DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 508
6 members and 502 guests
2blueyam, Diggy, dubplaya, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

December 3, 2004, 03:19 PM

I'm trying to track down a fuel leak. When the bike is off, should fuel be able to flow through the fuel pump or should it be held up from going into the carbs till power is supplied?

I was away for a week and came back to find fuel on my floor and the tank empty. All the lines seem to be ok and I am replacing the float vales, jet neddles and gaskets, but don't think that will solve the leak. I am under the impression that when the bike is not running no fuel will go through the pump. I understand that the fuel that is already in the carbs can leak if there is a problem with any of the above, but what is in the tank should not leak out due to problems with the carbs. Any suggestions?
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

December 3, 2004, 03:29 PM

I don't know what kind of bike you're talking about, but the fuel pump on my carburated bike is there to assist gravity in filling the float bowls and should not prevent fuel from flowing to the carbs.

If the tank is totally empty, I would look at the petcock\tank area as if it was a leak in the rest of the system it wouldn't drain past the reserve.

Otherwise places to look would be to check how well the fuel lines seal onto the endpoints, I would check the float bowl gaskets, and I would make sure that none of the needles give resistance returning to the closed position.

If all else fails, you can try refilling the tank and watch for leaks...

Good Luck
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

December 3, 2004, 04:15 PM

Its a 1990 Kawasaki ZX10.

I already checked the petcock so I don't think thats it, but I do need to replace it. I got new float bowl gaskets today and will put them on tomorrow, then I am going to hang the carbs under the tank on a shelf and see where the leak is coming from. I did that last night but was unable to find a leak from that combination. Based on where the fuel residue evidance (sorry been watching too many of those forensic evidance shows) I am leaning towards the fuel pump. But not sure what specificly.
Jedi

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#4)
Has an idiot exemption

December 3, 2004, 09:23 PM

My guess would be carb float stuck.
Even if the petcock was stuck open the floats should shut off the fuel.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
  Send a message via AIM to