DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 463
5 members and 458 guests
2blueyam, Diggy, dubplaya, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

July 26, 2003, 01:30 PM

Anyone use these? I am ordering a set for my manly SV but wanted people's take on them. I figure anything would be an improvement over the stock lines/pads and the price is not bad for these. Or would you recommend another brand?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.ph...no=12-GALF-162

Quote:
All Galfer Brake Line kits are made with Dupont Teflon Steel braided cable. There are 16 braided lines of steel around the inner section, making the line expansion close to zero under all conditions.

Galfer hose meets or exceeds the following tests and requirements: SAEJ 1401, UNE 26-399-89, ISO 3996. Temperature range : -67/ +464(f). Braking power, Galfer lines will require less pressure at the brake lever to stop the bike, allowing the rider to use less force and stop faster.

All Brake lines are coated the entire length of the line to protect the bike from scratches and the brake fluid from humidity.

All Galfer pre-made brake line kits include all the necessary banjo bolts and washers.

These complete Kits include a front or rear line kit and a set of Galfer BLACK COMPOUND brake pads to match. Galfer HH compound pads are available in another kit.

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

July 26, 2003, 04:54 PM

I just put the those lines on my bike for the front. I got the superbike kit which is one line per caliper coming from the fluid resivour. The feel is much firmer than stock. I opted not to get the pads because my bike is so new. They also look really good too. You have a choice of many colors for the plastic coating on the outside. I got clear. Got them from revlimiterracing.com

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

July 26, 2003, 05:03 PM

I have two front lines, so I'm guessing that means two lines for me too? Did you get the HH pads or standard pads? Is it worth getting the HH. I'm getting the smoke lines but thinking of switching to clear.

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

July 26, 2003, 05:06 PM

Wow, revlimiterracing.com is much cheaper than kneedraggers. Kneedraggers abort, abort!

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

July 26, 2003, 05:13 PM

yeah one line per caliper. the short one, at least on my bike went on the right. i kept the stock pads on my bike. i have roughly 2k miles and decided just to get the lines. just a note but the first time i went out riding with them on was at TWT this past Tuesday and you might want to do some short riding to get everything set. it felt like my bike wasnt stoping as fast as it usually did. I went out Friday for about 60 miles and they worked great.

Katie 135
Unread
  (#6)
Fuzz Runna

July 27, 2003, 04:36 AM

so Brooks..what was your total cost??

Sometimes in order to live, you must first be willing to die....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to ND4SPD Send a message via AIM to ND4SPD  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 27, 2003, 08:56 AM

Quote:
so Brooks..what was your total cost??
$84.98 plus shipping. heres the link to where i got them from http://www.revlimiterracing.com/brak...fersuzuki.html

Katie 135
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

July 29, 2003, 09:20 PM

I just checked out the Galfer kit on revlimiterracing.com and parts411.com (which is cheaper by $5). The question is that these are stainless steel kit whereas kneedraggers has the braided kit - which one is better and why? I didn't see a braided kit on either of the other sites. And while I'm at it, is it worth paying more for the HH pads?

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 29, 2003, 10:08 PM

mine are braided stainless steel too. I dont think they would make hard SS lines for bikes since they need to be able to move around. as far as the pads go theres gotta be someone on here that races and does track days that could help out. Brandon ND4SPD just changed his brake pads, maybe he would know.

Katie 135
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption

August 1, 2003, 09:57 AM

The braiding is just on the outside for burst strength. The inner is a teflon hose. Mine use a Kevlar sheath. Doesn't really matter as they perform the same.
The advantage of the 2 line set is to get rid of spots where bubbles could be trapped...hence better feel.
HTH

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Realtor in VA

August 11, 2003, 04:23 PM

I worked for Goodridge. Ask any questions you want.

Braded SS lines are awsome for any bike. My Suzuki brake pads sucked even when new. I replace them after I put lines on (which I do with every bike, cause it's the best and cheapest performance mod you can do, increases safty also) Now my bikes brakes are what GSXR brakes are supposed to be.

I'm a Realtor Licensed In DC and VA
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

August 11, 2003, 08:04 PM

I'm pretty much convinced that the braided lines are the way to go. I guess my primary concern is to go with the Galfer kit or another. And also, what are the pros and cons of going with the HH pads vs. HB?

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Unread
  (#13)
Too Fat To Be Fast

August 12, 2003, 12:07 PM

Kal,

I'm using HH pads for regular everyday use and I'm having no regrets. I went with Goodridge Kevlar lines as well (race setup as mentioned above). I'd definitely get both the lines and pads.

One of the nice things about the TLS is that I could also move up to the larger 6-piston calipers and master cylinder of the TLR.

There's an idea... You could also find a larger master cylinder from a TLR or GSXR. If you can verify what is stamped on the underside of the SVís master cylinder I can tell you if they are bigger or not (I'd guess that they are). It maybe a big Ď14í or Ď5/8í or something like that.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#14)
I'm a Realtor in VA

August 13, 2003, 04:22 PM

Demon:

I know about the Goodridge kits. Goodridge is the largest Mfgr of braided kits for bikes in the US. I really respect the product, so much so that even though I donít work there any more Iím still happy and eager to plug their products. The Kevlar is cool because it is so light. The SS braded lines with steel fittings and bolts will last the lifetime of your bike. If by some odd chance something is wrong with the lines, they are warranted forever. The customer service guys at Goodridge will bend over backwards for you.

Iíve got SS braded lines with clear coat over the braid to protect the paint. Any major dealer will be able to help you order the correct kit. Take a look at the little picture showing you how to mount the kit on your bike, I did that.

I'm a Realtor Licensed In DC and VA
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#15)
old fat and slow

August 13, 2003, 04:45 PM

I have the goodrich kevlar lines on the busa and the spegler ss lines on the gsxr. I like them both equally well. You can change pads if you want to but when you do make sure that you clean the rotors really good before you put on the new pads. Different kinds of pads leave a residue on the rotors that needs to be cleaned to help seat the new pads. What kind (brand) of pads are they offering with the kit? Chances are that your stock pads are hh rated. I recently learned that hh is the rating not the compound and the compound is the important part. gsxr stock pads are hh rated and suck where as ebc hh's are pretty good. My next set which, will be pretty soon on the gsxr, will either be performance friction 99's or 95's or vesrah race pads .

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam