DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 415
1 members and 414 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Super Moderator

August 19, 2005, 10:29 PM

Catagories:How often do you all change your oil and filter?

People who ride just the street?
People who's bikes are doing double duty (Trackdays/Racing and street)
And people who just do track days/race??

What oil and filter do you use?

I use the Purolator PureONE filters and I am about to use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. I remember Shooom posted up a article that rated them the best of the rest...

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

August 19, 2005, 10:38 PM

I usually change my oil every 2K miles, unless I'm going to a track day, then I change it just before the track day... I've used Honda's performance oil, and Motul, can't remember what weight though... OEM oil filter...

hey... DO oil filters make that much of a difference???

WHERE'S WOODY??? He should know!

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#3)
Super Moderator

August 19, 2005, 10:45 PM

There was an article that was published that Purolator made the best filter. It filtered out the most contaminants than any OEM, Fram or any other filter. This guy tested EVERYTHING!!! And with oil, he tested viscosity breakdown and everything..Do you change it before EVERY track day? How often do you go to the track?

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

August 19, 2005, 11:11 PM

Well, since I broke my leg, not so much... So it pretty much stays at every 2K miles... I'm gong to Barber at the end of October, though (can't wait)... and I'm TRYIN to get to one sometime in September...

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#5)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

August 20, 2005, 09:11 AM

I change mine every 3000 k and if I am doing a track day in between those 3000 k I make sure to change before track day.

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 20, 2005, 05:13 PM

the best thing to do is follow the bikes handbook
if this is a new bike you want to keep using the oem parts and oil. if anything goes wrong with the oem filter the company will fix it under warranty but if say u use a different filter and for some reason your bike takes a beating out of it the factory will not honor the warranty.
I personally have tried several oil filters. the fram which is ok and a k/n filter which just came out a few weeks ago. there ok and I havent had any priblems but i the back of my mind I always have this weird feeling somethings wrong.
The oil is a different story, I have seen some of the top oils tested first hand at sport rider mag shootout in ca. there is a difference in oil performance and viscosity.
mobil 1 was the best but there are issues on its composite materials which cause the clutch plates to slip in the begining. the reason for this was that clutch plates need very high viscosity in the beginning. then it levels out. many of the motorcycle specific oils have this feature based in their oil formulas. The mobil 1 oil does slip in the first few miles 50-100 miles but then slowly retains the needed viscosity breakdown that most bikes need. the clutch starts to grip a bit better and works fine after the oil is "broken in".
I personally used the mobil 1 oil and it did slip a little in the begining but I didnt have any problems afterwards. later after 3000 miles I changed the oil and weighted and measured the viscosity of the oil which was about at .0007123 grmsa. which equates to about 32% loss of viscosity. most oils lose anywhere from 40 to 70 viscosity at 3000 miles.
the other oil that tested good was the castrol syntec oil. this oil is specificlly made for hondas for some reason. It test best in the honda 600 but tested soso in the yamaha 600. read the issue online at sportrider.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Got my Permit

August 30, 2005, 02:32 PM

Purolator and K&N are the best oil filters. I generally prefer AMSOIL synthetic (it's local and you can get it at Fairfax auto) for oil. www.bobistheoilguy.com is a great site for these kinds of oil questions.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Boomie  
Unread
  (#8)
Too Fat To Be Fast

August 30, 2005, 03:19 PM

K&N filter because it's too easy to safty wire.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

August 30, 2005, 03:36 PM

Track/Race

Oil every after every trackday

Filter and oil after the 2nd trackday

Oil and filter before and after every race weekend.

Castrol Full Synthetic OEM filter (Yamaha)

Street

Oil and filter every 3000 miles.

Yamalube OEM filter

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

August 30, 2005, 04:49 PM

You guys that are changing your oil after every track day are just pissing money down the drain and over loading the used oil recycling business at the same time. If you use a good oil, synthetic or coventional, you will not be breaking the oil down that significantly after some track time so as to warrant the replacement of the oil. Especially if you are using synthetic.

Everyday driving is actually harsher on engine oil life than is a solid track day. If you are paranoid about debris or whatever than change the filter. Otherwise you are throwing money down the drain.

Run a good synthetic (amsoil or Mobil 1 Red cap is good) and a good filter. OEM, K&N. Anything but FRAM is good and you should be fine.

Spending money on nearly 10 per quart Motorcycle synthetic is also a complete rip-off but that is another topic to be covered.
Unread
  (#11)
Got Any Gwapes?

August 30, 2005, 04:51 PM

I ride so much and I'm on the track often I use the Rule of Thumb:

If I'm wondering whether or not to change my oil...then it's time to...

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

September 7, 2005, 04:41 PM

1000 to 1500 miles with syn but I think i'm going to switch back to regular cause I think I leak a little oil with the syn.

04 gsxr 600 6k miles.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

September 7, 2005, 04:54 PM

I ususally change it every 1500-2000 miles with full synthetic. Usually it still looks pretty clear as it drains, but recently when I changed my Ducati oil at this interval it was quite dark. I think Duc's are harder on oil.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

September 7, 2005, 04:57 PM

every 3K with oil and 4k with synthetic. new oil filter with every oil change.
if your good to your bike it will last.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#15)
where the good spotz at ?

September 7, 2005, 05:12 PM

every 2500 miles........with every bike i have owned
only use OEM Suzuki filters......

DBR 4 Life
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kidcycle Send a message via AIM to kidcycle