DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 589
4 members and 585 guests
2blueyam, amit, CCS762ZX6, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
I need a mechanical mentor
Unread
  (#1)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

I need a mechanical mentor - May 27, 2014, 09:39 AM

I almost feel as if I should re-introduce myself because I haven't logged on for so long, but I see enough familiar names on here y'all might remember me. I've been riding since 2005 and I always felt more comfortable doing my own maintenance as long as it was basic enough. If I needed professional help, I always felt more comfortable getting a LESSON in how to do something rather than paying some mechanic to take my bike away from me and trust them to return it fixed. Maybe too many visits to Coleman's made me wary although I've gotten good service and Manassas Honda/Kawasaki.

My previous mentors are gone and I feel sort of lost in the whole "repairing my bike" realm. I had some life changes and I'm now living in an apartment without my garage full of tools, also, which makes doing my own maintenance nearly impossible. But my '05 Yamaha FZ6 now needs some maintenance and I need some help.

This is stupid, I know. I can change my own oil. I can tighten my chain (it began popping last night, so it needs to be done). But I can't get my bike up on its center stand and get it off again. I'm always afraid it's going to go over the other way. Also, I just don't have the strength or the right technique. I need a lesson. I need a regular mentor in the Dale City area willing to tolerate questions and text messages when I get stuck.

I've had wonderful teachers in the past and as a result I'm pretty good at the basic stuff. But I never mastered the art of getting my bike on its center stand. Help?

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS Recruiter

May 27, 2014, 10:09 AM

Adopt A Newbie (New 2014 Joint Son)

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#3)
Range Rover Owner

May 27, 2014, 11:35 AM

make sure the bike is in N and on level ground.

with left hand hold the handlebar; keep front wheel straight (i am right handed)

step down on the center stand till both side are touching the ground.

the bike should be on it's center

STEP your whole body weight on the center stand and at the same time with the right hand, lift the rear passenger hand holder
Unread
  (#4)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 27, 2014, 11:54 AM

^---- That's it in a nutshell.

And you aren't the only one who needed to be shown how to get a bike onto it's center stand. I looked like a reject from Benny Hill trying to do it on my first motorcycle.

Have you googled / youtubed for this? Just a thought?

Mud

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#5)
Stop light racer...

May 27, 2014, 12:05 PM

The less you weight the harder it is ... a big fat guy will have no problem, a smaller girl or child may find it impossible.

But basically what iw84u said; it may also require a little jerk backwards as you step down to get things moving.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#6)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

May 31, 2014, 04:05 PM

The stupid thing is that I KNOW how to do it. I've been taught how. I'm just convinced me and the bike are going to topple over in the process of getting in on, or especially getting it off its center stand. I lack confidence. And my back isn't good.... So I worry about the strength thing. I'm not tiny, but neither am I large. I think I just need to do it with supervision a few times.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

May 31, 2014, 04:28 PM

Hopefully someone close by that's familiar will be able to swing by and offer a hand while you go through the motions a few times to get your confidence back up.

In the meantime - If you are on level ground there is very little risk of a mishap. If by some odd happen stance the bike starts to get away from you just step off it. That's cheaper than going down with the ship.

I don't think ones weight plays much of a role. A rider could weigh 500lbs and they still are not going to get a bike up on a center stand with weight alone. The centerstand provides leverage to the process of pushing down while pulling up and back on the bike is what makes it go up on its stand. Using this technique I could pop my 700+ lb Concours up on it's centerstand and I'm not a big guy.

For coming off the stand I mount the bike first and make sure the front wheel is straight. Then lean back a little, followed by quickly leaning forward while giving the bars a shove. The forward shift of ones weight combined with a shove on the bars gets the job done and by already being on the bike it's easy to control it when it comes down.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.