DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 510
5 members and 505 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 17, 2004, 03:06 PM

My bike slips or looses power above 5000 rpm. I have all sorts of power in every gear up to 5000 rpm but after that the engine will surge and slowly accerate. It seems to happen when my bike is warm not cold. I have bled the clutch 3 times now and don't think there is any air in the lines. What should I look at next?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 19, 2004, 05:32 PM

This seems to be happening when the bike is warmed up to operating temp and not when cool. Once it warms up I experiance this at all speeds when I do anything other then slowly accelerate. If I jump on it it just seems to spin and slowly accelerate even though the engine wines higher as expected. Could this be a fluid problem? I have bled the clutch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 19, 2004, 05:43 PM

judging by your sig..are you sure you haven't roasted the plates?

Year and model would help...as would mileage

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 19, 2004, 05:59 PM

Sorry yeah I guess that would help. It's a 1990 Kawasaki ZX10, with about 18K. It sat for about 6 years and I got it running again 3 months ago. New plugs, all new fluids, carbs cleaned, etc.

I have been riding since the early 90s so I am not a noob. The sig is a joke in regards to my profile when I first joined the board saying "Im a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?" which I think is auto populated.

I tend to agree that it's the clutch but when the bike is cool it accelerates like a demon, plenty of power all the way up the rpm gauge, but once it warms up it starts to slip and loose power. Hence my thinking that it could be a fluid problem (Hydro clutch), but I could be out to lunch on this.
Thanks again for any suggestions.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 19, 2004, 06:11 PM

18k on a bike of that size and age would be my first inclination. You can remove them and look for blued steels or worn friction plates.
Clutches are not all too pricey and are easy to do.

Slipping at high RPMs is indicative to a worn clutch. That's when the bike starts meeting the most resistance..be it due to higher torque loads on the clutch from being in a higher gear or wind resistance.

Unread
  (#6)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 19, 2004, 06:14 PM

Yeah, that's what I figured. I put an order in with Bike Bandit tonight for a new clutch kit. I need to do it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 19, 2004, 06:21 PM

soak the fibers in oil the night before you do the install. For one, it makes them stick to the plates and they are easy to assemble. Two, they'll work right off the bat seeing as how they are designed to be wet.

Unread
  (#8)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 19, 2004, 08:14 PM

Thanks I will do that. You do mean engine oil right? This may be beating a dead horse but any idea why it would seem to do this only after the engine warms up and not when it's cold? Also is there any fluid in the transmission other then oil I should check?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 19, 2004, 08:19 PM

could be overheating because it's worn.

Soak it in motorcycle oil. There is no other tranmission fluid. Just the engine oil

Unread
  (#10)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 19, 2004, 11:10 PM

Ok last question I promise. I was reading my Clymer manual and after removing the friction plates it says to start removing things like the pushrod and bearing, Clutch boss, clutch nut, etc. Do I have to do all this or can I just stop at the friction plates since that seems to be what I need to change or do I have to pull the whole thing and inspect it?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 20, 2004, 01:51 AM

I used to own one, and changed the clutch twice (once because it was slipping, the second because the clutch basket broke) and its not very hard at all. just pay attention to the order things come apart and you will have no trouble getting it back together. once you have all the plates out, you dont need to remove anything else.. no need to go deeper than that.
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to car54  
Unread
  (#12)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 20, 2004, 11:48 AM

Every hear of a company called Alto. Do they make a good set of Clutch plates?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#13)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 27, 2004, 08:24 PM

I put the new clutch in today. Works great! Now it's on to the carbs. Thanks for all your help guys.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#14)
MSF Student

July 27, 2004, 09:44 PM

what kind of oil are you using? car oil? with friction modifiers? this will prematurely wear a clutch.

AKA Armadillo
Unread
  (#15)
Go Team Venture!!!

July 28, 2004, 02:32 PM

Well I changed the clutch out and while the bike was cool no problems. As the bike warmed up, I began to loose power. Soon I could not go up hill at all. The engine would rev but I would get no power to the back wheel so no go. I had to leave the bike in Herndon. I'm at a loss here. New plates, new oil 10W40 SJ, but same problem, engine/clutch slips as it warms up, no problem when cool. Any suggestions would be great.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!