DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 476
5 members and 471 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 1, 2003, 12:33 AM

Never EVER EVER trust somebody to tighten your shit!! Ok that sounds profane. My point is, I just had new tires installed today. Visually inspected everything before I got on it. Didn't have any tools with me, so I couldn't torque anything down, but twisted everything by hand and nothing was noticably loose, although maybe I just flat missed these bolts. Anyway, decided to go scrub in the tires on the back roads of Great Falls. As I came around a corner I heard this CLUNK! Thought, damn, must be that stearing head clunk I have been hearing about, that never happened before. Took a quick glance down at my front end, and there, swinging freely from the brake line is my left front caliper. :o :o WTF!!!! Holy shit!! I don't want to think what would have happened if that happened just before a turn, as opposed to just after, because once a caliper is off, there is not enough hydraulic pressure to work either front brake.

Managed to find one of the bolts in the middle of the road before the last turn while I waited for a ride. Never found the other one.

Thanks for the ride Colin!

[Edited on 6/1/2003 by rddy]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

June 1, 2003, 01:03 AM

DAYUM!

plz tell us WHO did the werk?

~ werd.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not
only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the
American public.” -Theodore Roosevelt
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to OneFunR6  
Unread
  (#3)

June 1, 2003, 01:34 AM

Well, I'm on the fence about saying who it was. On the one hand, I'm pissed as hell, so I'm not thinking too straight. I mean, I probably could have ended up dead and I'd hate to think that it could happen again to me or someone else. So part of me wants to say who it was. On the other hand, it was a mistake that could have happened anywhere. Although I would like to think that shops are more careful about stuff like this, and it should never friggin happen! To me it's inexcusable! I don't know. I'm not big on the whole "these guys suck, never go there" kind of thing for one mistake. Shit I don't know. Will I go there again? I think not! Should I have checked the shit myself? You bet your ass! Could it happen somewhere else? Maybe. Will I ever get on my friggin bike again after any service without checking everything personally? NO! If you think it is inexcusable and you really want to know who it was so you can avoid them, send me a PM and I will respond, but until I think about it some more, I'm not gong to post the name here. Sorry, it's probably wrong.

Why did I post it? Because I think it is important for people to realize that they should not rely on someone else when it comes to personal safety. It's almost ridiculous to think that something as simple as getting new tires can end up putting your well being in jeaopardy so easily. Evidently it can. Check everything yourself! I know some people, including myself, are not intimately familiar with what is involved in removing the wheels, and so telling someone to check it your self, may not help. Maybe ask the person to tell you what they did and have them recheck everything in front of you, I don't know. People make mistakes.

Fuck, I don't know. Ask me when I get back from VIR.

Dammit I'm friggin pissed! :mad2:
Unread
  (#4)
125cc weedwacker

June 1, 2003, 02:04 AM

Dude, that kind of work is inexcusable and negligent. Glad your alright and nothing happened to you. When I work on Dan and my bikes, I always just stop and touch everybolt I took off after everything is torqued down. If I do lots of work, each bolt I touch gets torqued, then I touch it with a colored marker. Then stop and look everything over. See you at VIR

1998 Honda RS125 -Living room show piece
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
I am a nice guy :)

June 1, 2003, 05:12 PM

I want to know who did it.. I dont want to die lol

-Leon
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to leon  
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

June 1, 2003, 09:19 PM

If you had crashed, you may have qualified for a lawsuit against whoever passed your bike off as reasonably safe to ride, as it was clearly life-threatening to ride it.

If a shop returns your bike to you, that's pretty much their word that it's in safe condition to ride.

-Ward
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

June 1, 2003, 09:42 PM

HaHa! Daves being a lawyer, and a little nice . I say spit it out for all to see! I think its a good idea that the people you pay to do stuff like this see the repercusions, be it good or bad. But seriously, no brakes.... different road... wrong time....you'd be dead...easy. I know I'd be pissed.........

------Colin

repent! The alcoholocaust is nigh!
Unread
  (#8)
Addicted to farm animals

June 2, 2003, 07:08 AM

Someone would get a mouthfull from me man. Thats why I do all my own work when I can so I can triple check all bolts and such just because I am anal about that crap. Glad you didn't bite dude because that would have hurt you bad. Go back to the shop and give them hell.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#9)
boxing twins

June 3, 2003, 09:14 AM

I am due for a new front tire so this is very pertinent to me. Please post the shop & the tech's name that didn't finish the work. Yes, people make mistakes, but this is a huge one.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#10)
Pleased to meet me

June 3, 2003, 09:39 AM

Yeah! Give us the name :o

We want the name.
We want the name.
We want the name.
Unread
  (#11)

June 3, 2003, 09:59 AM

Glad you are ok.
I cannot tell you how many times I have worked on the front of a bike, put everything back together; and then take the bike out of my garage having forgot to pump the front brakes. Even at 10 mph that is a terrifying feeling.

I now put tape over the throttle and brake lever just to remind myself.

That is pretty amazing that it fell off, and that you did not wreck. Be pissed, but also you should feel pretty damn blessed right about now.

I would give the shop a chance to make it right with you if you feel they have done good work before for you. Like a full refund of the work and maybe your next mount is free too or something.
Posting a story about a caliper falling off would crush the reputation of a shop for all but the die hard loyal customers. If you would have been injured; and it was a smaller shop that could have been the end of them. Like for real. Out of business.
Unread
  (#12)
boxing twins

June 3, 2003, 11:34 PM

I should never have to recheck the work that I pay a supposedly certified technician for. Moreover, the completed work should never put me in danger. If this had happened to a newbie, they likely would have panicked and crashed. Again, people make mistakes, but the technician should be whipped. I don't care about the shop. It is the tech's work.

-- Chris
BMW R1100s
(previous rides: '82 KTM250, '95 CBR600F3, '98 Buell S3T, 2000 Hayabusa, 2008 R1200R)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hayabusafiend  
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

June 4, 2003, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I should never have to recheck the work that I pay a supposedly certified technician for. Moreover, the completed work should never put me in danger. If this had happened to a newbie, they likely would have panicked and crashed. Again, people make mistakes, but the technician should be whipped. I don't care about the shop. It is the tech's work.
While I totally agree with you Chris, you also have to figure in the lowest common denominator... or the "slacker clause" as I like to call it. While the certified tech may have done all the major work, it may have been some high school kids job to make sure everything was tight. It happened to my Grandfather at Sears... got some new tires put on his car, and while driving home his steering wheel was shaking and there was a thunking noise. Turns out that the Tech put the wheels on finger tight and had his "assistant" tighten them up when they brought the car down. Well he missed a wheel, and by the time my Grandfather turned around and made it back... he only had one lug nut left out of five. They refunded his money. Anyway, the points being that a) Techs are people and they make mistakes too, and b) they NEED to make this right to you...

Dave - Glad you are okay. Give 'em hell buddy!

http://www.mozilla.org/images/product-firefox.pngUse Firefox - Rediscover the Web

KwayZeeyT - (k-way-z-t) adj. To be slightly off or otherwise "Travis-like".

"I don't trust you... but in a good way." - Kim
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to kwayzeeyt Send a message via Yahoo to kwayzeeyt Send a message via AIM to kwayzeeyt Send a message via MSN to kwayzeeyt  
Unread
  (#14)

June 4, 2003, 12:54 PM

Followed up with the head of the service department today. I'll post the results of our conversation and my final thoughts on the matter later when I have more time.
Unread
  (#15)

June 5, 2003, 05:31 PM

Ok well, here goes. I call the head of the service department, and tell him that I wanted to talk to him about some service that his shop had performed for 2 reasons: I wanted him to be aware of the issue because I'd hate to see it happen to someone else; and I wanted to get his perspective on it because I'd like to continue to do business with them, but I've lost confidence in their service. He seems appreciative. So I proceed to tell him what happened. He indicates surprise that this could have happened, particularly with this technician who has 20 years of service with the dealership. I indicate that I was surprised as well. He indicated that he will talk to the technician and thanks me for the information. I'm frankly quite surprised at his reaction. He didn't exactly accuse me of lying, but his reaction certainly didn't give me the warm fuzzies either. No offer of anything at all. No genuine expression of concern, more like a "Hey, thanks for the heads up! Have a nice day!" So I repeat that I would like to continue to do business with them, but understandably don't have a lot of confidence in their service. He indicated that as an incentive to get me to come back, he will give me a discount on my next service.

I say, "what does that mean?" He says, "the next time you bring your bike in for service, we will give you a discount." Yeah, I heard that the first time. I ask again, "what do you mean by discount?" He thinks about it and says, well, since the service issue was one of mounting your front tire, when you come back, we will give you a discount of $40 off your next bill.

A million thoughts are running through my head (Ok, let me get this straight, I just spent almost $600 in your shop to get tires and a new fork seal installed, you negligently failed to tighten the bolts on my left front brake caliper and could have severly injured me, and your response is, I should still pay $100 for the tire mounting (a price that is double what most shops would charge, and would certainly imply that you in fact do a better job) for this negligent service and then bring my bike back to you spend more money with you and you promise you won't be negligent and you'll chop $40 off the bill? Do you have any idea what it means to care about your customers? Is your shop so damn big that you don't need to maintain a decent reputation?)

I indicate to him that I doubt that a $40 discount on future service would give me an incentive to bring the bike back. I suggest that they need to implement some safety procedures to ensure that this doesn;t happen again. I suggest that if they really want to give me an incentive to come back, why not offer me a refund of the service and a free service plan for a year? What would that really cost you? 20% discount on parts or something (you'll still make a profit at your prices), and free mounting when I buy tires (you'll still make a profit, and hey you fucked up putting my tires on, so what's a couple of free mountings?) and there is maybe only a 10% I'll ever come back and use it anyway, but it would at least make me think about it and show that you are willing to make amends.

He responds "I can't just belly up a refund or a free gold plan and say Hey don't sue me." What? Sue? Who said anything about suing? You really have no clue do you?

How hard would it have been to show some concern for your customer? If it were my shop and I heard about this, I would have said "Oh my God, I can't believe that happened. When can you bring your bike in so we can check it over and make sure that everything is tight and safe." Offer a full refund of the $100 tire mounting charge (well, I wouldn't really charge $100 to mount tires, but you get the picture). Offer a free service plan for a year. How much would that really cost you? $100 big friggin whoop, you screwed up, some time to check over the bike (assuming I would even bring it in to let you look at it, big friggin whoop), a free service plan (again, I would have to bring my bike in and buy stuff and you'd probably still make a profit off of me).

I have bought every single set of tires that I have ever bought from this shop and had them mounted there. I have bought every single quart of oil and every single oil filter from this shop. I was in and out of this shop on a regular basis. The shop will probably never get the picture, but they will also never get my business again.

I did talk to some other people from this shop that did seem to show some genuine concern, and indicated that I could talk to them if I wasn't happy after speaking with the head of service, but frankly, it's not really about the money or the discount, its about a genuine concern for the safety and happiness of customers, and I just didn't get that from the guy in charge, so there's really nothing that anyone could do to change that. If it has to be coerced, its not genuine.

[Edited on 6/5/2003 by rddy]