars) used to race each other down this road. Don't let them tell you any different either, I knew the area well enough. Pruitt built and owns the massive house on the highest point across the Rapidan river bridge crossing - big developer, big house. He helped us block the construction of a cell tower, because it was in his view - he rented a large crane, raised it up as high as the tower where it was supposed to be with a big flag and asked the whole community to comment. It was blocked. Good guy, he used to come mow the property lawns by himself even after he was a made man!

I sometimes skip 17 and go to 15/29, depends.

If anyone else has some good stories about some routes, I'd love to hear them and take a ride on the route and see what you're talking about.

Last edited by Lycan; July 5, 2009 at 10:30 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

July 6, 2009, 12:53 AM

this was basically my southern ride last year

Ride:
Ride 8/9 Exploring southerly routes

Report:
Southern ride report (8/9)

The Field's Mill / Edward's shop pavement sucks hard, but Elys Ford is okay if you beware the retarded "repave half the lane" crap VA likes to do. Was a fun ride out from Manassas via some back roads, but I tried to loop it back up to Joplin after riding 218 with mixed results. We had a fun pace going most of that day.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
Can't Find the Ditch

July 14, 2009, 10:13 AM

When is the next South run. Need to show these guy how to do Joplin Road(with no traffic).
Unread
  (#8)
just some dude

July 20, 2009, 10:15 PM

i went over the old 1 lane wooden bridge when i went down to richmond last weekend. it does seem like a cool place to hang out, play in the river and chill for a little bit. i may do that the next time i'm out there. and like dvlsadv8 wrote above, the road west of the bridge is bumpy as hell though, the edwards shop road portion.

here's a pic of the route i took:

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid