DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
3 members and 543 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
'08 R6 TPS issue
Unread
  (#1)
My R6 eats me.

'08 R6 TPS issue - September 21, 2011, 09:08 AM

I'm wondering for anyone who's worked on an '07+ R6 with the drive by wire if they've seen this issue. After installing my power commander, I went to calibrate the Throttle position with it. I went to my bike's diagnostic mode and its supposed to be around 15-16 at idle and 96-98 at WOT. Mine went from 15 to 65 only once and then it wouldn't respond unless I turned off the bike and put it back into diagnostic mode again. So checking the voltages with the power commander. The min voltage for (idle) is about 0.7v. WOT should be around 3.9v. I am only getting 2.5v at WOT it seems.

This weekend, I think I will open the bike up and test the TPS system. My question is if anyone has any idea what to test exactly before I completely tear into it?

As far as riding the bike goes. I've never noticed a problem. Probably because I've never taken the bike into WOT on the street and never compared it to another R6.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SW20  
Unread
  (#2)
My R6 eats me.

September 22, 2011, 09:17 AM

I think I figured it out

no modifications other than Power Commander V

When the PCV's throttle position wire is attached, the bike is unable to open the throttle completely in diagnostic mode(according to the ECU, I have not visually verified the throttlebodies opening yet).

Idle throttle shows: d01: 17
wide open throttle shows: d01: 64
after which I cannot open it again unless I restart diagnostics.

When the throttle position wire is removed, the diagnostic behavior is normal
Idle throttle shows: d01: 17
wide open throttle shows: d01: 101
I can open and close it over and over

with the throttle position wire connected, the voltage of the throttle position signal wire is:
idle throttle shows: 0.75v
wide open throttle shows: 2.535v

with the throttle position wire disconnected, the voltage of the throttle position signal wire is:
idle throttle shows: 0.75v
wide open throttle shows: 4.12v

I have emailed Power Commander to see if this is normal, I'm not sure if this is affecting my bike when the engine is running. Perhaps throttle function is normal with the engine running. I did notice the Power Commander was unpowered when I had the bike in diagnostic mode. I tried hooking up the USB to my laptop to supply power, but I'm not sure if that counts.
Unread
  (#3)
My R6 eats me.

September 22, 2011, 11:40 AM

I got a reply back from DynoJet. It answered some of my questions.

I hope this helps anyone else with a drive-by-wire throttle

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your interest and support of our products.
This bike uses a fly-by wire system, so conventional tuning can not be performed for all RPM and throttle ranges.
The GREY wire from the PCIII is attached to the throttle blade angle sensor of the throttle bodies which is NOT directly correlated to the throttle grip position. Because of this
when setting the throttle position in the PCv software we recommend on resetting only the closed position after the bike has completely warmed up. Use the arrow key (<) nex
CLOSED to perform this step and then click OK. Do not try to set the OPEN position unless you are on a dyno and above 10000rpm.
You will notice that in the maps there are not detailed values below 10000rpm at 100% throttle and below 9000rpm at 60-80%. This is because the throttle blades will not open
more than 60% below this RPM range no matter how much throttle input is given. Therefore this area can not be tuned.
Hope this helps.
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

September 22, 2011, 11:43 AM

I love threads with self-convo's.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
My R6 eats me.

September 22, 2011, 11:51 AM

I figured if no one offhand knew, I'd share my findings in case someone else ran into the same thing. (and my multiple personalities need entertaining)