DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
3 members and 538 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Shenandoah Valley weekend trip
Unread
  (#1)
Dressed for Success

Shenandoah Valley weekend trip - March 24, 2006, 09:25 AM

I am planning a bike trip down to Lexington, VA and all through the Shenandoah Valley where I am looking to ride between 600~750 miles over the weekend. (Yeah, I know this isnít much for some guys on there, but my arse is only used to day trips of less than 200 miles).

I have a few questions:

What would be a good suggested route between Luray and Waynesboro? Skyline is great, but I always get an uncontrollable twitch in my right hand on that road. Does the speed limit on the Blue Ridge Parkway pick back up after Skyline drive ends? Should I work my way more west into West Virginia?

What key supplies will I need to pack? I know Iím going to need to take some chain lube. Iíd probably skip on the tire quick-fixers unless someone strongly discourages it. Anything else out of the ordinary?

Has anyone tried to pull a bike into a motel room? Unfortunately I canít get a room in the alumni building because they are all already reserved. Any ideas on accommodations? Any bad/good experiences?

And finally, would anyone be up for joining me for part of the way? I am heading down in the early afternoon on Friday, April 28th and back up late morning Sunday, April 30th. (Saturday is a group ride with some folks from school).

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

March 24, 2006, 09:38 AM

I pulled my bike into a hotel room... just get the cheap kind with the ground floor entrance. Make sure no one sees you, I'm certain it's a fire hazzard and other various violations.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Dressed for Success

March 24, 2006, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
I pulled my bike into a hotel room... just get the cheap kind with the ground floor entrance. Make sure no one sees you, I'm certain it's a fire hazzard and other various violations.
Awesome -- I think I know just the backwoods, hellhole place.
Unread
  (#4)
Groundhogs can play dead

March 24, 2006, 09:42 AM

that sounds like fun...
I'd just take the Blue Ridge Pkwy all the way down past Roanoke. Start in Fr. Royal and head south. But make sure you pack food as resaurants are limited.

Edit: and pack a sleeping bag.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Retired to most ...

March 24, 2006, 09:43 AM

I've done it before .. no issues. Course I had a room facing the back of the building

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#6)
Dressed for Success

March 24, 2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
that sounds like fun...
I'd just take the Blue Ridge Pkwy all the way down past Roanoke. Start in Fr. Royal and head south. But make sure you pack food as resaurants are limited.

Blue Ridge Pkwy is Skyline Drive north of Waynesboro right? Good point on the food -- didn't think about that for the ride through the park.
Unread
  (#7)
Groundhogs can play dead

March 24, 2006, 10:03 AM

yes, I believe Skyline turns into Blue Ridge Pkwy in Waynesboro.
Damn, I know there are a couple of people who could give you faster roads than that. DarkStaR6, TricknR6... where are they when you need 'em?

Tanya
Unread
  (#8)
Dressed for Success

March 24, 2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Damn, I know there are a couple of people who could give you faster roads than that. DarkStaR6, TricknR6... where are they when you need 'em?
That's why on the 6th day God created the Benbumpasaurus.

Last edited by Ninja636; March 24, 2006 at 10:18 AM..
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

March 24, 2006, 10:11 AM

If you want I have some Fieldsheer saddlebags that can hold a good bit of gear matt. They don't get in the way and they are sporty. Let me know if you wanna borrow em man. They are REALLY easy to fit to any sport bike.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#10)
Dressed for Success

March 24, 2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
If you want I have some Fieldsheer saddlebags that can hold a good bit of gear matt. They don't get in the way and they are sporty. Let me know if you wanna borrow em man. They are REALLY easy to fit to any sport bike.
I might take you up on that offer. I picked up a 2100 ci tail bag. I'm hoping that, along with a small tank bag, would be enough for traveling light. I'll let you know when the folks in brown deliver it.
Unread
  (#11)
Groundhogs can play dead

March 24, 2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja636
That's why on the 6th day God created the Benbumpasaurus.

The HumpBenasaurus? what?

Tanya
Unread
  (#12)
Pleased to meet me

March 24, 2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
that sounds like fun...

Melting Pot in Front Royal.
Unread
  (#13)
Ballaugh Bridge

March 24, 2006, 03:58 PM

Pick up Rt 42 just west of New Market and head south. About 15 miles south of Harrisonburg you will come an intersection of Rt42,607, and 731 (Natural Chimney Rd). There are lots of good roads if you were to continue heading south and west, but make a left on Mt Solon Rd and go south towards Staunton. It will become Rt 613 (Spring Hill Rd). After 10 miles you will come to Hwy 275. Make a left and follow that. It will become Hwy 254 and go straight into Waynesboro.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#14)
Dressed for Success

March 24, 2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Pick up Rt 42 just west of New Market and head south. About 15 miles south of Harrisonburg you will come an intersection of Rt42,607, and 731 (Natural Chimney Rd). There are lots of good roads if you were to continue heading south and west, but make a left on Mt Solon Rd and go south towards Staunton. It will become Rt 613 (Spring Hill Rd). After 10 miles you will come to Hwy 275. Make a left and follow that. It will become Hwy 254 and go straight into Waynesboro.
Just the type of route I was looking for. Thanks Travis!
Unread
  (#15)
MSF Student

March 24, 2006, 05:10 PM

Skyline drive is a great road and area to ride. I would definitely suggest watching your speed though. I went with a group a while ago and had an great time.

http://yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....hlight=skyline
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to phelanx