DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 518
8 members and 510 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, HenryW, MPSniper, nootherids, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

November 30, 2004, 05:07 PM

1990 Kawasaki ZX10, Bike will stall and then won't start again unless I jump it with my car. Then starts fine. Runs for a 5-10 minutes then if I come to a stop and the bike idles it will die and I can't restart off the batt with out a jump. Battery or something else? You decide. Does a bike have an alternator like a car? How does the battery recharge after start?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
November 30, 2004, 05:18 PM

Before we all start guessing make sure the batt. has a full charge on it. You will need a battery tender or a low powerd trickle charger to do this. The bikes altenator isnt strong enough to do it by itself. Most likely its time for a new batt. after that you will need to check the alt. output and the voltage regulator operation.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

November 30, 2004, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGULA
Before we all start guessing make sure the batt. has a full charge on it. You will need a battery tender or a low powerd trickle charger to do this. The bikes altenator isnt strong enough to do it by itself. Most likely its time for a new batt. after that you will need to check the alt. output and the voltage regulator operation.
That was quick! I got the battery about 6 months ago at walmart. How can I check the alternator output and voltage regulater?
Thanks for the help.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#4)
Ballaugh Bridge

November 30, 2004, 06:00 PM

This thread pretty much covers everything.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/index.ph...316&highlight=

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#5)
Go Team Venture!!!

November 30, 2004, 06:15 PM

Let me ask this another way. Is there anything with the battery that would cause the bike to stall after running for a few minutes or at idle, if the battery is dead?

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#6)
Ballaugh Bridge

November 30, 2004, 07:06 PM

If that's the case, there is a very good chance the regulator/rectifier is bad. That's one of things my VFR would do when I had R/R problems. It will either over or undercharge the battery, sometimes both at different time. This destroys the battery.

Definately not worth buying a new one, over $200. If you can get one off ebay for $5 do that. Unfortunately a ZX10's r/r is quite different than most, otherwise I'd let you try some spares I have lying around.

Nearly forgot, it's a "chicken or the egg" sort of thing too. Either one going bad (r/r or battery) can cause the other to fail.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#7)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
November 30, 2004, 09:53 PM

Wally world doesnt know that generally " a bike batt needs a full charge before an install" Some bikes like an Aspencade or big azz tour bike can do it but, most will never charge a battery, they just sell em.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#8)
Resident Rodent

November 30, 2004, 11:08 PM

I'de (not that this is right ... but I tryin to help ... so take this in a measured way):

1) Take the battery to NAPA or Autozone and have it tested "under load" that should tell you if you need a new one (if it's "flat dead").

2) Now, that does not necessarily solve your problem. If your charging system is bad ... you have only cured a symptom ... not the problem. You will know quick, too. If your new battery goes bad in 3 days .... or 1 month ... that means it's not getting recharged.

3) So, from here ... if you still have a problem it's most likely voltage regulator or rest of charging system ... rocket physics to me ... so ... get real help.

This sound right to everybody?

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

December 1, 2004, 07:45 AM

i'd be pretty sure its a rectifier if the battery dies that quickly.
contact the guys at www.cycleoutlet.com if you cant find anything...they sometimes have really good prices. i got a rectifier for my secaII for $42 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
If that's the case, there is a very good chance the regulator/rectifier is bad. That's one of things my VFR would do when I had R/R problems. It will either over or undercharge the battery, sometimes both at different time. This destroys the battery.

Definately not worth buying a new one, over $200. If you can get one off ebay for $5 do that. Unfortunately a ZX10's r/r is quite different than most, otherwise I'd let you try some spares I have lying around.

Nearly forgot, it's a "chicken or the egg" sort of thing too. Either one going bad (r/r or battery) can cause the other to fail.
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption

December 1, 2004, 10:22 AM

Jedi,
Stop by the house and I'll help you check it out.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

December 1, 2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi
Let me ask this another way. Is there anything with the battery that would cause the bike to stall after running for a few minutes or at idle, if the battery is dead?
cold weather
clogged carbs

..just a suggestion..
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

December 1, 2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_multistrada
Quote:
cold weather
clogged carbs

..just a suggestion..
that CAN be a culprit but the key is it dies at idle and that he cannot start without jump/pop starting it and after its been running for 10-15 minutes .
ie when the bike is running, its not charging the battery.
and since a carb bike can still run at idle with a dead battery it basically points towards the rectifier.
Unread
  (#13)
What's today? aah fuck it

December 1, 2004, 11:28 AM

Don't stop, just keep riding, ride like the wind!
Unread
  (#14)
Go Team Venture!!!

December 1, 2004, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9
Jedi,
Stop by the house and I'll help you check it out.
Thanx Steve but I will wait for a warm day (could be March before that happens).

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#15)
Go Team Venture!!!

December 1, 2004, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_multistrada
Quote:
cold weather
clogged carbs

..just a suggestion..
Nope carbs are as clean as they can get. Spent two days tearing them apart and cleaning the gunk out. The bike will start just fine if there is power.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!