DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 515
4 members and 511 guests
Nobrains, Sal_the_man, scarab, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
f4i, weird vibration
Unread
  (#1)
I'm fierce, like that...

f4i, weird vibration - July 24, 2009, 08:12 AM

Hi all,

So I was @ another forum and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. Sorry for a long post, but here's what's been said:

posts from a diff. thread
so my bike has recently been repaired and i noticed that there has been a weird vibration coming from the back of the bike during high speeds. that is, when i was riding it home, around 70+ i noticed a vibration on my butt. it has since been felt around 50 and 30 mph. at times, it seems fine and i don't feel anything. i also let a friend of mine ride it and he says that it's possibly the CCT, but he's not completely sure since a CCT problem would be persistent and this is not.

any suggestions on what it may be. if i also notice anything else, i'll update it.

------------------------------------------------

id put the bike on a rear stand, start the engine, put it in gear, and spin it up in 3rd or so. if the vibration is coming from the rear wheel or drivetrain, u should feel it right away. and dont worry, this isnt dangerous. pay attention to the stand and such, but should your bike fall off the stand, the engine will just die.

most probable causes are:
improperly mounted rear tire and/or terribly out of round or out of balance
bent/worn rear sprocket
severely kinked chain
bent rear rotor
something heavy in the tire
im sure theres more, but thats a start.

-------------------------------------------

might be out of balance? chain & sprockets were just replaced, but they were also used so that's also possible?

-------------------------------------------

I am his friend and i feel the vibration and is the one that thinks its the cctl problem. The vibration is not speed related but rpm related. I was riding at around 70 mph in 3rd and started to feel the vibration, dropped it to 4th still going 70 mph vibration went away. However, i kicked it back into 3rd still going 70 mph, vibration gone. I slowed down to 50mph, went back up to 70...vibration came back. Also, once i feel the vibration, i pull the clutch in, vibration stops. And when i mean vibration, its not liek a car's wheel out of balance, its more of a massage tingling feeling that you get with the cct. However, i never felt in on my ass before (no homo), but on my crotch where the tank is. I know that he has a cct problem but can't know how bad it is cause the exhaust is decently loud. I check his chain and slack is good, sprockets are ok. But i'm 95% sure that it is rpm related which only leads me to think of the cct

-------------------------------------------------

im pretty sure a bad CCT wont cause a vibration, just a very annoying ticking noise. also, the CCT noise is usually drowned out by the engine and wind noise when moving. if u cant hear the CCT rattle around 4500rpm w/ the bike at a stand-still, this isnt a CCT problem.

all bikes vibrate a tick more w/ the clutch engaged (lever out) and u can feel the difference even when idling. theres also a slight difference in the sound the engine makes... and Honda's are damn noisy. but theres really nothing to worry about w/ this clutch noise unless u run into problems shifting and such.

you could potentially be feeling more vibration because the rubber tank feet are missing. w/ the tank resting metal to metal, ud feel a ton more vibration in your balls than normal. this would def cause u to feel more vibration on this bike compared to others. if the tank was recently removed, this could be the problem.

-----------------------------------------

so, i rode it yesterday paying attention to the vibration. i felt it on my right foot @ around 6k rpm now. maybe i need someone more experienced to actually check out what it is. also, the tank was removed to clean out the airbox (but didn't need cleaning) however, the rubber parts are on there.

this morning, while i was riding to work, i felt my front end, perhaps my brakes also starting to act up, but it could just be a mental thing since i'm trying to pay more attention to things...

--
GP
2001 CBR600F4i

-=[ Every man dies. Not every man really lives ]=-

-=( Be who you are and say what you feel, for those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind )=-
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to xxgpxx  
Unread
  (#2)
Has an idiot exemption

July 24, 2009, 08:14 AM

What repairs did you have done?
If it didn't vibrate before the repairs I'd double check the repaired areas.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm fierce, like that...

July 24, 2009, 08:20 AM

repairs:
replaced forks, front stay, front wheel, chain, sprockets, hub (pretty sure he did it). those were the big jobs. everything seems to be in working order. even checked my tire pressure as another friend suggested that that could be the cause, but when i checked 2 days ago, it was 40F, 41R. so, i just think it's weird that the vibration would be coming from around the rear part of the bike instead of the front...but i'm not very familiar with repairs so that's just my observation

--
GP
2001 CBR600F4i

-=( Be who you are and say what you feel, for those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind )=-
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

July 24, 2009, 08:28 AM

take the phone out of your back pocket and turn off vibrate.
Unread
  (#5)
I'm fierce, like that...

July 24, 2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600cbr View Post
take the phone out of your back pocket and turn off vibrate.
i lol'd

--
GP
2001 CBR600F4i

Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face

July 24, 2009, 09:19 AM

agreed with the rubber tank feet

failboat for whoever mentioned the cct

are you missing the balance weights on the rims? Perhaps ur tires were balanced wrong...or need balancing.

on the very very far end of the oh shit scale - you could have the beginnings of a spun bearring or connector rods issues...since ur friend mentioned that he feels in around his crotch
Unread
  (#7)
Banned

July 24, 2009, 02:58 PM

it actually could be the cct. my f4i vibrates and buzzes something fierce from like 5500 to 6k, and then also from like 9k-12k. its more of an annoyance then something to worry about. learn 2 live with it, or buy a manual tensioner.
Unread
  (#8)
Mojito Anyone?

July 24, 2009, 03:35 PM

vibrator?

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn