DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
6 members and 517 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Happiness Consultant

July 19, 2004, 09:53 AM

OK mechanics and equipment gurus here's a question

under hard braking....T1 and T5 at Summit Main, my brakes squeal like a piggy. (da da dum dum...dum dum..dum dum...da)

but on the street, where hard braking is a rarity my brakes seem fine.

how can u tell when u need to change out your pads? At Cornerspeed tech inspection, the inspector said I have the easiest pads to check. but when I look at them all I see is Tokico.

suggestions? comments(other then to tell me I'm a wanker of a mechanic), advice?

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#2)
boxing twins

July 20, 2004, 05:01 PM

If the pad is 50% used, it's almost time for them to be replaced. Some brake pads have a groove down the middle. The groove is 1/2 the pad material depth, so if you can't see the groove, the brake pad is due for replacement.

I don't know the Kawasaki ZX-6R calipers specifically. There should be spring loaded retaining pins or plates that hold the brake pads in place. The retainers also absorb some of the pad vibration under braking. Any vibration not absorbed is heard as a high pitched squeal.

You can also get a squeal if the brake pads are worn out and you're rubbing metal to the rotors. However, you'd hear squealing under any braking.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

July 27, 2004, 01:32 PM

Not to jack the thread, but I've developed a huge case of the squeals on my rear brakes recently too. I use the rear brake heavily, so I don't think its a matter of wearing the pads in. Also, only have 600 miles on the bike, so the pads aren't worn out. Any ideas on the cause and how to stop the ear-splitting noise?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to craigers