DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
5 members and 486 guests
2blueyam, Diggy, dubplaya, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 9, 2004, 03:59 PM

Hit up Gixx316 and have gotten some insight over on 600RR.net - figured might as well post it up here...

My brakes have started chattering recently (past 2 weeks). They chatter when braking hard (emergency practice) and when doing quick stops from anything 35mph and below.

Was wondering if this is normal??? It's kinda 50/50 on the 600RR board. Some dudes have the same, others don't.

Also - there's numerous clicking noises coming from both wheels at speeds over 15mph. Sounds like a playing card hitting spokes of a bicycle.

Anybody has any thoughts, appreciate.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#2)
old fat and slow

September 9, 2004, 07:11 PM

have you removed the spring clips that hold the pads to the cailper? if so that's what the noise probablly is ... the pads are now floating and hence the rattling sound. OR you could have a slightly warped rotor causing the pistons to be pushed back allowing play in the pads also causing the clicking sound. the chatter under braking , is it like a pulsing feeling or audible clicking? either one would have me leaning more towards the warped rotors..

come on you mechanic type people help a guy out and tell me if i'm off with my suggestions based on my little bit of experience in this subject. you can set up a runout guage to see if the rotors are warped or remove the calipers and spin the wheel and look closely at each side from the front to see if they look straight. hope it helps.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#3)
Addicted to farm animals

September 10, 2004, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam
have you removed the spring clips that hold the pads to the cailper? if so that's what the noise probablly is ... the pads are now floating and hence the rattling sound. OR you could have a slightly warped rotor causing the pistons to be pushed back allowing play in the pads also causing the clicking sound. the chatter under braking , is it like a pulsing feeling or audible clicking? either one would have me leaning more towards the warped rotors..

come on you mechanic type people help a guy out and tell me if i'm off with my suggestions based on my little bit of experience in this subject. you can set up a runout guage to see if the rotors are warped or remove the calipers and spin the wheel and look closely at each side from the front to see if they look straight. hope it helps.

Sounds like something to try. Also check the pads for stress cracks and proper installation. The clip will sometimes break or crack causing the noise. Just my .02

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#4)
DT
Yesssssss.....

September 13, 2004, 08:12 AM

Bam Bam and Trickn - thanks for the advice. I now have to find out what everything you told me to do actually means.

Took it into the shop, everything is ok - it's just a noise found on about 50% of all 04 600RR's. Some make it, some don't.

As for the chattering? I just have retard strength when it comes to braking... I'm supposed to be "smooth" not crush it.

04 600RR - SOLD

"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."
- General George Patton Jr
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DT Send a message via AIM to DT Send a message via MSN to DT Send a message via Skype™ to DT 
Unread
  (#5)
Cooked White Rabbit

September 23, 2004, 01:22 PM

I would quickly get the wheel off and look at the pads. I have a crazy experance here. Wore a set of pads out in about 1000 miles. Didn't think they could be worn out so fast I didn't check them even though I had warnings like your describe. When I did take them off there was nothing but steel there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT
Hit up Gixx316 and have gotten some insight over on 600RR.net - figured might as well post it up here...

My brakes have started chattering recently (past 2 weeks). They chatter when braking hard (emergency practice) and when doing quick stops from anything 35mph and below.

Was wondering if this is normal??? It's kinda 50/50 on the 600RR board. Some dudes have the same, others don't.

Also - there's numerous clicking noises coming from both wheels at speeds over 15mph. Sounds like a playing card hitting spokes of a bicycle.

Anybody has any thoughts, appreciate.

SV650r,rc51,fz1,1098
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to TylerDare  
Unread
  (#6)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
September 23, 2004, 01:59 PM

Yo DT, Try checkin your head bearingsfor the chatter and your chain for adjustment and lube on it. Both are simple but often forgotten causes of these symptoms. As for wearing out pads in 1k its possibleand has been done ,its rare far stock pads unless they are draggin for some reason .

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to