DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 482
5 members and 477 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 12, 2003, 06:36 PM

Crusing around my neighborhood, I came acrossed a VERY sandy section in the middle of a left hand turn. The bike slid out from under me into the curb. I am doing the repair myself along with some customizing but I am concerned about the front wheel. It was the only thing which actually hit the curb. I was only going about 10 miles per hour give it was from a stop.

With the handle bars straight the front wheel has about a 5 degree misalignment from being straight. The front right (faceing the bike from the front) is turned towards the right and the back left towards the left. It still fits inside the front fender without rubbing. While riding it is only slightly noticible but I do want to get it fixed.

Any ideas on the problem? Do it myself job or professional job? Estimate on cost? Also, does anyone know of a good honest repair shop around the DC metro area?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
FREE YOUR MIND!

Check out the website on the progress of the repair.
http://www.freewebs.com/xravenx/motorcycle.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

June 13, 2003, 12:18 PM

I low sided my R1 last year. When I'm riding sometimes I look down and it looks like my bars are a little off. I may take my bike to Computrack in Fredericksburg sometime this summer.
They will measure the entire bike in a Jig for $150 and tell you what's bend.
They told me if the triple trees were bend it would be about $300 for new ones. If the fork tubes are bend, they can straighten them at $75 each. If the frame is bent, it would be like $700.

Check out Gmdcomputrack.com

02 R1
99 FZR
Nesba #259
Unread
  (#3)
Has an idiot exemption

June 13, 2003, 05:36 PM

It's very possible that your forks just twisted a bit in the triple clamps.
I just helped fix a bike with a similar problem (low speed fall) so if you need a hand let me know.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

June 13, 2003, 10:58 PM

If your triple clamps are not super-tight, you can pull up to a tree or other large immovable object, and turn the bars to hit the wheel against the object and put it back in alignment.

This is like what you may have done with your BMX bike back in the day after you crashed your shit.

-Ward
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

June 15, 2003, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Also, does anyone know of a good honest repair shop around the DC metro area?
I can help you out here, go to Extreme Powersports in Fredericksburg, VA and talk to Scott Barber. Tell him Raj sent you. He'll give it to you straight w/o throwing in bullshit fees and charges.

rajmeister

97 GSX-R600
Check it out HERE
[img=265x168] http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6sewk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/DCSBN_sig.jpg[/img]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rajmeister Send a message via MSN to rajmeister  
Unread
  (#6)
Signed up for Track Days!

July 9, 2003, 11:09 AM

Sorry for the late response, but this happened to me about a month ago and TricknR1 helped me out. You can actually do the alignment yourself, but you will need to hoist the front end off of the ground (if you have a place to do that). If you still need help answering how to do it yourself just let me know. I learned a great deal from Trick!!!

MIKE - '99 Blue R6
Learn more about me @ www.funyoungcouple.com

"That's what I said, 'Boobie Traps'" - Data - The Goonies
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MrHyd Send a message via AIM to MrHyd Send a message via MSN to MrHyd