DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
8 members and 547 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CCS762ZX6, legendindisguise, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Speed3, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

June 5, 2004, 04:03 PM

Iíve been wrenching on bikes for a few years and feel as though Iíve gotten a pretty good grasp of what I was doing. Slowly, I started to build up my confidence/tools and can now do all the routine maintenance, (with the exception of the valves) diagnose problems, and even a few other tricks. I was already pretty knowledgeable about cars and had a good assortment of tools so I didnít have to start from scratch. However, sometimes you donít have the right tool (especially motorcycle specific ones) and it takes time to build up your box. As a result Iíve got funky spanners, stands, hex sockets and wrenches, crazy metric sizes from 1mm to 34mm, torque wrenches out the yang, chain tools etcÖYou normally donít have some of these tools until you need one and itís a great feeling knowing that you can just go to the drawer and get it.

My question is: What MOTORCYLE SPECIFIC TOOLS do you seem to keep reaching for and couldn't live without?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
boxing twins

June 5, 2004, 07:19 PM

- the proper size socket for the axle I need to remove (thankfully, Sears is nearby)
- torque wrench (after I have said socket)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#3)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 5, 2004, 09:04 PM

Not really motorcycle specific, but one of the best, most useful tools I've bought is an electric impact wrench. An impact wrench is essential for disassembling forks. Ever try to rebuild forks without one??
It's also really handy for taking off/putting on the sprocket nut on my SV.
Air tools are cool, but being electric I don't need a compressor and I can use it almost anywhere.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

June 5, 2004, 09:09 PM

A hammer to slap the bike around if it doesn't co-operate

But on a serious note.... i think that socket wrench extensions really help when trying to get to that bolt that your big ol hand cant squeeze itself to. It would suck having to live without them.

Douglas
R.I.P.-1995 F3
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FlyinBy  
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 6, 2004, 07:04 PM

I hear you on that impact wrench Travis! Luckily a friend had one when I changed the sprockets on the SV for the first time.

That reminds me, I went looking for an impact driver the other day (not an impact wrench, but an old style impact driver tool (hit it with a hammer and it loosens tough bolts). Figured I'd go to Loew's and look for one. After looking for one for a few minutes without any luck, I tracked down a Loews tool guy and asked. He took me to impact wrenches! Told him again, that I wasn't looking for an impact wrench, I was looking for an impact driver. That didn't help, so I described it to him. "Oh, no, we don't have those." I thought to myself, "I'm in the 'Tools' section of a hardware store, and they don't have an impact driver?" I thought, hell Sears would have one, but that's across town, so I hit Home Depot. Hmmm. Same deal at Home Depot! Except at Home Depot, I described it to the guy, and he still didn't know what I was talking about. Luckily the 2 customers standing with him understood (reaffirming that I wasn't crazy). Both said "Sears"!

Found one at Sears. Managed to forget how to use one, and stripped the hell out of the screw I couldn't get out with a regular screw driver. Oh well, good thing I picked up a screw extractor set while I was at sears.

I have multiple torque wrenches here as well (since I don't have SteveZX9's calibrated elbow ) and a couple of breaker bars. T-Handle allen wrenches are quite a time saver over my old L-shaped set.

Travis, what kind of electric impact wrench do you have? I have a buddy that has a battery powered one that he raves about for use at the track (go-kart track that is). Doubt something battery powered would have the juice to do that front sprocket nut. Is yours corded?

(Sorry Travis, not motorcycle specific either!)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#6)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 6, 2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy
Travis, what kind of electric impact wrench do you have? I have a buddy that has a battery powered one that he raves about for use at the track (go-kart track that is). Doubt something battery powered would have the juice to do that front sprocket nut. Is yours corded?
Mines corded. It's a Dewalt DW290 1/2" that I got at Lowes for $165 a couple years ago. Good for 240 foot-pounds of torque and 2,700 impacts per minute.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship