DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
3 members and 556 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, onel0wcubn
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

January 1, 2003, 07:21 PM

Saw this item on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1875788179

Anybody ever use these things and do they really work?

Kal

'05 GSX-R 750
'01 SV650S
Full D&D, Dynojet Stage I kit:
Shimmed needles, 150 mains, 17.5 pilots, 2.5 turns
De-snorkelled & de-fendered
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

January 1, 2003, 08:32 PM

I need one of these things. I've heard they work. I was sitting at a light waiting to make a left for 5 minutes. Finally, just went right and made a U-turn.

This one is $8:
http://www.katstore.com/product.asp?0=234&1=273&3=177

Brad
-- I've got one word for you... brain damage.
http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/ht...icons/tard.gif
Kat 600
Chevy Chase, MD
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BAMMER  
Unread
  (#3)
noise

January 1, 2003, 09:52 PM

I've heard they work, too. Dang totally forgot about this. Hmmm....$8, huh?

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

April 16, 2003, 11:57 PM

Oh yeah!!! They definitely do work!!! I have one on my Ninja ZX-6 and lights I used to wait at for a long time until a car came to the intersection or I would run, now turn green and I no longer have to wait. But make sure you mount it near the front tire as close to the ground as possible. The magnetic field in it will turn the sensors on and let the lights know to change to green. And when you come to an intersection and you don't have one, look for the square outlined in the road before the line. Those are the light change sensors. If you stay near the center of it, the weight of the bike will sometimes be enough to change the light. If it is split down the middle as well, the sensor to turn the lights is more sensitive in the middle split. My neighbor works on the lights and installs the sensors in Vienna and he told me about the sensors. I hope this helps.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DJMiniMe Send a message via AIM to DJMiniMe  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

April 17, 2003, 12:16 AM

Quote:
If you stay near the center of it, the weight of the bike will sometimes be enough to change the light. ... My neighbor works on the lights and installs the sensors in Vienna and he told me about the sensors. I hope this helps.
Did your neighbor tell you the sensors were weight sensitive, or did you come to that conclusion?

-Ward
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 17, 2003, 12:23 AM

go to your local farm shop and buy a cow magnet for $0.75. thats exactlyt he same as what this guy is selling for $13.00

Matt
02 DRZ400
00 SV650s
08 Vino 125
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to car54  
Unread
  (#7)
Banned

April 17, 2003, 03:42 AM

local farm shop? o yeah, rights next to the giant and blockbuster
ahahahah
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to pip666  
Unread
  (#8)
boxing twins

April 17, 2003, 09:13 AM

Most traffic light sensors are a not based on the weight of a vehicle. Most are inductive coils. Here's the physics. A loop of metal is buried in the road (under the square patch). Electric current is applied to the loop and a magnetic field is created. A ferrite (iron) object passing thru the magnetic field disturbs the magnetic field, and hence the current passing thru the loop. The traffic signal (the big yellow box on the side of the road) detects the loop's current change as a vehicle.

A significant percentage of a sportbike's weight is not iron or steel. The frames, swingarm, and wheels are aluminum or alloys. The bodywork is plastic. The engine block could be steel, but is more likely aluminum or an alloy, with steel cylinder sleeves or NIKASIL plated cylinders. As far as weighty objects go, that leaves the crankshaft, camshafts, and (stock) exhaust system being steel. Replace the exhaust system with aftermarket, and you've likely removed 30 lbs of steel.

If you come across a sensored traffic signal that does not change with your presence, you can turn on red after confirming it is safe to do so. Most state laws have a statement along the lines of "wanton disregard for safety or the law" or "careless inattention." I highly recommend waiting at least one full light cycle before turning on red. That gives you enough time to scan for police, and give you a valid argument in court.

Take note of the signal and contact the city to adjust the loop sensitivity for that light.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#9)
Groundhogs can play dead

April 17, 2003, 09:35 AM

Quote:
If you come across a sensored traffic signal that does not change with your presence, you can turn on red after confirming it is safe to do so. Most state laws have a statement along the lines of "wanton disregard for safety or the law" or "careless inattention." I highly recommend waiting at least one full light cycle before turning on red. That gives you enough time to scan for police, and give you a valid argument in court.
Just don't try this is Fairfax County!!! I don't think they'd go for this! You may just have to go to the next light and pull a Uturn. Definitely cheaper than a ticket!!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 17, 2003, 09:43 AM

Quote:
A significant percentage of a sportbike's weight is not iron or steel
Or you could just buy a bike with a massive steel center stand like mine!! I've also heard that dropping your kickstand will help. I've tried it, and the light has changed, but of course who knows if it would have changed anyway:dunno:!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#11)
Got my Permit

April 17, 2003, 10:18 AM

---------------------------
Did your neighbor tell you the sensors were weight
sensitive, or did you come to that conclusion?

Ward,
My neighbor told me that some of the lights in Vienna do have weight sensors, what type exactly, I could not tell you. But I will take his word for it. Hayabusafiend has the best description of the physics of the magnetic field that is created and how to trigger it.

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DJMiniMe Send a message via AIM to DJMiniMe  
Unread
  (#12)
Banned

April 17, 2003, 11:29 AM

actually, almsot all counties have a clause stating if the device is not in proper working irder, i had a conversation with a guy from nova who stopped, waited forabout 4 minutes, and knew the time on the light for when it triggered, and went to court after recieving a ticket for going through and said, the light is obviously not working properly if i, on my ROAD LEGAL BIKE cannot trigger the light, it would take 5 minute of video taping to proove this and then maybe the light would get fixed to be more sensitive, im sure if you alsoi explain this to a cop hes going to be less likely to waste his time, just remember what the turnover time is usually, and dont sweat it, if it wont turn over, you dont have to pay if you stand up fer yerself
Unread
  (#13)
boxing twins

April 17, 2003, 12:48 PM

Isn't GoGoGadget a police officer? :cop:

Hmm, I'm gonna PM him.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#14)
Banned

April 17, 2003, 12:53 PM

yeah, its the same situation as if the lights go out is what i understand
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

April 17, 2003, 09:34 PM

Sitting in court for 3 hours really sucks though