DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 525
5 members and 520 guests
BlackHatch, nootherids, Slider, superchickencornermonster, tuanogus
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Test and Tune

LinkBack Thread Tools
Mechanical Help - Advice after Oil Change
Unread
  (#1)
Gone with the wind....

Mechanical Help - Advice after Oil Change - May 7, 2011, 04:16 PM

I'll describe the issue as best as I can....any advice would be helpful. So I took my bike to get the oil changed and have the fluids checked. Itís my 1st oil change so riding difference may be normal but I don't know.

On the ride back home I noticed:

1) The bike (Kawi Ninja 650)seemed to be making a humming and sort of vibration noise up in the area of the ignition and speedometer.

2) Itís not as easy to take off in first or shift to 2nd anymore. I had to roll on the throttle harder for some reason. The bike seemed to rev faster making me think I need to shift sooner than usual too.

3) There is a slight squeak when I brake, which I hear sporadically. This was there before but its louder now.

EDIT***I guess I should add they replaced my right fairing and put a new brake pedal on. The brake pedal seems fine.

Kawi Ninja 650R and ZX6r

Ride In Paradise Tree and Mz Nez

Last edited by Sassygurl; May 7, 2011 at 04:55 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
50th anni

May 7, 2011, 04:17 PM

what kind of oil was in it before, and what kind of oil did they replace it with?

...And Boom Goes the Dynamite!

cbr f3= sold
636= gone
r6= sold
cbr 1k= sold
vino 125= stolen
zuma= yutt uggh
Unread
  (#3)
GDMFSOB

May 7, 2011, 04:29 PM

1: When you hear the vibration, grab your key. Of course be careful not to turn it off, but sometimes the key vibrates in the ignition and makes noise. I know mine does.
2: Wet clutches are often affected by the type of oil that is used. Syn or traditional, base stock, weight, etc. can all affect how your clutch (and transmission) act.
I would assume that you took it somewhere that works on bikes, and did not just dump some generic energy conserving oil in it. If in doubt, no harm in contacting them. Most shops would rather have a customer ask instead of having a bad feeling about them.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#4)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 7, 2011, 04:35 PM

My two cents.Take it with a grain of salt...

May all just be in your head.I always think something screwy is going on...

"What the heck is that jingling? Must be a screw loose in my forks.They're gonna fall off and I'm gonna do the Superman.Oh wait,it's just my 14 keys vibrating"

"Bike is going side to side.Must be a flat tire and I'm going to do the Superman.Oh wait,I have a mohawk on my helmet and I'm behind a truck and my head is going side to side"

"Bike is revving out of control.Must be a bad clutch.Oh wait,I shifted into neutral and gunned it.Still gonna do the Superman"

Can't remember when I had a new bike,but you may be past the break-in period and it's just the way of mechanical things.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#5)
GDMFSOB

May 7, 2011, 04:40 PM

^^ That is the most likely. Good thinking there!
Even when I do my own work, I "notice" something different.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#6)
Gone with the wind....

May 7, 2011, 04:51 PM

I took the bike to Colemans and by the time I could call they closed and won't be open again until Monday. I purchased the bike used, so its past the break in point unless there is one after each service. Not sure what oil was in there previously or what kind of oil was used today. I'll call on Monday and find out.

I don't think its in my head.LOL I pulled onto the highway to turn left and realized the damn thing wasn't moving by just rolling on the throttle a little like I usually do. Kind of scared me. Will check the key for vibrations when I go out again.

***I guess I should add they replaced my right fairing and put a new brake pedal on. The brake pedal seems fine.

Kawi Ninja 650R and ZX6r

Last edited by Sassygurl; May 7, 2011 at 04:54 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
cake > pie

May 7, 2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygurl View Post
3) There is a slight squeak when I brake, which I hear sporadically. This was there before but its louder now.
Check your lever. May just need a little WD-40. My clutch lever was doing it a few days ago. I couldn't really tell where it was coming from at first with my helmet on. Like C2H5OH I blew problem out of proportion in my head and went immediately to worst case senario and though my clutch was fucked in some way. Kaneda zeroed in on the problem while waiting for others before the Lima event and a little WD-40 when I got home and quiet as a mouse now.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
50th anni

May 7, 2011, 05:03 PM

did they put new brake pads on your bike?

...And Boom Goes the Dynamite!

cbr f3= sold
636= gone
r6= sold
cbr 1k= sold
vino 125= stolen
zuma= yutt uggh
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

May 7, 2011, 06:46 PM

+1 on the oil and WD-40.

Its possible its just the new oil. Synthetic is a big difference than reg oil depending what you had in there prior to. WD-40 on the lever is a good look if its not the brake pads. Make sure the fairing tight. PM you
Unread
  (#10)
Gone with the wind....

May 7, 2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthe_now View Post
Check your lever. May just need a little WD-40. My clutch lever was doing it a few days ago. I couldn't really tell where it was coming from at first with my helmet on. Like C2H5OH I blew problem out of proportion in my head and went immediately to worst case senario and though my clutch was fucked in some way. Kaneda zeroed in on the problem while waiting for others before the Lima event and a little WD-40 when I got home and quiet as a mouse now.
I'll try the WD-40 and see how it does throughout the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3_Chimp View Post
did they put new brake pads on your bike?
No, I thought maybe she needed some, which is why I asked for them to do a check over. Brake pads weren't recommended though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanechick75 View Post
+1 on the oil and WD-40.

Its possible its just the new oil. Synthetic is a big difference than reg oil depending what you had in there prior to. WD-40 on the lever is a good look if its not the brake pads. Make sure the fairing tight. PM you
Checked the fairng and made sure it was tight, Thanks...will call him Monday.

Kawi Ninja 650R and ZX6r

Unread
  (#11)
Groping is a skill...

May 7, 2011, 11:36 PM

What kind of oil was in your bike before? If they put mineral based oil after having synthetic in there you may feel quiet a bit of difference with a wet clutch. I think the rest of it is in your head as some have mentioned. Some of the issues you mentioned were probably there. You just became uber sensitive to all the little noises post service.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Gone with the wind....

May 8, 2011, 07:29 AM

I had my brother come over today and check the bike out. He held a few things while riding. Apparently, the vibration noise is coming from the windscreen. The fairing which was replaced is slightly loose.

I guess the issue with taking off came from having the oil changed and possibly a wet clutch. He said it shifted fine even starting out at 2000 rpms, so maybe it was the new oil.

I sprayed some WD-40 on the lever as suggested. If that doesn't help, I'll try spraying the brakes as someone suggested on another forum.

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
You just became uber sensitive to all the little noises post service.
I've heard this a lot across the forums. LOL Yes, I probably did become more sensitive after the oil change.

Kawi Ninja 650R and ZX6r

Last edited by Sassygurl; May 8, 2011 at 07:22 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

May 31, 2013, 09:02 PM

coleman. ugh. I would take it back if it isnt making any power
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

May 31, 2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygurl View Post
I had my brother come over today and check the bike out. He held a few things while riding. Apparently, the vibration noise is coming from the windscreen. The fairing which was replaced is slightly loose.

I guess the issue with taking off came from having the oil changed and possibly a wet clutch. He said it shifted fine even starting out at 2000 rpms, so maybe it was the new oil.

I sprayed some WD-40 on the lever as suggested. If that doesn't help, I'll try spraying the brakes as someone suggested on another forum.

Thanks everyone!
Wait, wat? Spray the brakes with what? I can't think of anything you want to ever spray on brakes. Seriously, I don't know what someone told you but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#15)
Railing!

May 31, 2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH View Post
My two cents.Take it with a grain of salt...

May all just be in your head.I always think something screwy is going on...

"What the heck is that jingling? Must be a screw loose in my forks.They're gonna fall off and I'm gonna do the Superman.Oh wait,it's just my 14 keys vibrating"

"Bike is going side to side.Must be a flat tire and I'm going to do the Superman.Oh wait,I have a mohawk on my helmet and I'm behind a truck and my head is going side to side"

"Bike is revving out of control.Must be a bad clutch.Oh wait,I shifted into neutral and gunned it.Still gonna do the Superman"

Can't remember when I had a new bike,but you may be past the break-in period and it's just the way of mechanical things.
Never a truer statement made. It seems like anything that changes in just the slightest becomes the most horrifying thing ever.

Luckily for me when i started to hear some weird clicking sound when I braked I didn't just blow it off. Turns out my upper folk holder has a crack in it.

2007 ZX-6R

Joshua