DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 417
1 members and 416 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
cut airbox
Unread
  (#1)
When in Rome...

cut airbox - March 2, 2006, 07:48 AM

I have a relatively new (to me) ducati supersport 750 and it arrived with a cut airbox. It also has two brothers carbon oval slip-ons. My questions are these - has anyone cut their airbox and run into trouble in the rain? Has anyone noticed a decrease in torque due to the cut box (I've heard of people saying torque went down and hp went up when they did this to their bike). Given that I've got the slip ons ad the cut box, do I need to go get that thing dyno tuned? I am really not all that interested in sqeezing another 2 or 3 hp out of the bike and would much rather have hassle free riding...so I was thinking about replacing the part with an OEM airbox if it is going to cause me too much trouble. Thoughts?

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

www.howtoavoidthebummerlife.com
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

March 2, 2006, 07:50 AM

I do know it's simple physics that when you shift you will lose pressure (torque) into the engine with a cut airbox, but will gain horsepower... at least that's the way it is in cars, doubt it's any different in a bike application.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; March 2, 2006 at 07:53 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Silence... I keeeel you

March 2, 2006, 08:12 AM

You’re not losing torque. You’re simply moving it up the rev range. So if you rode the bike all the time you wouldn't feel it where you used to feel it and think you "lost” it. Allowing more air into the engine wouldn't reduce torque.

The physics comes into play when people put intakes on their cars (or exhausts but this isn't about that). you're lengthening the intake so diameter of the pipe makes a big difference.

In this case the diameter of your intake system is not increasing...just the initial hole which was a bottleneck anyway.

It's probably not necessary to get it dyno tuned...but do keep in mind that ducati (like most manufacturers) run their bikes on the lean side for emissions purposes. When you make the intake and exhaust less restrictive you’re allowing more air but the bike isn’t adjusting for more fuel. Now you’re running even leaner. Is the SS injected or carbed? If injected just get a chip from either Fast by Ferraci or FIM. If carbed I would take it to a good shop to have the carbs adjusted.

Good luck mang.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:

Last edited by drnknmnky13; March 2, 2006 at 08:22 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
When in Rome...

March 2, 2006, 11:14 AM

it is injected...any more info on these chips?

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

Unread
  (#5)
Silence... I keeeel you

March 2, 2006, 12:26 PM

Fast by Ferracci (FBF) chips can be found here: http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.p...duct_list&c=23

The FIM chips (which I prefer due to the ability to reprogram) can be purchased at most speed shops. With the FIM you need to have it Dyno tuned. The advantage is you get a map custom tailored to YOUR bike. Not settings from bikes like yours. Of course with the FBF chip you're saving lots of dough and the mapping is pretty close. Good luck either way man. If you need any help let me know.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
Unread
  (#6)
Addicted to Cajen food...

March 2, 2006, 12:32 PM

How much does a Dyno run?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
When in Rome...

March 2, 2006, 01:00 PM

I checked the FBF chips and they don't seem to have one for the 750ss engine.

bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

Unread
  (#8)
Bug
Got my Permit

July 7, 2006, 11:14 PM

Cutting the airbox open without remapping will most likely run lean, and you would lose some torque and power. if you have FI, I would see if you can pick up a power commander, and then try some of the maps on the site, which suck. Then you might hit a ducati site like the DML looking for someone who might give you a dyno'd map for the same engine, and setup ie. slipons, cut airbox, 750. Otherwise spend some loot on a dyno'd map, or find an untouched stock airbox lid and close it back up. If you have carbs, talk with chris kelley at CA Cycleworks for jet kit.

If the air fuel hasn't been adjusted since the cut airbox, your bike is gonna hiccup and give you poor performance. Stock Ducatis tend to run lean and cutting the airbox make it worse.
Unread
  (#9)
Typical Stripper

July 8, 2006, 10:15 AM

Most modern fuel injected bikes have the airbox designed a particular way for a reason. If you fiddle with one thing, you must go through the entire fuel/air series with different parts, and electronic mapping. Cut boxes can create turbulance in the box, and can actually prevent air from entering smoothly.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to