DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
3 members and 556 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

October 6, 2003, 07:15 PM

I talked to a guy at MFI couple of days ago about the service and he said all that I'll probably need to do is change the oil. That sounded good to me I thought I would also lube some parts, clean and relube the chain... ya know basic stuff but, then I referred to my manual and there's all this stuff to check or adjust that I'm not familiar with (guess I should've gone to that maintenance seminar huh). So what do you guys think I should do listen to the guy from MFI or just take the bike in for the service? :dunno:

[Edited on 7/10/2003 by aBuck5]

Blue '03 Ninja250

~Stop dreaming and Just do it~

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
boxing twins

October 6, 2003, 10:58 PM

What do you ride? That'll determine what hard work needs to be done (ex: Ducati, or Aprilia = valve adjustment). And if you can rattle off the items on the maintenance chart. It'll definately have an oil & oil filter change, a whole bunch of items to inspect, and probably cables to lube.

Routine:
- every 600 miles, clean & lube the chain, assuming your bike has one (I use WD-40 to clean & PJ-1 Black to lube) [wipe off excess lube & don't get any on the tire or brake rotor]
- every 3000 miles, replace oil & oil filter (yeah, just spend the $15 and replace the filter)

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#3)

October 6, 2003, 11:09 PM

I agree with hayabusafiend.
Unless you are noticing something particular with your bike, then you would be well served to take it in. Depends on if you are riding an Augusta MV or whatever...but I have like 4k on my 954 and have maintained it myself for the first 2 services.
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

October 7, 2003, 01:00 AM

:doh: ya that vital info would help wouldn't it > Ninja250

Blue '03 Ninja250

~Stop dreaming and Just do it~