DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 641
3 members and 638 guests
beatle, GRN96WS6, HotRod1200
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Site Owner

May 16, 2005, 01:11 PM

So now that I have a dedicated track bike, I have some questions on maintenance of it since obviously the "recommended" schedule isn't exactly applicable.

- How often do you change oil/filter on a track/race bike?
- How often do you check/adjust your valves, plugs, etc?

Anything else that should be done to get the most longevity out of the engine/clutch/etc?

thanks!

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

May 16, 2005, 01:13 PM

good questions, Im in the same boat.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
BOOOORING

May 16, 2005, 01:32 PM

I change my oil everyweekend and change brake fluid every other weekend. I change the oil filter every other time but check it for metal shavings.

Sams clutch has lasted a whole race season, so far. Mine lasted three weekends, depends on your riding style. I get my race bike tuned at the begining of every year (changing the plugs and checking the valves)

Key to getting a long life out of your bike, don't over rev it! change the oil, and keep it tuned. Each bike will be different depending on how modified your bike is and what you put into it. My bike burned its clutch because I am using a race clutch and have a highly modified bike. Sams is bone stock other than a slip on so hers is lasting longer.

Sam is also a must smoother rider than I am, I really muscle around my bike. Listen to your bike, always error on the side of caution.

since you are doing trackdays and are easier on your bike, you won't have to change it as often as I do. I would recommend changing oil every three to four track days, depending on how long the sessions are and how hard you are working your bike. Spot check your brake fluid, if it starts to get dark... change it. Since you are not racing... go easy on the bike and short shift it. During VIR cornerspeed, I am always in 5th or 6th gear the whole time. I won't overwork my bike if I don't need to.

Cornerspeed Riders School & Cornerspin School-"Roadracing in the Dirt"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Ballaugh Bridge

May 16, 2005, 03:25 PM

What I do:

Oil change at the beginning or end of season, maybe once during the year.
Check valves at the beginning or end of season.
Plugs-Last changed those the beginning of 2004 or when I got back into racing in Sept. '03.
Clutch-Why the hell would I need to change the clutch. 21,000+ miles and it's fine.

My "season" is whatever is in the race schedule, 6-9 rounds of three races and practice. Plus a trackday or two.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner

May 16, 2005, 03:34 PM

Travis, you only change your oil once a season? Hmm...

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#6)
No Touchie!

May 16, 2005, 03:41 PM

Yeah....
More or less what Ivan said...but....
depending on the type of oil you have is how frequent you'll have to change it. Regular oil will get used up quick by your engine. Full synthetic is best for motors that are run hard (like at track days and races).
If you tune your bike and do regular maintenance at the beginning of the season, you'll be fine for the year (unless you crash, check you bike regularly).
Change brake pads at the beginning of every year (mainly just the front and be wary of what type of brake pads you use. Vesrah need changing more than EBCs)
Brake fluid very important, like Ivan said....change it when it turns a little dark.
Check coolant level and constantly check for leaks. You might run into a situation where a rock is thrown into your radiator and punctures a hole (uh hum...ivan!).
Just think about your bike and the last time you changed the battery, charged the battery or changed the spark plugs....if for any reason your bike has a hard time starting (cold weather or not), it might be time to do one of those things.
Having good off season preparation is also key.
Typically clutch will last awhile, a season and a half for stock R6 but riding style and race clutches may need to be changed frequently. Now....do you guys understand why racers get discounts??? See how often we go through this shit!

Sam

In search of the perfect lap......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to sam-197  
Unread
  (#7)
Ballaugh Bridge

May 16, 2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Travis, you only change your oil once a season? Hmm...
Yeah, maybe once in the middle. Even if I managed 200 miles per track weekend, that's still less than 2,000 miles for the year. I use Rotella synthetic 5w-40, 1gallon jug for about $15 at Walmart.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

May 16, 2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
What I do:

Oil change at the beginning or end of season, maybe once during the year.
Check valves at the beginning or end of season.
Plugs-Last changed those the beginning of 2004 or when I got back into racing in Sept. '03.
Clutch-Why the hell would I need to change the clutch. 21,000+ miles and it's fine.

My "season" is whatever is in the race schedule, 6-9 rounds of three races and practice. Plus a trackday or two.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Only thing I can add is to keep fresh brake fluid in the reservoirs, other than that, spot on.
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

May 16, 2005, 04:05 PM

Nascar teams go 500 miles without changing oil, Superbikes go 200 miles at Daytona, DP Rolex cars run 24 hours straight with no oil change; changing oil every race certainly won't hurt, but maybe not as necessary as before.
Unread
  (#10)
You meet the nicest

May 16, 2005, 04:13 PM

Check your shorts after each session

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#11)
Site Owner

May 16, 2005, 04:14 PM

Cool, great info. Thanks guys. See you out there.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

June 21, 2005, 06:31 AM

you could buy some k&N filter it is suposed to last long.service to service and some race blend oil which still last long, and add some STP for your gears to get <<<<stucked together>>>> and get some iridium spark plugs so you dont have to worry that the head of the plug gets in to the pistons because of the high heat and check the shims, valves every 6000-7000 miles. how does that sound. now race blend oil i use ipone it is costing me about 60-70 dollars per 4 liters stp gear addition is less than 15 dollars and then you get the spark plugs prices vary. its not that bad. and if you are taking the bike to the track and you donr push it, why you do it? track days are good to push the bikes so we ruin the engines and then buy new high comp pistons lower the heads new hot cams turbo nos systems, things like that you know. this guys they invented this things for us to use.