DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
8 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 12, 2003, 05:01 PM

I was thinking of putting an aftermarket air filter in my GSXR1000. I have heard that is is best to leave the stock air filter in, AND I have also heard that is a good idea to change it for better air flow. Any input on this?

Jeff
2002 GSX-R1000 : For Sale $7000 - SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AWOL

March 13, 2003, 12:22 AM

Have not had a chance to compare filters in the big gixxer on the dyno but generally the filter is not a significant restriction on modern sportbikes until you are making considerably more power than stock. Even my own bike (a ZRX) with its old style airbox makes the same power with a stock filter and a few minor airbox mods as it does with entirely open carbs IF BOTH SETUPS ARE JETTED OPTIMALLY (over 30% difference in main jet size in this case).

Some open class bikes DO show a slight (1-2hp) increase with a filter change (ZX-12 with BMC filters being the best example I have measured) since their displacement to available airbox space ratio is higher than the 600/750s. Since the GSX-R1000 is basically 750 based, it would be worthwhile to test.

What I can assure you is that a DIRTY K&N or BMC flows FAR WORSE than a stock filter of similar mileage - so get ready to keep washing and re-oiling it if you go ahead.

Hope that helps!

Nick Jennett
Humble Tuner

Lost somewhere in the Universe - back soon
Unread
  (#3)
Addicted to farm animals

March 13, 2003, 06:50 AM

My K&N has been virtually maintenance free. Unless you ride on dusty roads or in the mud then cleaning would only be on routine oil changes which should be done anyway. You have to throw the stock one away when it gets dirty but you can keep on using the K&N.

As for performance you probably won't see a big difference with the filter until you do other mods. So I have to agree with CMSdyno on that one.Just my .02.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#4)
Has an idiot exemption

March 17, 2003, 08:08 PM

I got the BMC filter from Factory Pro when I got my jet kit and Marc said the stock filter flowed as good or better than the BMC.
The BMC is easier to maintain but I'd like to compare them on the dyno to see about the power...

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net