DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 451
5 members and 446 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

April 14, 2003, 03:01 PM

My buddy recently got a Dynojet stage 1 jet kit and a Yoshi tri oval slip on with a zyclone baffle. He had the jet kit and slip on installed at a shop and has brought the bike back twice to get the jetting corrected.
At full throttle, the bike sputters pretty badly between 6000-8000 rpms. :mad2:
Does anyone have any experience with this and have any suggestions?

2006 Black ZX-10
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

April 14, 2003, 03:10 PM

What shop are you taking it to?

I suggest talking to Nick Jennet at Champions.
He is the dyno/tuner guy there.
He is all that and a bag of chips.

*note Degree in rocket science

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

April 14, 2003, 03:25 PM

Took it to fairfax cycles. I've had good expereinces there but I will definitly check out Champion Motorsports. Got the bike there anyways. I've heard from some people that the R6's are a pain in a*& to get tuned in and that the Ivan's jet kit is the way to go

2006 Black ZX-10
Unread
  (#4)
AWOL

April 18, 2003, 09:57 PM

Guess what.....R6's are a pain in a*& to get tuned in and the Ivan's jet kit is the way to go. The expensive Factory Pro 'race' kit also gets the job done. Dynojet kit will get the top end sorted with a full system but suffers from the well known 6-8k rich spot because they took the decision that fixing all the problems with tuned R6 carburation required mods that were beyond the installation skills of the average owner - and for race use the results were OK.

Now the good news/bad news fix. With a slip-on and Zyclone baffle, the bike should work just fine with STOCK JETTING. Unfortunately, if Fairfax installed the kit properly, they will have drilled out the stock main air corrector jets (one of the pair facing into the airbox under the velocity stacks) and pressed-in the dynojet inserts. This mod is not easily reversable since the air correctors are pressed into the carb body and not designed to be changed (they can be pulled out but replacements cannot be relied upon to stay in - you don't want to suck a jet into your engine now do you!). There is a slim chance that Fairfax didn't fit the Dynojet insert - I have seen many installers shy away from drilling the carbs, miss this step and hope it will still run OK - which it does. To be sure, you need to pull the airbox lid, remove one of the velocity stacks and see if you can spot an insert pressed into one of the pair of air corrector jets. If no - pull the carbs and re-install all the stock components, if yes - buy an Ivan's or Factory race kit and follow the instuctions to the letter.

Removing the carbs on an R6 is a bit painfull and involves a few hard learned tricks. You will need a long ball ended allen and an ability to work blind to undo the carb retaining clamp screws. Takes me 4-5 hours to do the whole thing including the carb mods - plan on a weekend an lots of patience if it is your first time.

Hope that helps a bit - sorry to hear that you have been led up this unnecessary and painful path.

Nick Jennett
Humble Tuner

Lost somewhere in the Universe - back soon
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

April 18, 2003, 10:26 PM

Ummm...yeah! That's exactly what I was going to say! :jester:

I told you, Nick's the man.

PAY UP LEE!

I've never had a lack of self confidence I wasn't sure I could overcome.
www.twodogsracing.net
WERA #521 CCS #521 '
03 R6 '00 R1 '02 R1 '04 R1 (coming February)
'02 GRC GP R1 Replica pocketbike (read monster)
Unread
  (#6)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

April 30, 2003, 12:40 AM

I am Flylan's roomate, and I just want to say that Fairfax Cycles really hooked me up. Casey really went the extra mile on this one. He went out of his way to make this work. He was and is probably pissed off with the thing, I know I was on those warm days when my bike was in the shop. I just joined so I can say that Casey is the man, and Fairfax Cycles does excellent work that they will stand behind. Even if it is Dynojet or Yamaha's fault it was screwing up on him. He probably took a hit during the busiest time of the year, but was willing to keep at it until it was fixed. I am sure this is a lot more than other shops would do, and I appreciate it. This is a f*@#ed up problem with the newer carbureted R6s, that it sucks to learn about the hard way.

Rob