DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 565
4 members and 561 guests
BlackHatch, nootherids, superchickencornermonster, tuanogus
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Head bearing adjustment?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm just a little guy

Head bearing adjustment? - June 21, 2010, 02:09 PM

Hey guys,

I'm relatively nub at this stuff, so I am just wondering... why would I possibly need a head bearing adjustment at 2,300 miles? A shop recommended this after they completed an oil change.

Bike has been garaged and decently maintained, and this seems like a problem that arises further down the road. Any way I can tell for myself?

Not sure if it's related or not, but my bike has felt "bumpier" in turns. I think the suspension just needs to be adjusted though, or I need to get a steering stabilizer.

Thx,
corp

in the absence of light, darkness prevails.

2007 Ninja 650R .: Plasma Blue (sold)
2008 Ninja ZX-6R :. Lime Green
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Parkin lot pimpin'

June 21, 2010, 02:47 PM

Well try this....If you get up to about 40 or 50 mph and over about 7 or 8k on the tach, let go of the bars (in a straight line of course). If you need a head bearing adjustment you'll see "head shake". If the bike tracks well and straight without any shaking of the bars or a feeling of uneasiness then you're fine. Mine needed a very slight tightening of the head bearing and it made a world of difference.

Definitely get your suspension looked at, can certainly make a difference regardless of feeling bumpier. Just be careful, sometimes they can set it too stiff for you're likings. My rear is set a bit too stiff and it wants to buck me off every once in a while.

2013 Kawasaki ZX-6R - back at it again
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) Lots o' Mods - SOLD

2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (Toy Haulin)

Last edited by EndoSJ3; June 21, 2010 at 03:04 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EndoSJ3  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

June 21, 2010, 02:52 PM

^+1

Your steering head bearings shouldnt be lose at this point, but if they are they should be tightened, its a quick and easy job.

Lil write up I found online.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/steer-bearing-adj2.shtml

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

June 21, 2010, 03:12 PM

You guys would be surprised on how many head bearing adjustments are needed on new bikes! Plus other things that the factory misses.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 21, 2010, 03:23 PM

There is a reason inspection of steering head bearings is one of the things listed in the Periodic Maintenance Chart of factory service manuals.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
I'm just a little guy

July 27, 2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoSJ3 View Post
Well try this....If you get up to about 40 or 50 mph and over about 7 or 8k on the tach, let go of the bars (in a straight line of course). If you need a head bearing adjustment you'll see "head shake". If the bike tracks well and straight without any shaking of the bars or a feeling of uneasiness then you're fine. Mine needed a very slight tightening of the head bearing and it made a world of difference.

Definitely get your suspension looked at, can certainly make a difference regardless of feeling bumpier. Just be careful, sometimes they can set it too stiff for you're likings. My rear is set a bit too stiff and it wants to buck me off every once in a while.
I tried the "let go of bars at 40+ trick," and there was no wobble. Either way, I may just get my oil changed and have them check the head bearings... how much do you think that'd cost to get done?

in the absence of light, darkness prevails.

2007 Ninja 650R .: Plasma Blue (sold)
2008 Ninja ZX-6R :. Lime Green
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 27, 2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
You guys would be surprised on how many head bearing adjustments are needed on new bikes! Plus other things that the factory misses.
+1 I have tightened many steering hear bearing before the 5K mile mark. You can jack the front of the bike up and check for play as well as check the amount of force needed to turn the bars.