DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 554
3 members and 551 guests
nootherids, superchickencornermonster, tuanogus
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
ECU swap 99 GSXR 750
Unread
  (#1)
TPG - screw face
 
Oneway's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,720
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Manassas
ECU swap 99 GSXR 750 - September 20, 2008, 05:54 PM

I know someone on here has the same bike as me or knows someone who has the same bike.


If anyone would be so kind to simply swap out ECU's for a 5 minute check, that would be awesome.

thanks
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ
 
LooseTooth's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,521
Join Date: October 24, 2006
Location: Falls Church
September 20, 2008, 06:12 PM

what the hell is your bike doing again? do you have a link to where you were describing it?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian
 
C2H5OH's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,047
Join Date: January 24, 2006
Location: Old Town Alexandria
September 20, 2008, 06:12 PM

Got a 97 750 with the 98 FI set up.I don't have jack going on tomorrow.


ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven


Last edited by C2H5OH; September 20, 2008 at 06:16 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Firebreathing VTwin
 
Dieder's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,112
Join Date: July 21, 2003
Location: Reno NV
September 20, 2008, 06:18 PM

Why are you swapping ECUs?


MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian
 
C2H5OH's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,047
Join Date: January 24, 2006
Location: Old Town Alexandria
September 20, 2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieder
Why are you swapping ECUs?
Because the CCT's,Voltage/Regulators,and ECU's are a joke on our bikes.The CCT was recalled.The engine itself is indestructible


ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face
 
Oneway's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,720
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Manassas
September 20, 2008, 06:41 PM

I think the 98 and 99 have the marjority of swappable parts...not sure if that includes the ECU. But I know I can't use anything Y2K.


it was suggested to me from Johnnyspeed954 (Devil Dawg Performance) that a quick swap be done to rule out that as a reason for what my bike is doing.

my bike idles fine
my bike rides fine through the lower end of the power band with small dead spots at the top of each gear shift (7-9k rpms) if held just right...you can keep it in a dead spot and it'll sound like a paint ball gun with no co2

once around 7-9k rpms (cruising 4th-5th gear), something causes the bike to act as if it's hitting the rev limiter...but obviously at 7-9k rpms...it's no where near red line. It cruises fine...but there is zero throttle response from 60mph and up. Takes me about a good 2-3 minutes to get to triple digits.

And there is nearly no reaction to throttle when pinned open while riding...IE top speed is a very sluggish 115mph. When pinned at idle (as Johnnyspeed954 did) the rpm needle won't reach double digits. It'll just bounce around (literally) from 7-9 or 10k rpm

Steps for the swap per Johnnyspeed:

take out both batteries

then un hook and swap the ECU

hook back up the battery

star bike see if problem is still there.

I know it needs a valve job, but before I dump $400+ I would like to check all the small things.

thanks.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Firebreathing VTwin
 
Dieder's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,112
Join Date: July 21, 2003
Location: Reno NV
September 20, 2008, 06:43 PM

I just saying that if you troubleshoot it properly its easier to do the electrical checks than just swapping parts and hoping that will fix it.

If you were including me in "our bikes" I'm very happy with my early Suzuki fuel injection. My bike, '97 TL1000S, had a recalled ECU but that because of drivability issues not reliability. I know the early FI 750s were twitchy but I'm not aware of any serious (non owner related) issues.

Back to the problem. What is your bike doing (or not doing) that would make you point to the ECU as the culprit?

With a good mulitmeter and a service manual you should be able to narrow it down without replacing any electrical parts that your not sure are bad.
Call me crazy but I actually like doing electrical troubleshooting. Going through school everyone told me the 3 week Suzuki electrical clinic was the hardest one at MMI.
I thought it was rather easy once you had the right tools and info its all pretty logical.


MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian
 
C2H5OH's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,047
Join Date: January 24, 2006
Location: Old Town Alexandria
September 20, 2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieder
I just saying that if you troubleshoot it properly its easier to do the electrical checks than just swapping parts and hoping that will fix it.

If you were including me in "our bikes" I'm very happy with my early Suzuki fuel injection. My bike, '97 TL1000S, had a recalled ECU but that because of drivability issues not reliability. I know the early FI 750s were twitchy but I'm not aware of any serious (non owner related) issues.

Back to the problem. What is your bike doing (or not doing) that would make you point to the ECU as the culprit?

With a good mulitmeter and a service manual you should be able to narrow it down without replacing any electrical parts that your not sure are bad.
Call me crazy but I actually like doing electrical troubleshooting. Going through school everyone told me the 3 week Suzuki electrical clinic was the hardest one at MMI.
I thought it was rather easy once you had the right tools and info its all pretty logical.
True.An ECU swap is a 5 minute deal though.Why not.


ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face
 
Oneway's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,720
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Manassas
September 20, 2008, 06:47 PM

i like wiring and electrical too...but this is all i ride year round...no bike...no job...no job...no check lol.

I have a Clymer and a multimeter and plenty of time...it's just the logical part once the wires get past white, red, black, and yellow lol.

plus the previous owner horribly wired some LED's into the bike...I know that's not the issue as the bike used to run perfect...but it was a quick backyard LED job.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ
 
LooseTooth's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,521
Join Date: October 24, 2006
Location: Falls Church
September 20, 2008, 06:48 PM

If you 'know' it needs a valve job, I guess you have to go that route. I guess I see what you are trying to do; make it rideable for now and go from there.

Do you know if Devil dawg did a fuel pressure test?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian
 
C2H5OH's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,047
Join Date: January 24, 2006
Location: Old Town Alexandria
September 20, 2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway
i like wiring and electrical too...but this is all i ride year round...no bike...no job...no job...no check lol.

I have a Clymer and a multimeter and plenty of time...it's just the logical part once the wires get past white, red, black, and yellow lol.

plus the previous owner horribly wired some LED's into the bike...I know that's not the issue as the bike used to run perfect...but it was a quick backyard LED job.
You and Dieder are crazy

How can anyone like electrical work is beyond me...I think that contributed to my alcoholism


ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
Retired to most ...
 
JohnnySpeed1KRR's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,646
Join Date: May 17, 2005
Location: NoVa
September 20, 2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseTooth
If you 'know' it needs a valve job, I guess you have to go that route. I guess I see what you are trying to do; make it rideable for now and go from there.

Do you know if Devil dawg did a fuel pressure test?
We did not but he did have it along with a complete fuel system flush (including injector cleaning) at another shop and it solved nothing. Leak down test and compression tests have been done as well at other shops.

It's a fuel delivery issue for sure but the bike acts like the ECU is taking a dump. A quick swap will either confirm this to be true or rule it out. Pretty easy and pretty much a zero cost to try it.


God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ
 
LooseTooth's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,521
Join Date: October 24, 2006
Location: Falls Church
September 20, 2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954
We did not but he did have it along with a complete fuel system flush (including injector cleaning) at another shop and it solved nothing. Leak down test and compression tests have been done as well at other shops.

It's a fuel delivery issue for sure but the bike acts like the ECU is taking a dump. A quick swap will either confirm this to be true or rule it out. Pretty easy and pretty much a zero cost to try it.
Well then there you have it!

It just sounds a lot like what my bike was doing recently, after I put the tank down on the line without fishing it in properly.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
Firebreathing VTwin
 
Dieder's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,112
Join Date: July 21, 2003
Location: Reno NV
September 20, 2008, 07:10 PM

I would check your TPS, check for the proper resistance and a smooth change as you open the throttle.

Your crank position sensor should be checked too.

I would also take a serious look at your ignition coils. There are several checks for each one.

I will have to dig up my notes to check the spec resistance.

Are you positive you have a ignition electrical problem? Have you checked your fuel delivery?

Not to say anything about Johnny's suggestion but I highly doubt that your have a problem with you ECU.

As with every electrical problem you need to be thorough and systematic. Follow the circuit and verify everything, don't assume that a wire, connector or component is good until you can prove it. Throwing parts and money at electrical problems is NOT the way to fit them either. Gotta figure out what went bad and as importantly why it went bad.

None of the checks are difficult the hardest part is just getting to the connectors. In fact if its just a component thats the easiest, if your wiring is suspect then thats when you have to do some digging.

If you want bring the bike over to my place I'll dust off the ole meter and check some specs.

Bring beer...

and Camel lights.


MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian
 
C2H5OH's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,047
Join Date: January 24, 2006
Location: Old Town Alexandria
September 20, 2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieder
I would check your TPS, check for the proper resistance and a smooth change as you open the throttle.

Your crank position sensor should be checked too.

I would also take a serious look at your ignition coils. There are several checks for each one.

I will have to dig up my notes to check the spec resistance.

Are you positive you have a ignition electrical problem? Have you checked your fuel delivery?

Not to say anything about Johnny's suggestion but I highly doubt that your have a problem with you ECU.

As with every electrical problem you need to be thorough and systematic. Follow the circuit and verify everything, don't assume that a wire, connector or component is good until you can prove it. Throwing parts and money at electrical problems is NOT the way to fit them either. Gotta figure out what went bad and as importantly why it went bad.

None of the checks are difficult the hardest part is just getting to the connectors. In fact if its just a component thats the easiest, if your wiring is suspect then thats when you have to do some digging.

If you want bring the bike over to my place I'll dust off the ole meter and check some specs.

Bring beer...

and Camel lights.
How good are you with vacuum hoses? I could use some help there.


ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.