DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
6 members and 516 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

August 16, 2003, 12:37 AM

my 2001 gsxr600 will make the cranking noise, but won't turn over. I charged the battery, and thought that would fix it, but no. The guy i bought it from has only ridden it once this summer, that's why i thought it was the battery. It only has 4700 mi. and is in great condition otherwise. The other thing that confuses me is that when I looked at it Wednesday, it started up just fine. Any ideas?

-Charles

'01 GSX-R 600
With TONS of character
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to cecald  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 16, 2003, 03:15 AM

its EFI, so when you turn it on do you hear the fuel pump come on? Does it run, build pressure, and turn off?

After you crank it, does the exhaust smell like gas? This would point towards the ignition system. If not, it may be clogged with bad gas if it sat for that long.

should be an easy fix, usually its nothing complex. If you need some help diagnosing it, hit me up at 571-330-6882.

Matt
02 DRZ400
00 SV650s
08 Vino 125
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to car54  
Unread
  (#3)

August 16, 2003, 03:05 PM

That is kind of weird. I would call the previous own and ask him if there is anything he can think of too. If you just bought it he should be willing to answer your question.

Can you roll start it? Put it in second, start rolling and pop the clutch.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

August 16, 2003, 03:13 PM

you could put it in dealer mode, this might help narrow it down some. theres a black connector in the trunk, just get a paper clip and bend it into a "U" shape to make the connection. turn your bike on and in the bottom right hand side of the LCD display a code will show up. no code is c00. heres a list on the gixxer.com board for codes if you dont already have a service manual, they are in there too.

http://www.gixxer.com/ubbthreads/sho...5&o=14&fpart=1

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

August 17, 2003, 06:44 PM

You can't bump start an EFI bike. Get a multimeter and see if the battery is showing over 12 volts.

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#6)

August 17, 2003, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You can't bump start an EFI bike. Get a multimeter and see if the battery is showing over 12 volts.
What is different between the suzuki and honda?
I roll started my 954 last month. Is there something different between honda and suzuki's FI that would prohibit a roll start?
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 17, 2003, 10:37 PM

No, there shouldn't be. Maybe the 2 EFI bikes I tried to bump start in the past were so far dead it couldn't be done. I thought that with a dead battery, the bike didn't have enough juice to prime the rails and fire off the injector. I've been wrong before. Looks like another one of those times

If you drink and ride, I have no pity for you. At all, ever.
Unread
  (#8)

August 18, 2003, 09:31 AM

I went out for a solo ride to 211 last month, did the hill a few times and blasted back 647 to 55 to sheetz. I had no feeling in any of extremities. Jump off the bike and let blood begin to flow, never turned off my headlights.
Only reason I had the unfortunate experience is b/c I had to be pushed - in the parking lot of sheetz by a few harley riders right down the line of the 50+ group parked there.

Yeah, that was embarassing.

If the battery is that dead then yes, the pump will not work and a roll start will not work.
Starter sucks much more amps and you may get lucky like I did.
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a Realtor in VA

September 5, 2003, 04:42 PM

The special tool that will get you bike in dealer mode is only 11.52 from www.ronayers.com.

I wouldn’t go poking about with a paper clip in any of you connectors with out knowing exactly what you are doing. The dealer mode will list a code that is in the FI troubleshooting guide to the FI system in the dealer service manual. The code corresponds to a fault the system has. It will tell you what’s wrong with the FI system but what are you going to do next. Mistakes you make trying to fix your own FI system with out being properly trained could result in a more costly repair when you finally do take it into the shop. Read “caution” here!

Is “FI” being displayed on your LCD display where you would see you temp? If so is it on all the time or does it flash on and off while displaying “FI” and then the temp?

If your FI indicator is on solid your bike will not start no matter what you do. If it flashes you are in what is call a limp home mode. The limp mode gets you home of to the dealer for service.

An FI bike and any bike for that matter needs enough volts to power the fuel pump and the ignition system. If you have something below 9V, I wouldn’t count on you getting very far at all.

You should also check your Charging system.

I hoped this helped.

I'm a Realtor Licensed In DC and VA
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to highsider Send a message via AIM to highsider  
Unread
  (#10)
God of the Gaps

September 12, 2003, 08:55 AM

Start simple before you go worrying about dealer codes and all. Car54 had it right. Does the FI system pressurize after you turn the key on? If not it could be a simple blown fuse. Doubt you could be this dumb, but I've done it after a wreck when I wan't thinking straight, make sure the kill switch isn't flipped to kill. What can I say, I was pissed that I just crashed and I probably cranked the bike for 2 minutes before I remembered that I killed the engine while it was laying on the ground.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

September 12, 2003, 09:46 AM

You can definitely push start a FI bike, and if the battery is really low but not dead and wont fire you can still push start it, just don’t let it idle.. keep revving it.

Also I thought the 2001 gix 600 was still carbureted, and the EFI was introduced on the 600 in 2002.