DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 236
1 members and 235 guests
Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bad gas or PC3?
Unread
  (#1)
2 wheels for life

Bad gas or PC3? - April 3, 2011, 09:08 PM

Ok so I have a last minute crisis .. My track bike sat outside all winter with the u4 gas (I think) .. It started up at the first hit today and I let it idle for a while .. so I turned if off and went to get more gas .. put 93 in it and tried starting it up and it won't start .. starting fluid makes it run for a few seconds but then it dies almost immediately no matter how much I keep the throttle open .. was wondering if the pc3 or bad gas is the cause .. getting fresh gas and cleaning out the lines is easy and thats what I am gonna do but I am cluless about pc3 .. it is running on a map for u4

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

April 3, 2011, 09:10 PM

remove PC3. If it still does it, it's not the PC3.

Add new gas to shit gas won't fix shit gas. Sound like you need to clean the fuel system at the very least.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
2 wheels for life

April 3, 2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
remove PC3. If it still does it, it's not the PC3.

Add new gas to shit gas won't fix shit gas. Sound like you need to clean the fuel system at the very least.
yea but why did it start up with shit gas without a hiccup?

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#4)
whoa preppy......

April 3, 2011, 09:16 PM

it only takes one little piece of trash floating around to ruin your day. Maybe it settled and was pumped into your injection system after the restart.

2016 Concours 1400
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Contributes nothing

April 3, 2011, 09:27 PM

NEVER leave race gas in a bike....its the u4. You're gonna need to do some cleaning of the fuel system. That stuff has turned into a nice mess of gummy shit by now

-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.

Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Unread
  (#6)
2 wheels for life

April 3, 2011, 09:29 PM

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 3, 2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzl337 View Post
NEVER leave race gas in a bike....its the u4. You're gonna need to do some cleaning of the fuel system. That stuff has turned into a nice mess of gummy shit by now
^^

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

April 3, 2011, 10:07 PM

DEEP, you never cease to amaze me brother Yeah, race gas deteriorates much much quicker than regular gas. I'm talking about it being useless within a week or two depending on the type of race gas. Leaving it over the winter is a big no no. I'm no expert in fuel injection systems though so I have no idea how to fix it.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#9)
unapologetic

April 3, 2011, 10:24 PM

RACE GAS!!!! WOO-HOO!!! XXX LOVES race gas!

follow these simple, and time consuming steps to begin to fix the problem you probably have:

empty all of the gas from the tank.

remove the pump assembly, replace the fuel sock/filter

re-install fuel tank

add one 8 oz bottle of isopropyl alchohol with a mild fuel cleaner of your choice (I prefer BG PN#203, CF5 Fuel Treatment, half in the tank BEFORE the fuel is added, the other half goes in your car) to a tank full of REGULAR fuel.

Make sure battery is fully charged, plugs are debris free and moderately clean, and air filter and airbox is unobstructed

Fire away. Allow new fuel mixed with cleaners to cycle through the fuel system properly and let the bike idle. Count to 10. Gently raise idle to around 2500 for a little to get fuel flow up to try to get the injectors cleaned up. Ride the shit out of the bike.

Don't ever leave U4 in your bike again. Ever.

And if you don't mind me asking, did you need U4 because your motor builder told you that the bike needed it to run well or because someone told you that you should? Not being sarcastic, but race gas is really expensive (as you know) and the benefit to cost ratio is sloped.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

April 3, 2011, 10:27 PM

When is your track day?

I came over and fixed your last fueling crisis. I must have been really bored that day. Somebody else's turn this time!

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
Unread
  (#11)
2 wheels for life

April 3, 2011, 11:00 PM

@Turkish -- I was under the assumption that ethanol is the main culprit coz it is hygroscopic and pure octane on its own should not decompose

@Hollywood -- The guy I bought it from raced this bike and probably used u4 to get more hp?? thanks for providing the cleanup procedure

I did a quick search on the u4 gas and seems people have had similar problems with it .. It is a little unclear to me as to why .. the way it sounds like (as yzl337 said) it dissolves some of the lining material overtime coz no way a straight chain alkane could decompose on its own unless there are additives I do not know about ..

@Kenny -- I hope you get bored sometime this week too .. j/k I should be ok .. just means I gotta take some time out and work on this shit .. td is next Sunday

Adrenaline Addict
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

April 3, 2011, 11:37 PM

Race gas can be stored for elongated periods of time if stored in an air and light tight container. Unfortunately our gas tanks are not exactly air tight. Once you fix the issue I would suggest loading a normal map on your pciii or taking it off all together so that you can run regular gas off of it. In the long run your life will be made easier and your bank account will thank you for it

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

April 4, 2011, 05:18 AM

the U4 will eat the fuel system and valve guides if left in for any length of time. Hopefully the guides aren't messed up.

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

April 4, 2011, 06:51 AM

@Hollywood...Hey, that was a great cleanup procedure guide. Is doing this recommended for non-race bikes too as high-mileage maintenance? I have 03 Gixxer with about 30K miles on it?

Sorry for thread hijacking and sounding stupid since I don't race my bike...yet.
Unread
  (#15)
2 wheels for life

April 4, 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Race gas can be stored for elongated periods of time if stored in an air and light tight container. Unfortunately our gas tanks are not exactly air tight. Once you fix the issue I would suggest loading a normal map on your pciii or taking it off all together so that you can run regular gas off of it. In the long run your life will be made easier and your bank account will thank you for it
Sounds like a good idea .. people say it is not helpfull if you do not have a aftermarket exhaust? .. I will try taking it off .. how hard is it?

Adrenaline Addict