DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 602
2 members and 600 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

January 15, 2006, 02:02 PM

ok well, i got a small crack thats a big problem.

history. 2005 CBR 600RR ,low side cracked engine cover on the left side and a dented radiator on the right side. i got the new cover and out it on, it leaked (but hardly any) and so i drained it, and put it back on cleaning it even more this time and using more of the RVT silicon gasket maker that was reccomended to me. i started it up and let it un for a bit and all was going well burned off all the oil on the headers so no more smoke. then we noticed a leak, very small like the first time right under the cover at the bottom bolt. looking at it we noticed that the bolt went though to the other side ( all the way though the engine cover, then into the block and out the other side), so you can see the tip of the bolt from the back. so we thought maube it leaking thought there, (even though we put gasket maker all around the edge of the block ( P.S. first time we put gasket maker on the cover, second time we put gasket maker on the block) . so we took that bolt out and filled it up with gasket maker and put the bolt back in. Not long after it was still leaking.

so from there we knew that wasnt the problem since even though it didnt have time for the gasket maker to cure it still would have stopped the leak or at least slowed it a bit. so we were lookin around and most of the block is pretty smooth, and we noticed this one little what looked like a scratch in the metal. sure enough thats there the leak is coming from.

i think its a crack in the block very small maybe a centemeter long and a hair thick. but it has droplets of oil on it. its definatly that, i still have to take the cover back off and check from the inside so see what it looks like from there.

My question is: what can i do to fix this? would JB Weld work, id have to put it on the inside and if i do since there is oil in there would it flake off and get into other parts of the engine, would the magnetic field be disrupted by it, can i even put it there? can i put it on the outside too, or do i have to buy another block.

also we had it running and it got to over 200degrees and the fan didnt come on, Problem? i think so, i have no idea where the thermostat is on this bike and maybe its electrical who knows, what temp does the fan normally kick in on?

any suggestions are greatly apperiated and if you live close by to northern VA i could use all the help i can get. thanks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to LEFTARMTAN  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

January 15, 2006, 06:35 PM

heres a pic but you cant see it its soo fine you have to see it in person and even then you wouldnt think its a crack till a second look
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/141....jpg&s=x12
Unread
  (#3)
Ballaugh Bridge

January 15, 2006, 07:00 PM

Clean the area really well with brake or carb cleaner. Then put a thin layer of gasket material or an epoxy over it. Let it dry completely before doing anything else and you will be fine.

The earliest most bike thermostats open is 180 deg. F. The fan probably won't turn on until about 220 deg. F.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

January 15, 2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Clean the area really well with brake or carb cleaner. Then put a thin layer of gasket material or an epoxy over it. Let it dry completely before doing anything else and you will be fine.

The earliest most bike thermostats open is 180 deg. F. The fan probably won't turn on until about 220 deg. F.
i would think that the gasket stuff woul just peel off inside there, its not very strong, and id hate to get it in my lines,
what kinda oil pressure is goin on inthere anyways?
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

January 15, 2006, 07:59 PM

Use a high-temperature, oil-resistant material. I would look for an epoxy rather than a silicone-based one.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Retired to most ...

January 15, 2006, 10:28 PM

Use acrillic epoxy glue. We used to use it on the oil rig all the time. It's oil proof and can with stand a lot more preasure and heat then a bike will ever produce!!! Pretty cheap from Lowes or something!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#7)
MSF Student

January 16, 2006, 10:19 AM

hmm accrilic epoxy glue eh? ill look into it thanks
Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

January 16, 2006, 09:15 PM

well heres my plan soo far:
im going to clean the inside really really well. then im going to take a dremel and lightly scratch at the area with the crack. then clean it again to ensure no metal shavings are present. then heat it up with a heat gun and apply some JB weld. let it cure and then repeat the process again ontop of the jb weld 2 layers ought to do it. im not going to bother doing the outside cuz if its dont right it will work and the outside shouldnt be neccesary.

any concerns comments, offers to help? ill take anything
Unread
  (#9)
MSF Student

January 20, 2006, 12:58 PM

tezasbusa05 helpin me out

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/1912551274.jpg&s=x12

thanks man