DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 237
2 members and 235 guests
Sal_the_man, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Favorite Routes and Conditions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Trip to Michigan
Unread
  (#1)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

Trip to Michigan - January 3, 2007, 08:18 AM

It looks like I'm going to be heading to Ludington MI this summer for a camping trip. I'm going to be able to send most of my gear ahead of me, and I'm riding my bike up with my Dad. I'm on a Kawi 500r, and he's on some ginormous Suzuki cruiser that I only have my Moms description of and havn't seen in person yet (they live in FL).

I'm looking for a good route, as taking the interstate around the Chicago/Gary area is teh suck. I'm considering going through Canada, up around lake Onterio. WHat should I be seeing while I"m there? Is there a particularly good route that I should take? It's a long way off, but the time for planning is now.

Any advice on strapping a tent to my bike is appreciated. I can probably talk him into packing most of the rest of the crap onto his bike, as it's much better suited to this kind of thing and his recent trip to Alaska has made him a packing genius.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
January 3, 2007, 01:42 PM

Go up through central MI Ludington is about halfway up the lake. Grand Rapids has some cool stuff. No need to go through Chi town at all. Ludington is on the LP. Detroit has some really cool stuff. Ill look at a map later and give you some more ideas.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.

Last edited by DRAGULA; January 3, 2007 at 07:52 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
whats in your drink?

January 3, 2007, 08:06 PM

What kind of ride do you want? Once you pass Wheeling WV. its all pretty flat. If you wnt the quickest route here it is. Get on 80 before Toledo it wil change to 80/90 keep going west towards Angola. At exit 144 go north on BR69. Run this to Lansing. At Lansing go BR96 north to 96. Then grab 96 west. That will take you througfh Grand Rapids to Cloverville. Thats where you will find 31 north to Ludington.

When are you going?

The second to last weekend in August is the Woodward Dream cruise. If you or your pop are into hot rods this thing makes Carlisle look like a county fair.

X
Unread
  (#4)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

January 4, 2007, 06:38 AM

I'm headed out in July, or thereabouts. I'm trying to avoid the interstates for at least a chunk of the thing. There's loose talk of an Ironbutt attempt on either the way out or back, but I want to enjoy what I can. The trick there is to find roads that don't have a five mile stop-n-go section through every town from here to Shamokin.

As to rigging the bike, I think I can get away with just a light sleeping bag, mat, and tent on the rear seat, probably just in place with a bungee web and the rest in a tank bag. We can fit the rest on his bike, and it's just two days. The simplicity should do me good.
Unread
  (#5)
whats in your drink?

January 4, 2007, 05:52 PM

Take 40 west to 79 north to 70 west then bust out a map on the other side of Pittsburg

X
I grew up near Ludington.
Unread
  (#6)
F4iGuy

I grew up near Ludington. - January 6, 2007, 11:57 PM

There are a ton of nice areas along Lake Michigan, if you get the chance to ride through. But to warn you Lansing / Detroit area is always busy with traffic. If I were riding up I would stay West on 80/90 to 13/131 N. You'll go through a couple miles of small towns(Niles and Constantine, MI)
After about Constatine, Northbound 131 becomes a two lane highway. Stay North to 96 W at Grand Rapids. Follow 96 to 31 north at Muskegon keep north to Ludington. Just a warning Michigan roads/highways are all bumpy as hell. Once in Ludington, if you feel like riding anymore, check out Old 31 which runs North along the Lake Michigan shoreline to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Or head back south on 31 to Hart/Pentwater and check out Silver Lake State Park. Where you can rent atv's and take on Test Hill.

Let me know how that ride goes I keep trying to challenge myself to the 12 hour ride on my F4i.........
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

February 3, 2007, 07:29 PM

i dont know road from dc to mi but if you are thinking about going around lake ontario from Detroit, expect lot of long straight road. There are no hill / mountain in ontario but I know some good route from there up to toronto...(I travel that route once a month) pm me i can give you more info if you are planning to ride around ontario..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to yorkee  
Unread
  (#8)
Sick!!!

February 3, 2007, 08:06 PM

let me know the dates if you can, I"m gonna be goin up the Charlevoix MI in july and thats just more north of where your goin.

Not to pimp another website but these are the guys I ride with from MI, I'm sure they will give you some good roads.

http://detroitsportbikes.com

Last edited by The Bogert; February 3, 2007 at 08:11 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert