DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
6 members and 518 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
IrightI

August 2, 2003, 03:49 PM

Really only for R6 owners I guess. About to get some new tires and I was looking for
experienced feedback. I was thinking about getting the 70 series but have heard
about fitment problems. Who knows what's up?

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
boxing twins

August 2, 2003, 04:59 PM

What are you looking to achieve in deviating from the stock size?

Unless you know what you're doing, I recommend you stick with the stock sizes otherwise you could end up in steering geometry hell.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#3)
strip joint sugardaddy

August 2, 2003, 05:55 PM

The 70 series is significantly taller so you'll need to raise the forks in the triples 5-10mm to compensate for the taller tire. 7mm is a good starting point. That's the least of your worries.

The 70 series will barely fit under the stock front fender. At high speeds the tire will expand a bit and rub on the trailing edge of the fender throwing hot rubber bits all into your radiator and in some cases tear up the fender. You'll need to modify the front fender mounting point for more clearance.

I think that most good street tires are available in 120/60 series, but when you're talking race rubber the 120/60s are few and far between, which is why track junkies and racers go with the 120/70.

[Edited on 3/8/2003 by Big_B]

Founder, President and CFO
Bananarama Fan Club
Shenandoah Valley Chapter
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 3, 2003, 11:53 PM

I just put some 120-70s on my SV up front. Wanted some GP tires, so I took my wheels over to the Dunlop tent at Summit on Monday. Thought about raising the forks to compensate, but decided to keep it the same for now and see how it felt. I only got to run one session on them before the rain came, and most of that session I wasn't running too hard, but they felt great and I didn't notice a huge difference in handling. I'll let you know after VIR on the 18th if I really notice a difference in handling.

I definitely liked the fact that I no longer was using every bit of my front tire. I had scrubbed my M-1s to the edge up front, and was very glad to see the the D208 GP tires had tread left over.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 7, 2003, 02:09 PM

You could always get a 120/65.
That's what I have on my SV. With the 60 I was nearly running off the edge of the tire and it felt like it wanted to tuck at the limit. A taller tire also helps absorb mid-corner bumps. After changing tire profiles and adding gold valves to the forks, my SV's front end was planted even over the worst bumps.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 7, 2003, 02:18 PM

Have you run GP tires on your SV Travis? Dunlop only had a 120/70 front. What did you use at the track?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

August 7, 2003, 06:26 PM

Quote:
At high speeds the tire will expand a bit and rub on the trailing edge of the fender throwing hot rubber bits all into your radiator and in some cases tear up the fender.
[Edited on 3/8/2003 by Big_B]
Or sometimes the fender just comes flying off when you are blazing down the straitaway.
Unread
  (#8)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

August 10, 2003, 08:17 PM

I recently put on 120/70 M1's in the front. Didn't have to mod my fender at all... No problems so far, but there is a lot more road noise from the tire. I also raised the forks by 10mm. Oh, I own a '01 R6. Bike feels WAY better now... I recommend doing it.
Unread
  (#9)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 10, 2003, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Have you run GP tires on your SV Travis? Dunlop only had a 120/70 front. What did you use at the track?
No. Only the original Metzelers and Dunlop 207ZRon the track. The Metzelers were better than the Dunlops too. I have yet to have it on the track with the Sportecs but I did some very fast riding (avg 70-75) with one turn after another on the Big Island (smooth racetrack-like roads) with them and I was very pleased with them. With the way the weathers been street tires would be a better choice right now. I wouldn't mind racing in the rain with Sportecs.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship