DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 489
5 members and 484 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6, dubplaya, TNT
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Engine ticking - should I worry?
Unread
  (#1)
Pedal faster

Engine ticking - should I worry? - June 18, 2007, 09:17 AM

Newbie here w/a mechanical question -- I have an Ď06 Ninja 250 with about 900 miles that I bought last month.

I havenít ridden in several days and decide last night just to start the bike up for a minute. When I first start it (no choke), the engine sounds very sluggish, like itíll stall out any moment. I waited a moment, it sounds like itís about to stall, I open the choke a bit Ė it dies. Swell; now Iíve flooded the engine. Try starting a couple of times with no luck, so I decide to wait a few minutes.

10 minutes later, come out and try again. This time the bike starts right up and runs at normal idle (around 1k+). But now Iím hearing an intermittent ticking sound. Crap. I wait and listen Ė itís not steady at first, but then as the engine idles for about 30 seconds the ticking goes from intermittent to steady. I gently revved it a few times and donít hear the ticking at higher RPM, but the sound is there as soon as the bike idles again.

Iíve done some research and know that ticking could indicate a valve issue. I donít have maintenance records so I think Iím wise to assume that the 500 mi. service (and any necessary valve adjustment) has not been performed, and I was planning on taking the bike in for a complete once-over. Now Iím worried, though - should I toss her on a trailer and take her in asap? Or am I overreacting?

Thanks for your help!

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

June 18, 2007, 09:25 AM

The ticking is more than likely the slides in the carbs. In the 250, they tend to chatter a little bit. If your valves are ticking, it means your valve clearance is at the looser end of spec. That's not a bad thing so much.
If you are really concerned, ride it by the dealer and let one of the techs have a listen. 98 times out of 100, it's the riding hearing something that's normal.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Retired to most ...

June 18, 2007, 09:26 AM

At 900 miles I doubt you're having a valve issue but it's not something you should just disregaurd either.

I would suggest if you don't know how or are not comfortable wrenching your bike that you bring it in to a shop and have it fully checked over. Especially if you think that first service was not done. It could be something very small and easy to fix or it could be your warning of a much larger problem.

I work at Fast Lanes in Chantilly. Bring it down Tuesday through Saturday, ask for me and we'll take care of you.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#4)
Chupathingy?

June 18, 2007, 09:28 AM

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_128173/tm.htm
THATS JUST MY TWO CENTS. IM NO MECH BY FAR.

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#5)
whoa preppy......

June 18, 2007, 09:33 AM

http://www.ninja250.info/maintenance...ain/valves.htm

here's a link with some good info if you want to learn more.

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

June 18, 2007, 09:34 AM

I'd say its 99% likely its not a problem. If you are a newbie, you probably just haven't grown accustomed to the little sounds a sportbike makes. Over time, you start hearing a tick here a tick there... its nothing to worry about. I was concerned about the exact same thing with my first bike.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)
Pedal faster

June 18, 2007, 10:00 AM

Thanks so much for the advice and the links - this is really helpful.

The FAQ section on ninja250.org is really comprehsenive and has been become my bible... that's what led me to think that 1) it might be a valve issue and 2) if I'm not 100% sure about the 500 mi. service, I'd better have the bike looked at to be safe, anyway.

I'll take it out in the next night or two for a short ride and see how things sound/feel. I'm still definitely in the "new rider getting adjusted to new bike" category, so this could be something normal.

Hey, at least I know I'm clueless.

2009 Ninja 650
2006 Ninja 250 - sold
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

June 18, 2007, 10:22 AM

Im still waiting for you to show up at the spot with it girlie. You know you can't just ride in the daytime forever. JK. Take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#9)
maybe

June 18, 2007, 11:46 AM

This brings back memories of the 1st time I went to check out a Ducati.

Anyone who has one knows what I mean. - Dry Clutch.
That's obviously not the issue here - good luck with it, i am sure these guys will take care of you.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to LimeyWop  
Unread
  (#10)
Agitator

June 18, 2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Engine ticking - should I worry?

depends...did it come with a video of bin laden?

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#11)
I just peed a little

June 18, 2007, 01:09 PM

Swing by the shop de Boomboom. We'll look it over. PM sent.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey