DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 582
2 members and 580 guests
beatle, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Grrrr...bike is idling higher as it stays on
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Grrrr...bike is idling higher as it stays on - November 2, 2011, 08:43 PM

So I only thought there was cosmetic damage to my bike after it slipped out on Sunday. It did fall over on the throttle side...When I got a chance to start it up from a cold start last night and today (even after a warm start after a good 30 min ride,) I'm noticing now it's idling a lot higher. Starts out at about 1300 but then after a min or so it's gradually increases up to about 2400.

I'm not sure if adjusting the throttle screw would help since it does idle for a min at the correct level then goes higher. Definitely didn't do this before...

It's a 06 F4i.

Any ideas?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

November 2, 2011, 08:56 PM

When you lay it down or even modify something on the bike you get into a what I call a "hypersensitive" mode... Every little thing, things you never paid attention to before, become over amplified. Now, I'm not saying what you're experiencing falls in this category but it very well may. Besides that I have no constructive knowledge to share with you regarding this matter

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
No more 1050 :(

November 2, 2011, 09:23 PM

Hmm... you're sure the throttle is snapping back to fully closed? Coulda gotten some dirt in there and it's getting stuck...

Besides that shit I dunno... throttle bodies out of whack will mess with your idle, but that will usually just make it jumpy, don't think it would idle that much higher up.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 3, 2011, 12:07 AM

Check your cables also. Might be in a bind. Also could have knocked the screw. Adjust it and see what happens.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

November 3, 2011, 05:58 AM

I've been trying to find the damn throttle screw and not sure if I'm just blind or the fairing needs to come off. I don't have an 06 manual, but I did find the one for the 01-03 F4i which is fine and all since mechanically they're identical, but the picture isn't helping me find it.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

November 3, 2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
When you lay it down or even modify something on the bike you get into a what I call a "hypersensitive" mode... Every little thing, things you never paid attention to before, become over amplified. Now, I'm not saying what you're experiencing falls in this category but it very well may. Besides that I have no constructive knowledge to share with you regarding this matter
SO TRUE!!!

My rear tire slipped on me twice the other day on a trip to the grocery store on cold roads and tires. On the way back I kept feeling everything was wrong with the bike even when taking a turn at like 5 mph. I even felt like my bike was heavier to the left side than the right side. WTF! All mental.

And to OP...it could be the temperature change. My bike acts different depending on what the outside temperature is like. When it's cold out the bike revs higher almost as if it knows that it needs to work harder to warm up.

Sometimes I get super smooth idle all day long and other days I get very rough idle. Reasons are a mystery. Give it a couple of days or weeks
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

November 3, 2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up about the weather but it was 60 degrees yesterday. Sure in the morning when it was 40 I could see that, but then once the bike was warm it shouldn't stay up there. Also after I drove it home from work on 395 back into DC I let it cool down a bit for 10-15 mins and then started it back up to see if anything changed. Started out correct at 1300rpm, then as mentioned would creep up to 2400 or so and stay there.
Unread
  (#8)
FASTER

November 3, 2011, 10:51 AM

If you got in an accident it wouldn't be a bad idea to strip the fairings off and check for other damage. You would be surprised what can break or bend even on a slow speed crash. Plus then it is easier to get to anything you may need to adjust or check on. I agree with dodge and drz make sure your throttle is snapping all the way back, check cables for binding or pinching, and idle screw. If you landed in the grass good chance with how wet it was you have mud in places it shouldn't be.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

November 9, 2011, 06:14 PM

Just an update that I was able to adjust the throttle screw and bring it back down to 1300 RPM. I did take off the side and front fairings to clean the bike a bit. There was a bunch of dirt and gravel under the front fairing.

Also was able to fix the hole in the fairing where the turn signal broke off and installed the flushmount Protons