DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
5 members and 518 guests
BlackHatch, nootherids, Slider, superchickencornermonster, tuanogus
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
I need a carburetor guru
Unread
  (#1)
I hate Hybrid drivers
 
david636's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,780
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
I need a carburetor guru - December 11, 2008, 10:42 AM

I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I hate carburetors. They never work right on my old bikes.

I'm trading this bike for a Porsche 914 parts car next weekend and I'd like to have the carbs cleaned and adjusted properly before I trade. The bike is a 1987 Kawasaki LTD 305, it has 2 carbs and i don't know what the height for the floats is supposed to be.

I'd prefer to give you the whole bike so you can test it. The carbs are a little hard to get out but doable. I can bring it to you or you can come over and do it in my heated garage this weekend.

The bike runs, not great but it bogs down when you first start off. You can here it in this video. Last time i tried to start it it was being a pissy bitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vGHPbjEvA

So who wants to help a brother out? I'll pay cash of course.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
December 11, 2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I hate carburetors. They never work right on my old bikes.

I'm trading this bike for a Porsche 914 parts car next weekend and I'd like to have the carbs cleaned and adjusted properly before I trade. The bike is a 1987 Kawasaki LTD 305, it has 2 carbs and i don't know what the height for the floats is supposed to be.

I'd prefer to give you the whole bike so you can test it. The carbs are a little hard to get out but doable. I can bring it to you or you can come over and do it in my heated garage this weekend.

The bike runs, not great but it bogs down when you first start off. You can here it in this video. Last time i tried to start it it was being a pissy bitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vGHPbjEvA

So who wants to help a brother out? I'll pay cash of course.
Is the carb stock?
Have you ever looked into seeing if there are any jet kits out there or what others have done jet size wise in it?
Did it at one time run better?
You may just need to rejet it, idle jet, mixture screw and shim the niddle.
Also with it being dual carbs they need to be synch'd.

Oh, I am no guru. I have jetted a few carbs but only with instructions of what others had done.
I haven't even slept at a holiday inn lately!


To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Bikeless... for now
 
The New guy's Avatar
 
Posts: 850
Join Date: June 6, 2006
Location: Springfield
December 11, 2008, 11:00 AM

get in touch with boomboom929


My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM
 
dodge131's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,567
Join Date: May 31, 2006
Location: NOVA
December 11, 2008, 11:22 AM

If it has sat with gas in the carbs for over 2 months most likely your idle jet is clogged. You will need to take the carbs off and then take them apart to clean and adjust. PM me if you have any other questions.


www.RnRcycles.com


Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
I hate Hybrid drivers
 
david636's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,780
Join Date: May 25, 2006
Location: Woodbridge, VA
December 11, 2008, 11:48 AM

After i bought it i took the carbs apart, cleaned them and put them back together. Prior to me buying it it sat for a few months, maybe even a year.

It's a fairly rare bike, i doubt there are any rejetting things out there.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!
 
n2sport's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,000
Join Date: June 27, 2006
Location: Fredneck MD
December 11, 2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
After i bought it i took the carbs apart, cleaned them and put them back together. Prior to me buying it it sat for a few months, maybe even a year.

It's a fairly rare bike, i doubt there are any rejetting things out there.
The thing is unless someone really knows that bike and what worked and what didn't on it all they are going to do is clean it and synch maybe adjust the fuel mixture screw a little.

Most of the kits I have bought you even have to mess with them a little.
Some could take a larger or smaller main for example and wot it would fall on its face. To test, have bike at WOT and kill it immediately, check plugs. If rich make it 1 smaller, if lean, 1 bigger.

Some would sell different tapored needles, others would just shim and you would have to tinker with it for best results.

On my WR250F I must of had that carb on and off 3-4 times before it ran the way I thought it should.

I did my first jet kit on the Vstar1100 and being dual carbs I didn't synch. It seemed to run fine at times then all of a sudden die or start sputtering and carrying on. I finally decided to try to have them synch'd. It took my friend who is a master mechanic for Battley's a good part of an hour to get it right. After that it ran great.

Hopefully someone can help more. It looks like it was a cool project.


To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
2 wheels for life
 
Deep's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,134
Join Date: August 14, 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
December 11, 2008, 02:47 PM

I wanna learn too but pretty sure I will go back to them .. FI ftw


Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
TPG - screw face
 
Oneway's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,720
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Manassas
December 11, 2008, 03:36 PM

superchickencornermonster
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mutha fuckin cool shit yo


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.