DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 537
3 members and 534 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Carefull with that Wrench...
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Carefull with that Wrench... - July 20, 2009, 08:51 PM

This afternoon started great, I got home early and shortly there after my new parts arrived!

JTSprockets 17F/44R and EK 530 O-Ring Chain. I am excited to get started, have not done this before.

The problem, and reason I have not been riding. Here is how it looked before, with the kinked link.

Front Sprocket opened up... full of crap! Yuck.

Just filled with grease, grime and dirt...

At least it is not the original sprocket, the previous owner went down 1 tooth from OEM, to a 16T.

New 17T JTSprocket

Compare, good time to install new, just a bit worn.

Rear wheel off! Yes. Never done that before, not too hard. Did not even bloody a knuckle. I never noticed the lines of the rear before, this bike actually has a nice profile...

OEM rear sprocket

My shiny new blingy 44T JTSprocket installed... and I did bloody a knuckle.

So I am feeling good. I have the new sprockets installed, the new chain is on the sprockets and all I need to do is re-assemble and wait for my new friends to come through with the chain tool. Figure I will get the bike as far as I can. So I put it all back together and SNAP. Huh? I did not even turn that with force, but now the bolt is spinning... what? On this pic, you can see the hydrolic clutch cover, which has 3 8mm bolts, the one located at about 2:00 is spinning. I slowly back the bolt out and on the threads I find metal shavings. I am able to pull those out of the threads and put the bolt back in. It holds but it spins in the hole. Now what?

I know to be carefull with bolts, I was not over wrenching it, I actually was only putting these on to just hold the cover and clutch, figuring I may have to disassemble to get the chain right. Oh well? Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Well, now just to get the chain done and I can ride again... and I am wondering if any effect on the bike going up on sprocket size will have on performance.

I wish I did not enjoy this. But I am quite fustrated with myself for stripping the bolt on the clutch cover...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

July 21, 2009, 01:03 AM

Depending on how many teéth u went up on the rear u might notice a difference. I doubt it will pull any harder being that It was down 1 in the front and u returned it to stock. Down 1 up front I believe is equivalent to up 3 in the rear

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#3)
MSF Student

July 21, 2009, 01:49 AM

You are going to have to use a tap set to re-cut the threads. I have one that might work for you if you want to borrow it. I am not at the house but when I get there. I will check and see what sizes I have. I should have something slightly larger than 8mm. If you want I can come over and give you a hand.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Bluezx9  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 21, 2009, 07:37 AM

Bluezx9 -- that would be awesome. I was about to go buy a helicoil kit, but have not used one. Seems pretty strait forward. If you have the right size and can come out, that would be even better.

Gixxer -- I have not counted yet, but I think I stayed the same on the rear. I was hoping to keep it stock gearing, but the previous owner had changed it. Will see.

Thanks!
Unread
  (#5)
Owner & Creator

July 21, 2009, 07:48 AM

Next time keep the rear wheel on the bike and loosen the nuts off the sprocket while on the bike

Makes it easier

Last edited by Carnage; July 21, 2009 at 07:50 AM..
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 21, 2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976mike View Post
Bluezx9 -- that would be awesome. I was about to go buy a helicoil kit, but have not used one. Seems pretty strait forward. If you have the right size and can come out, that would be even better.

Gixxer -- I have not counted yet, but I think I stayed the same on the rear. I was hoping to keep it stock gearing, but the previous owner had changed it. Will see.

Thanks!
If he taps it you will need to go to a larger bolt.
Helicoil's are very strong and will allow you to keep the current bolt you have.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

July 21, 2009, 08:10 AM

I believe I have a metric tap and die set that works.. and a chain tool as well.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
2 wheels for life

July 21, 2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Next time keep the rear wheel on the bike and loosen the nuts off the sprocket while on the bike

Makes it easier
sure it does! but the torque specs aren't too high

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

July 21, 2009, 09:12 AM

Tq specs on that lil 8 mm are going to be 6-8 lbs, which is nothing.

Since you're gearing #'s are back to stock you bike will feel a bit less peppy than before. Going down 1 T up front noticeable change. Hopefully the weight savings of your new rear sprocket will help to off set the change, damn that stock rear sprocket looks HEAVY!

Looks like you have some help coming your way with the bolt/thread issue so best of luck.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

July 21, 2009, 11:53 AM

Carnage said sprocket nuts, not the bolts in the clutch cover. Those have a much higher torque spec...

Good luck with the helicoil.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

July 22, 2009, 07:57 AM

UPDATE: Got the chain on, the only change is the +1 Front, so it is back to stock gearing. I took the bike out for a test ride and all is good, the feel is much better. Much smoother than before, which I can assume is the result of a good quality chain. I have noticed that the RPM's are down marginally at cruising speeds, which is good, and I feel no loss of power anywhere through the RPM's.

Now just to get that bolt fixed!

Thanks for all your help
Unread
  (#12)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 22, 2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976mike View Post
UPDATE: Got the chain on, the only change is the +1 Front, so it is back to stock gearing. I took the bike out for a test ride and all is good, the feel is much better. Much smoother than before, which I can assume is the result of a good quality chain. I have noticed that the RPM's are down marginally at cruising speeds, which is good, and I feel no loss of power anywhere through the RPM's.

Now just to get that bolt fixed!

Thanks for all your help
My bike had the gearing lowered when I bought it and was my first 1000 bike so I had little to compare it to. It was always very jerky. Went back to stock gearing and it is so much smoother. I would imagine the gearing has a lot to do with it. 1 lower in the front is like 3 up in the rear so it is a difference you will definitely feel.
I like it better this way because I can give it gas in the corners without feeling the rear is going to go on me so easy!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#13)
Say Jur Oh

July 22, 2009, 09:14 AM

You said you heard a pop. That's not typical for just stripped threads. Are you use you didn't crack the piece that the bolt turns in to? I think you said it's the clutch cover that the clutch slave cylinder bolts to?

A crack across the bolt hole would make it bigger, preventing the bolt from biting. If that's what happened, neither a re-tap nor helicoil is going to fix it. Inspect that clutch cover and make sure there isn't a hairline crack in it before you invest a bunch of time trying to recover that bolt hole.

Quote:
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou