DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
2 members and 558 guests
ReasonableDoubt, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

October 12, 2005, 03:15 PM

After the recent trip to the dragon I have been helping a friend with repairs. We are having trouble determining what is damaged and what is not. Itís a 02 GSXR750 and the issue we are facing is what is bent, the triples, the forks, or a combo. We donít believe itís the frame. The front wheel is misaligned, like a bad alignment job in a car, wheel straight, tires cockeyed. And the front has been pushed back so that it was close to the front cowling. The steering stop was broken off in the accident, and the front steering damper is blown, but the rim survived unscathed. Ideas?

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

October 12, 2005, 04:02 PM

It's all tweaked.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Spike

October 12, 2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
It's all tweaked.
BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#4)
Got Any Gwapes?

October 12, 2005, 04:39 PM

My guess...forks, wheel, triples and frame.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

October 13, 2005, 09:43 AM

wheel is fine, not bent at all, how can we check to see if the forks/triples are bent? I assume eventually he will take the frame to have it checked by a GMD Computrack, but how can we tell, ie what are the tests to find out what is bent?

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#6)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 13, 2005, 12:12 PM

If it's a painted frame...look for cracks in the paint near the steering head.

You didn't say haw the wreck happened. Did he hit something?

FYI...if you hit hard enough to break off the steering stops....it's probably bent. Try putting wheel weights there. Soft lead deforms nicely and absorbs some of the impact.

Is it bent bad enough to get rid of....depends. try loosening the forks & front wheel. Sometimes they are just bound up.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

October 13, 2005, 03:00 PM

Bad news. If the front wheel is closer to the front cowling than it should be then you are most likely looking at a bent frame on the GSXR. They are weak there, but fortunately can be straightened. GMD Computrack is the best known and trusted source for this. They will also check out your forks and triples, along with the swingarm, subframe, etc. Basically the measurements they do are all inclusive. They put little target stickers all over the bike and look at them with a precision optical measuring tool. I donít think you can say ďI just want the front measuredĒ. The measurement is only a couple hundred bucks anyway. The pain starts when frame has to go into the straightening jig.

Iím pretty sure the í02 frame is unpainted. Look closely at the thin metal of the frame spars near where the head stock is welded on. There may be some subtle stress marks. Rub a finger over the area to detect any waviness or wrinkles.

If you want to get an idea ahead of time about needing new forks or triples you can check them pretty well yourself:

Take the forks off making note of how easily they slide out of the triple clamps.

Roll the forks on a flat surface. If thereís any detectable (by eye) run out (wiggle at one end or the other when rolled) then they are bent. GMD can straighten slightly bent forks.

Place the triple clamps on a flat surface. The three holes (2 fork, 1 head stock) must be parallel. GMD can straighten triple clamps too.

Donít ask how I know this stuff.

Expect to be out about a grand.

This doesnít need to be said to you probably but Iíll put it up here for noobs:

If the front is ďtuckedĒ as described above then critical geometry has been altered. The rake will be steeper and trail will be less. The bike is VERY dangerous to ride.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

October 13, 2005, 04:28 PM

Get is computracked. Like Jim said, if the forks are a bitch to get out, they are tweaked usually. That is what I suspect is most of your problem.
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

October 13, 2005, 07:38 PM

Jim, you da man! Thanks, do you, or anyone have contacts for GMD Computrack in the area, I think the closest are PA and GA, but Im not sure.

My friend just told me Casey took apart the front end and was able to disassemble and reassemble the front end and after straghtening the lower tripple he was able to get everything aligned pretty well. There are no waves/crinkles on the frame, we were checking that last night, but to be sure he needs/will get it checked/straightned.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#10)
You meet the nicest

October 13, 2005, 10:05 PM

Glad to hear he's going to get it checked out. That shat is nothing to fool with. Unfortunately the closest 2 GMDs to us are in GA & NY. Unless it's logistically easier to get the bike to NY, I'd go with Kent Soignier in GA (877-297-8464) He is one of the two original GMDs in the US with the other being in CA (I got to know them too)

He also supports Cornerspeed instructors

Well good luck, hopefully it's not bent.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!